Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum 5.1, Does it exist? Will it exist?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Antonuzzo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 12 2018, 15:02

Apologies if this has been asked before, but are there any plans afoot for a 5.1 reissue of Platinum? I recall reading a while back that the master tapes had deteriorated, possibly beyond recovery.

I've just become the owner of a surround system  :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 12 2018, 20:06

Quote (Antonuzzo @ Sep. 12 2018, 15:02)

I've just become the owner of a surround system

That sounds like a straitjacket  :laugh:

(Sorry, I've been reading some of the funny conversations from years back in another thread and it's put me in a flippant mood)
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2018, 06:19

Quote (Antonuzzo @ Sep. 12 2018, 15:02)
Apologies if this has been asked before, but are there any plans afoot for a 5.1 reissue of Platinum? I recall reading a while back that the master tapes had deteriorated, possibly beyond recovery.

I've just become the owner of a surround system  :)

It seems to me that he sees himself as Semi Retired.

So can potter about on TB4 & occasionally when the juices get flowing, can work furiously on TB4.

In the meantime we hope for the Deluxe editions continuation to the Legendary Amarok 5.1

So very unlikely to revisit something he has already revisited, even if the mastertapes are in pristine condition
Profile PM 
Antonuzzo Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2018, 09:37

I'm not sure I'd agree with that - RTO wasn't something that someone who considers themselves to be semi-retired, IMHO.

Having listened to the 5.1 mixes of Ommadawn, 5 Miles Out etc - it's clear that a a lot of work and love went into them. So maybe he doesn't hold QE2 or Platinum in high regard?
Profile PM 
Mi-D Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2018, 14:35

Quote (Antonuzzo @ Sep. 13 2018, 09:37)
I'm not sure I'd agree with that - RTO wasn't something that someone who considers themselves to be semi-retired, IMHO.

Having listened to the 5.1 mixes of Ommadawn, 5 Miles Out etc - it's clear that a a lot of work and love went into them. So maybe he doesn't hold QE2 or Platinum in high regard?

You mean 5.1 Miles out :O
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2018, 19:55

In Australia it would be 8 Kilometres Out... 8 KO  :O
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2018, 05:43

Quote (Antonuzzo @ Sep. 13 2018, 09:37)
So maybe he doesn't hold QE2 or Platinum in high regard?

Or he doesn't have the multi-tracks. I know that was the case with Incantations.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Antonuzzo Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2018, 14:17

5.1 Miles out - bravo sir, bravo.

In terms of having the original masters - good point! I think that in the case of Incantations, that was the case where the master tapes were FUBAR.

I've been listening to the 5.1 remixes of the available stuff and they're absolutely incredible. I've heard other surround remasters, but these are really musical - I hear a total understanding of what's going to work in the quad field and how best to mix for it. The only other ones that come near are the original Floyd mixes of Echoes and Atom Heart Mother.
Profile PM 
7 replies since Sep. 12 2018, 15:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net