Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Phil Spalding clip on news< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 23 2009, 08:13

Came across this clip of our old Phil after a bit of a search. Poor guy been through rehab and got hepatitis. Looks well though. Not much different.

http://www.nme.com/video/id/MmZcLT9GBiA/search/Phil%20Spalding
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2009, 16:26

78 views and not one person commented  :O
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2009, 09:44

Poor guy.Serves as another reason not to do drugs,or rather anything that you have to inject.He seemed quite up about it though.Hope it continues to go well for him.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 08 2009, 10:01

Quote (The Caveman @ Dec. 08 2009, 09:44)
Poor guy.Serves as another reason not to do drugs,or rather anything that you have to inject.He seemed quite up about it though.Hope it continues to go well for him.

He looks very "up" in promo videos for songs such as To France and Holy. In the last couple of Peter's Pop Show-clips he sure looks hyperactive.
I never understod why an excelent bass player such as Mike would need a session bassist for his recordings, but Phil plays on Crises, Islands, Earth Moving and (I think) Heaven's Open. I guess he's one of those guys who nails the track in two takes!
I hope Phil doesn't relapse. You need to take care of youself when you have hepatitis C, or you liver will punush you - hard!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2009, 10:00

I agree Mike is an indredible bass player.I think Phil came in on the recommendation of Simon Philips when they were planning Crises.Phil had a more 'modern' feel to his playing than Mike's.Plus he'd need a bassist for live work,even though Mike did play bass on some stuff live.
 The videao's i've seen of Mike live from that period show Phil clearly really enjoying himself.One question arises though.What the hell what that headless monstrosity he's playing on the TV appearance of To France on the Elements DVD?

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2009, 15:17

Quote (The Caveman @ Dec. 09 2009, 10:00)
I agree Mike is an indredible bass player.I think Phil came in on the recommendation of Simon Philips when they were planning Crises.Phil had a more 'modern' feel to his playing than Mike's.Plus he'd need a bassist for live work,even though Mike did play bass on some stuff live.
 The videao's i've seen of Mike live from that period show Phil clearly really enjoying himself.One question arises though.What the hell what that headless monstrosity he's playing on the TV appearance of To France on the Elements DVD?

I thought he played the infamous headless Hohner. It was very popular at the time and actually a good bass guitar. It was widely believed among non-musicians that a person playing a Hohner was in fact playing a "synth-bass". It looks kind of futuristic, doesn't it?

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2009, 04:38

Oh yes.I remeber them now.Played the guitar version.Very odd thing to play.The trem was clever though.Kept the whole guitar in tune all the way down if dive-bombed.Ned Steinberg had a few good ideas. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2009, 10:53

Quote (The Caveman @ Dec. 10 2009, 04:38)
Oh yes.I remeber them now.Played the guitar version.Very odd thing to play.The trem was clever though.Kept the whole guitar in tune all the way down if dive-bombed.Ned Steinberg had a few good ideas. :laugh:

It's a bit like playing a neck without body or head.
The guitarist from Devo used to play the guitar version!

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2009, 16:58

When I saw him at the Wembley gig I did think he was a little strange and a bit too hyperactive. I wonder if he was using drugs then. Mind you, was Mike ? He always preached against them but years later in Ibiza.......
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2009, 10:31

Quote (ian @ Dec. 10 2009, 16:58)
When I saw him at the Wembley gig I did think he was a little strange and a bit too hyperactive. I wonder if he was using drugs then. Mind you, was Mike ? He always preached against them but years later in Ibiza.......

There's been some discussion about the interview segment of the Elements DVD, but I don't know....

Normally the 60s and 70s are the decades most associated with drug culture but from what I've heard the 80s were horrible. Hard drugs became very cheap and easy to get hold of. The "mellow" drugs were out and the "ego" drugs were in. There's propably more than one reason why it's called the "me-decade"!

I read an interview with Bryan Ferry where he points out that Roxy Music was more or less a drug-free band back in the groovy 70s but by the time they were riding the charts with hotel-lounge friendly songs like Avalon in the early 80s, the drug situation was totally out of control.
Lars T

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2009, 19:28

I hope Phil manages to stay well and off the drugs. Drugs and the music industry prove to be a lethal mix that cause long term damage. Mike has admitted in many interviews his battle with substance abuse and alcoholism. He has managed to stay off them. Now he has the two young ones he wants to stay sober. Its not just the illegal drugs that kill some of the young bright kids. Prescription drugs are abused.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2009, 02:14

Quote (ex member 419 @ Dec. 11 2009, 19:28)
I hope Phil manages to stay well and off the drugs. Drugs and the music industry prove to be a lethal mix that cause long term damage. Mike has admitted in many interviews his battle with substance abuse and alcoholism. He has managed to stay off them. Now he has the two young ones he wants to stay sober. Its not just the illegal drugs that kill some of the young bright kids. Prescription drugs are abused.

I'm surprised Mike haven't ended up worse. He was using Valium in his early 20s for panic attacks. Once you have become dependent on Valium it's just hell trying to quit (and hell to keep on taking them because the effect wears off!;).
Illegal or legal drugs doesn't matter. Even though most of us can drink in moderation alcohol is dangerous drugs that simply ruins the life of a person predisposed for dependency.
Lars T

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2009, 04:31

Well said Larstangmark! Hopefully Phil has a strong social network and support to help him and stop him from relapsing. And Mike I truly felt for the man. When he was thrust into the media, he was young, shy and not wanting publicity. No wonder he was taking Valium for panic attacks. It must have been frightening for him. But being the man he is he confronted the problem and sought help. He stayed dignified and avoided scandal, and he overcame his addiction and today is well balanced and sure of himself and the risk of drug taking because he went through hell!
Profile PM 
12 replies since Nov. 23 2009, 08:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net