Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Place your bet about 'Return to Ommadawn'!!!, Add any bet you imagine about it!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 17 2016, 16:27

I was thinking of how full of expectations we all are about this new Mike's release... probably the most exciting moment since days of the making of 'Tubular Bells 2003'!! And then I thought... what about just guessing things about it and playing something like a virtual quiz or similar about details or characteristics it's gonna have.

I thought about a few things:

1- Will the opening of side A similar to

-the opening of side A in the original
-the opening of side B in the original
-just none?

2- Will there be a little vocal chant in the fashion of 'On Horseback'

-at the end of the album
-somewhere else in the album
-nowhere at all?

3- Will the end of side A be

-a replica of the end of side A in Ommadawn
-a very peaceful piece
-something in between?

4- Will there be

-a super-fast descending solo in the fashion of the one between the harp & violin melody and the end of side A
-a bagpipe part in the fashion of the one at side B in the original Ommadawn
-both
-none?

5- Will the cover be

-another portrait of Mike behind a rainy window just like the Ommadawn & Amarok ones
-a portrait with no rainy window
-something else?

6- Will it be divided in

-Three different parts like the original
-just part 1 and 2 like TB, HR and so...
-many little tracks to make it easier to handle them like TSODE, TB2003 or QE2?

7- Will there be vocalists

-similar to Clodagh Simmonds or so, chanting no words or just fonetic words
-vocalist or vocalists singing proper lyrics
-no vocals at all???

8- Will the title be

-'Return to Ommadawn'
-'Ommadawn 2'
-something else???

For a start I just propose these 8 questions. Anybody can add other questions with three possible answers, the only rule being just trying them to be objective enough for being able to measure them when the album is released, examples being not talking about its good or bad quality, its critical acclaim, etc etc.

(even when I admit some of the questions might be not 100% objective :) )

I think it's just a good idea to get entertained between us & release a bit of the anxiety and anticipation for the new album's release.

Humorous questions are welcome as well as they obey the rule already explained!!!

I thought every right answer could be 3 points, every answer not given would be 1 point (you just choose not to answer that specific question and then you make sure you have one point) and the winner might earn a bit of respect and appreciation from the rest as well to some gift that could be proposed by the administrators (in the case they just feel like doing it).

Place your bets!!

Oh, and I almost forgot... please abstain to participate it if you suffer from the CEN disease... it may be risky in that case!!! Just consult to your doctor before you make up your mind about it. :D :D :D

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 17 2016, 17:04

Ok Delfín I thought you had a great idea as usual, myself I would choose the following answers:

1- About the opening:

-it will be very similar to the side B original opening.

2- About a part similar to 'On Horseback':

-yeah, at the end.

3- About the end of side A:

-No answer (1 point).

4- Fast descending guitar solo & bagpipe parts:

-There'll just be another bagpipe part.

5- About the cover:

-another portrait of Mike behind a rainy window just like the Ommadawn & Amarok ones.

6- About the track division:

-just part 1 & 2.

7- About vocals:

-Vocals with proper lyrics on them.

8- About the title:

-Something else - no 'Return...' or 'Ommadawn 2'.

I take the most risk on the last one. It's a tricky one. Remember for example how 'Light and Shade' was going to be called 'Quicksilver' a few months before the release. He said 'Return to Ommadawn' in his last message but I'm sure he hasn't made up his mind 100 % about that title and is still balancing some other alternative titles. But I admit I play with fire on that one.

Plus to say I've got the feel for no special reason that the album will open in the foggy, dark and somber way of the original's opening of side B.

Who's next anyway??? Go ahead :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 18 2016, 15:46

Impressed. 53 views no comment. It's either too good or too bad. :P

--------------
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: April 19 2016, 04:21

Thanks for your post, Delfin; I'm sure we all appreciate it.

I was holding back for a quiet life myself but if you insist. :D  I'm keeping my expectations in check. This will probably ruffle some feathers and even offend some viewers but it's perhaps better than no discussion...

1- About the opening:

It will probably ease very gently into things, then it will lay right back and chill out; more reminiscent of Voyager than the work of the tormented genius that created Ommadawn. Mansions in the Bahamas haven't so far really proven conducive to bohemian style rock output.

2- About a part similar to 'On Horseback':

There probably won't be such signs of youthful exhuberance; we probably shouldn't really expect them at this stage.  

3- About the end of side A:

I expect it will fizzle out over short duration in a somewhat non committal fashion.

4- Fast descending guitar solo & bagpipe parts:

I don't suppose there'll be much collaboration with other musicians at all, so that probably rules out bagpipes. Not expecting much in the way of astounding virtuoso style solos.

5- About the cover:

Sadly Trevor Key can't contribute. There are other great artists of course, but I don't think we've really seen any terrific cover art on Mike's albums since the 80's.

6- About the track division:

Just part one and two. This is good. While Hergest Ridge and Incantations are among my most highly regarded albums, I quite liked the format of one "side long" piece with a mixed bag on side two; like FMO and Crises. This seemed like something that could appeal to old school fans while giving Mike a chance at some airplay for the folks that are easier to please. Personally I could never consider the likes of Max Bacon and Luke Spiller a good fit for Mike so I'd probably be disappointed if something like that happened now.

7- About vocals:

Again I don't suppose there'll be much collaboration with other musicians at all. IMO Mike's music has in the past benefited from some input from others.

I always liked Mike's voice in the right context, which is mostly backing vocals, not what happened on Heaven's Open or anything like that.

8 - About the title:

I agree, it won't be "Return to Ommadawn". I thought we were supposed to have already been there with Amarok but I'm for it.

In short I am expecting a bit of a cartoon of Mike's early albums, kind of like Sanctuary turned out. Nice but without all the unmitigated audacity and teeth of something like Ommadawn.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 22 2016, 15:49

On and counting!!! Thank you First Excursion for your share which was full of common sense and I would agree with in its majority. Although I do expect a lot of roler-coaster according to commentsMike has had on the work and the release of the owrking titles of the parts.

As you said similarly somewhere that list takes me back more to 'Amarok' than 'Ommadawn'. It for sure is gonna be kind of a third part of kind of a trilogy and that adds even more expectation to the whole!!!

You said you don't expect vocals but I'm sure there might be some surprise in that direction. Once more, thanks for sharing, and hope more of use get encouraged to share thoughts in this light hearted bet/pre-quiz post.

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 23 2016, 15:25

I'm seriously concerned about "On Horseback". I'm quite he'll turn it into something as unfunny and soulless as the Sailor's Hornpipe section from TB2.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 23 2016, 20:45

Well I'm sure it won't respect the original's structure in the way B2 respected B1's. I think that's what we can conclude by all around his coments and the tracklist he's shared. Am I right?

--------------
Profile PM 
6 replies since April 17 2016, 16:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net