Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum, Rarity?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Hastengas Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 03 2010, 11:31

I had a troll through the rarities section looking to see if there was any info regarding the "Sally" track. I was told many years ago that I had a rare copy in as much as its the "Sally, I'm just a gorilla" track whereas most of the other pressings had "into Wonderland" albeit many album covers still said it was Sally.......what do you know?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2010, 12:46

"Sally" (i.e. the track where Mike sings "Sally, I'm just a gorilla...") was on the first pressings of the album, but then Richard Branson thought it was too funny (or too weird) and inappropriate; the song was removed from all the reprints (including the CDs, of course) and Mike replaced it with a more "normal" song ("Into Wonderland"); however, the cover was never altered. This means that you do have a rarity indeed. :cool:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2010, 10:44

Thanks Ugo, always nice to seek confirmation. I suppose I ought to buy the common version now...
:)
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2010, 05:08

Ive managed to find a good quality version of the common variety now.....however the title has been changed to "Into Wonderland" on this cover, although Im aware many state "Sally" when indeed the song is Into Wonderland.....seems I have two out of three now...
:-)
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2010, 05:28

i havent managed to get sally track lp yet...needs to be uk matrix B1 or B2...i sometimes bought cheap uk lps just to try my luck but failed :P

i have sally track in tape version of platinum though which is common to get...about all uk tapes that are sold in ebay are with sally.

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2010, 11:10

Mine is an A5/B3 - as purchased for £1.99 at a record shop in the mid-'90's and in complete ignorance of the facts, although I later worked out why this was the first time that the shop owner had the courtesy to check my records to make sure the vinyl was in good condition(!;)

I haven't gone out of my way to find the rarer pressings but I'm galled by another shop owner who in charity shops and jumble sales has apparently found 11 over the years... :(

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2010, 09:36

The rare Sally is V2141 A1/B2 has the Platinum centre piece artwork

Into Wonderland version 201206 A2/82 S 11 roman numeral 2
and 201206 B-1/779S roman numeral 6 this has the Virgin Records red side 2 and green side one centrepiece.
Profile PM 
Rider in the Blue Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2010, 16:05

My 'Into Wonderland' copy is V141-A3 /B-3 and has the Platinum artwork on the record label. It also has three raised dots in the central area, though idk if these signify the third pressing.

I think Virgin didn't use red/green labels until the 1980's. But idk. I keep a lookout for 'Sally' copies, alas there's only one second-hand record shop in my town. Ah well...

--------------
"Our hope's with you..."
Profile PM 
7 replies since Dec. 03 2010, 11:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net