Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (14) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum and QE2 re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Hifiguru Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 16 2012, 10:35

so we basically get existing hdcd remasters in different packages?

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 16 2012, 10:48

Quote (Hifiguru @ June 16 2012, 10:35)
so we basically get existing hdcd remasters in different packages?

Only time will tell  :)
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: June 16 2012, 10:52

Quote (dazzler @ June 15 2012, 06:42)
I will certainly buy both deluxe editions.

I have all Oldfields Virgin stuff on vinyl, and have been waiting
for ages to buy decent CD releases of Mike Oldfields backcatalogue.
I never bought the previous remasters because they had no bonustracks.

Ofcourse it's a pity that there is no Sally or Allright Now on this release.
But then again, I missed Don Alfonso on the Hergest Ridge remaster.

I like to believe master tapes are deleted, lost or damaged,
because Sally and Allright Now weren't really proper releases.
The first one withdrawn and the second one on flexidisc.

Maybe Universal had no entry to those tracks,
or maybe the compilers didn't bother about their existence.

I also miss The Path (a 1979 recording that was released
a the b-side to Shine), but it may resurface on Islands deluxe.

Isn't the Polka version on the Platinum live bonus disc
the same recording as the Arrival b-side? I guess so.

And isn't Punkadiddle on the QE2 live bonus disc
the same recording as the Five Miles Out b-side?

I hope Five Miles Out, Crises and Discovery will come as a trio
with all the non album singles and b-sides on it. The 12" versions
(can be found on the Platinum 3CD box) are no must in my opinion.
Maybe some live material from that era would be more welcome.

I think Sally is regarded as released even though it was recalled. Quite a few got out there .
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 16 2012, 11:12

There's also this on Amazon:

Two Sides: The Very Best Of Mike Oldfield
Mike Oldfield (Artist) | Format: Audio CD

This title will be released on July 23, 2012.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 16 2012, 14:03

At the risk of repeating myself, it's a 1976 recording.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 16 2012, 15:12

Return of the Curse of the Missing Masters, I think...

If Virgin had waited a few more years, there would likely have been rare tracks galore on the 200? re-masters.  I've been anticipating the inevitable appearance of Sally and its replacement on separate discs but on seeing the reality of the announcement, I went with TOBY in presuming that (given a choice) Mike elected not to resurrect some awkward musical memories.

I'll take both deluxe editions, thank you.  Plenty of mysterious music for me to discover.  I may yet, but I've not been tempted to seek out all the live bootlegs - they seem to be permanently up on eBay these days - so there's a couple of hours of entertaiment sorted.  And QE2 is one of those albums I've been saving for a rainy day - never really wanting to reach the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 16 2012, 16:17

Quote (familyjules @ June 16 2012, 14:03)

At the risk of repeating myself, it's a 1976 recording.

Jules

Yes indeed, it was recorded for the Reflections film, as was Woodhenge. Much has been said of Sally not sitting well with the rest of Platinum, I think if that's the case then maybe Woodhenge doesn't either. Personally I grew up listening to my Dad's copy of Platinum which featued Sally. When I got my own copy I thought there'd been a mistake at the pressing factory when I heard Into Wonderland, especially with the sleeve mistake. I still can't get my head round Into Wonderland so I'm gutted that we're not getting a proper release of it especially as I just ebayed that old copy, I was sure we'd be getting a Sally-Paltinum, oh well!

Incidentally I think Sally sits very well on the album; it's quirky and eccentric and shows a flambouyancy not worn by Oldfield until that point, just like the rest of the album really!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 16 2012, 19:00

I'd like to add one more comment of mine about the remasters matter (old or new? who knows! :D). I generally don't trust present-day remasters, meaning everything that's been reissued as remastered versions from 2008 onwards. This is because 2008 is when the so-called "loudness war" started. And since it started, most new CD releases (both entirely new albums and reissues of old albums) have been (re)mastered to sound incredibly loud (with all of the original recordings' dynamics flattened out), so that even the crappiest recordings sound good when they're ripped into iPods and listened to on those goddamned devices (which I hate). All major record labels dove head-first into the war. The results haven't always been bad, of course: on the old CD edition of The Alan Parsons Project's Ammonia Avenue, you could hear the piano at the start of the title track only if you cranked up the volume - and then you were forced to turn it down in the middle of the track, where it gets really loud! :D In the 2007 remaster the piano rings out clearly at a normal volume level and the loud section is still loud. But that was 2007. In 2008, Billy Joel's The Stranger was given a 30th Anniversary remaster by its original producer Phil Ramone, and it got incredibly loud. I've never heard the original album (until very recently, when I bought Billy Joel's Complete Albums Collection, I only had his live stuff), but in the newer release the bass drum in the "Brenda and Eddie" section of the lenghty song "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" just thumps away - thump, thump, thump, thump, thump. thump, thump... - all through that section and also in other parts of the song. And the saxophone sounds like the saxophonist is right in your face. Were those instruments really supposed to sound that way? I have no idea.
Anyway, I think we can consider ourselves lucky that none of this has happened to Mike's stuff so far. TB, HR and Ommadawn are all remixes (as opposed to remasters), so they manage not to sound excessively loud, you still hear all of the dynamics. Incantations 2012 does sound a little louder than the previous CD, but the new incarnation is clearer, and omits all of those hisses, whines etc. which were a minus on the old release, so I don't really mind about the volume level having been increased a bit on that release. :) If the remasters we're getting right now are indeed the 2000 remasters, then we still can consider ourselves lucky, because I've got two (Exposed and Amarok) and to me they both sound much better than the original releases, and not louder. :) So I see this as a good chance to get that stuff for people like me, who didn't manage to get it the first time around. What the heck, they're still pre-loudness-war digital remasters, so let's not bitch too much about them. :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
pauken Offline

Posted: June 16 2012, 19:41

The loudness war started a LOT earlier than 2008. I've been complaining about it for at least 15 years :)

Also, although TB, HR and Ommadawn were remixes, they were all still mastered before release. It's not specifically "remastering" that makes something excessively loud. There is no difference between the "mastering" of a new recording or remix and "remastering" of an existing album, it's the same process and the mastering engineer will decide how much compression and limiting he will apply to crank up the loudness at that point.

Happily, there seems to be a bit of a renaissance for sane mastering lately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: June 16 2012, 20:37

Here's a new link that just showed up on Amazon.co.uk and is slated for release this year.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Icon-Mi....sr=1-10

ICON: by Mike Oldfield (in music)

Could this possibly be the mysterious project of a lifetime!?!
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 02:41

Quote (christopher @ June 16 2012, 20:37)
Here's a new link that just showed up on Amazon.co.uk and is slated for release this year.

No, it's just another compilation....

http://www.discogs.com/Mike-Oldfield-Icon/release/3674268
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 05:47

Quote (pauken @ June 16 2012, 19:41)
The loudness war started a LOT earlier than 2008. I've been complaining about it for at least 15 years :)

Also, although TB, HR and Ommadawn were remixes, they were all still mastered before release. It's not specifically "remastering" that makes something excessively loud. There is no difference between the "mastering" of a new recording or remix and "remastering" of an existing album, it's the same process and the mastering engineer will decide how much compression and limiting he will apply to crank up the loudness at that point.

Happily, there seems to be a bit of a renaissance for sane mastering lately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

This is not saying whether I like Abba or not :) but this link is a wonderfully comprehensive description of the treatment some of their albums have had over the years and it also confirms that their most recent re-releases (Deluxe versions ala Oldfield) have restored the dynamics.
http://www.abbajustlikethat.comyr.com/1_4_Audiophile-Corner.html
I'm delighted that there has finally been a backlash against this 'brick wall' approach to remastering.
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 06:47

Quote (equinoxe @ June 17 2012, 02:41)
Quote (christopher @ June 16 2012, 20:37)

No, it's just another compilation....

http://www.discogs.com/Mike-Oldfield-Icon/release/3674268

What an extremely weird compilation! Trying to imagine how those tracks sound together makes my mind boggle!

Who is this "Faye Irving" who allegedly compiled this?

Does she have a clue about music and MO in particular?

bizarre.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 08:05

@ pauken: yes, of course the phenomenon has been around for many years, but 2008 is when it gained worldwide prominence. Do you remember all the fuss about Metallica's Death Magnetic sounding much better in its Guitar Hero downloadable version than on CD? :) About (re)mastering, I do know that it's the final stage when making a CD (or any other musical release), and that the way a release sounds depends more on the way it's mastered than on the way it's mixed. However, as far as I know, Mike was closely involved in the remixing of TB, HR and Ommadawn, so I don't think he would've allowed anyone, least of all a mastering engineer, to make any substantial alterations to the way his remixes sounded. He was less involved in the Inc. remaster, which is why it sounds slightly different. Judging from what I've read here and elsewhere, he seems not to be involved at all in the remasters of Platinum and QE2. We'll see... ;)

@ Highlander: thanks very much for the Abba-related article, very interesting. Yes, I think that the whole of 2010 and 2011 saw a trend reversal - not complete, but still a reversal.

@ Cudsie: evidently ms. Irving, whoever she is, was trying to show everything that Mike Oldfield is about in a single disc, that's why "Harbinger" and "The Tempest" and "Angélique" are there in addition to other better-known tracks. Of course, we all know that showing everything that Mike Oldfield is about in a single disc is nothing short of impossible. :D Even the 4-CD edition of Elements is, IMHO, not a complete representation.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 17 2012, 09:04

Quote (christopher @ June 17 2012, 02:37)

doubt it.. this is the track list

Tubular Bells
Moonlight Shadow
In Dulci Jubilo
Spanish Tune
Harbinger
Ommadawn (Excerpt)
The Tempest
Angelique
Family Man
Guilty -long Versio
The Gate
Sailor's
Portsmouth
Incantation Part Four (Excerpt)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
alejandra Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 10:01

So, the new editions are the 2000 remasters of Platinum and QE2 but without the HDCD coding (plus some live stuff), so for those with the right equipment they will sound a little worse than the old HDCD editions.
So multitrack masters are missing but mysteriously North Star is remixed (from original multitracks, I presume)...mmmmmm...
So the price is the same as the former editions with DVD...
mmm...
So the rhythm of releases will continue to be two each year...
let's see...Amarok in year...will there still be physical CDs by then?
A whole year assembling...the old HDCD remasters...mmm
HA-HA-HA...HAPPY...      HAPPY?????
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 10:38

The HDCD remasters of these two particulary albums (Platinum and QE2) sounds great for me, but i already have this ones (along with all other 2000 remasters) so... if i want to listen to 6 bonus tracks and two concerts i must pay also for a material, which i already have... And probably i'll do it.

But, however, i have a deep hope that this would be a 2012 remasters...
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 10:43

"After speaking with our release department, I can confirm that the first disc of both albums is the remastered recordings from 2000.
  If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
Thank you."

HA...HA...HA...HA...HA...HA...HA...HA...HAPPY NOW?
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 11:52

Quote (Ugo @ June 14 2012, 17:17)
I don't like "Sally" within Platinum. I love it as a standalone song, but I don't see how it fits within the album - the way it sounds is totally different from all of the other tracks.

Okay, but I'm not sure how this is relevant - the new Deluxe editions are going to have a bunch of bonus tracks stuck on the end anyway (which will undoubtedly ruin the 'feel' of the album), so why not just stick Sally on the end anyway with the rest of the bonus tracks? Or put it on CD2 with the live songs?

Obviously the re-release of any album should be tastefully done so that the listening experience is not diminished - but there's a win-win scenario in which we have a nice new, uninterrupted version of the album AND Sally as well.

Quote (Ugo @ June 16 2012, 19:00)
I'd like to add one more comment of mine about the remasters matter (old or new? who knows!;) I generally don't trust present-day remasters, meaning everything that's been reissued as remastered versions from 2008 onwards. This is because 2008 is when the so-called "loudness war" started.

Again, I'm not sure how this is relevant - just because some remasters have been done badly recently, it therefore means that any remaster of Platinum is likely to be poorly-handled as well?

There have been many, many excellent remasters in recent years, and you are missing out on some wonderful music if the phrase 're-mastered' instantly puts you off!

Analogy alert: just because 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' was a bad film, doesn't necessarily mean that all movies with John Malkovich in are terrible!

Ugo, you often talk a lot of sense - but here it seems like you're trying to conjure up non-sequitur arguments purely to justify the fact these releases aren't half as comprehensive as previous titles in the range.

Quote (Ugo @ June 14 2012, 17:17)
When the deluxe edition of Incantations came out, Mike said that he couldn't make a 5.1 mix because the masters for the entire album were bad and/or damaged and/or missing. So I guess that "Sally" isn't here for the very same reason.

Now this is a good point! I'd guess that the real reason is that, now we're into the 1980s and the big hitters (TB, HR etc) have all been remastered, there's no point putting in all that extra effort. No DVD, no signed editions...  I guess they can no longer justify it when you consider the likely sales figures for these releases.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 17 2012, 13:27

Quote (starfish @ June 17 2012, 17:52)
Ugo, you often talk a lot of sense - but here it seems like you're trying to conjure up non-sequitur arguments purely to justify the fact these releases aren't half as comprehensive as previous titles in the range.

Well, not really. I really wasn't trying to dismiss the new releases as inferior to previous ones, and I also wasn't trying to dissuade anyone from buying them because they are inferior. I, for one, have ordered them because (1) I'm a fanatic and a little bit of a collector and because (2) I don't have the 2000 remasters of those albums, so I consider this a nice chance to hear them - as I said, the 2000 remasters I do have (Exposed and Amarok) are excellent. I don't really care about the bonus tracks and I don't care at all about "Sally". That was my point. I guess I worded it badly, as usual. :) I also think that these remasters aren't aimed at the hardcore fans (unlike the first three... where it was more than clear that a higher amount of care and dedication, by Mike and, slightly less, by Universal, had been put into them) but to the general public and to anyone who didn't buy the original albums ... there will probably be people who'll get to know Mike through these, so I'd really like them to keep on coming in 2014, 2015, 2016 etc. Anyway, I fully agree with you about the extra costs for DVDs etc. not being justified - because, as I said, I don't think these releases are aimed to Oldfield fans, nor the future ones will be.

--------------
Profile PM 
273 replies since June 14 2012, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (14) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net