Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: People who like "Incantations", (we're a rummy lot eh)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
memberd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 24 2012, 05:37

Incantations was the first 'new' Oldfiled album I came across and bought as a teenager - I'd never heard even heard Tubular Bells, let alone HR & Omma.
Completely fell in love with it and still am . .I know it's long, it's complex, it's not always 'easy-listening' and even a tad "boring" in places but I never grow tired of it.
It's my first MO-music  'love'!

PS was gutted when I got the first CD edition which cut it short! ;)

--------------
"...inside, and the positions are reversed..."
Profile PM 
memberd Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2012, 03:53

God, I love this album.

I'm a bit slow but I only just got the Deluxe Edition and it is amazing .. Just love what he's done in creating "Diana" and "Diana Desiderata" . .genius.

BTW in the Piano Improvisation one can hear bits of Guilty (ie. Incantations) and Platinum..right? I'm no musician but I've got a pretty good ear...  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2012, 08:44

You do indeed.  It was a fruitful improvisation for sure if it spawned an unexpected hit and a major theme from MO's next album.

The Diana remix (not Desiderata which with the Hawkinsesque vocal becomes a bit cheesy) is pretty nifty... very subtle, makes me wish he's actually do a bit more of this this.
Profile PM WEB 
memberd Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2012, 09:00

Quote (BornInTheUK @ Sep. 11 2012, 08:44)
You do indeed.  It was a fruitful improvisation for sure if it spawned an unexpected hit and a major theme from MO's next album.

The Diana remix (not Desiderata which with the Hawkinsesque vocal becomes a bit cheesy) is pretty nifty... very subtle, makes me wish he's actually do a bit more of this this.

Thanks Born . .thought so..

Yeah, what is is with that "vocal" over Desiderata? What's that all about?

--------------
Profile PM 
zilbanne Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2012, 20:09

Hi All! When I was young, in 1973 I heard Tubulars Bells, you know the cutdown version used in " The Exorcist ".   It blew me off my chair!  Later my brother in law, played me Hergest Ridge, when it was still fairly new. I liked it.  Then I bought Tubular Bells and Ommadawn when Ommadawn was new in 1975 or 1976 I think. For years I happy to listen to only those three albums, though I knew others existed.

Well recently in the last few years I became enlightened again through the original Tubular Bells and  began buying  "ALL" of Mike's music.
Incantations is amazingly visual for me.  When I listen to it I imagine an ancient forest, with all kinds of people and animals, before everything was modernized.    It has water, Leaves, wind, sky... etc.   Often the tempo of the music sounds just like that of native American dances too. I love it.
Members of my family, mostly a nephew, listen to Oldfield music.
Still nobody listens to Incantations that I know of. My nephew composes music for video games proffesionally, so I want to play incantations for him.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2013, 05:19

Quote (Ghostmojo @ Aug. 27 2011, 07:28)
I like Incantations but only with certain caveats. It is a double album that probably should have been stewed down to its essence on a single album. There are many sections that go on far too long and quite a bit of instrumental filler (particularly guitar solos and drum beats) which suggest that the ideas weren't strong enough to really fill four sides and so things get stretched out a bit to compensate. Side One is the essential bit. The rest is superfluous in many respects.

Completely disagree - it is the length that gives it the 'magic touch' and time for the themes to develop. Your comment reminds me of that 'too many notes' line in Amadeus.

I see the same comments on the last Neil Young album and feel the same way - it is what the artist intended and I am happy to deal with it on those terms - I for one don't feel qualified to 2nd guess Mike or Neil.

[EDIT] Oh, and on the OP - my daughter also loves this album so I know at least one other odd person besides myself :)
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: July 04 2013, 13:29

I like it so much I've just covered Side Four in it's entirety...cheeky cross post to here:

http://tubular.net/forums....109;r=1

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
scienceguy Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2014, 05:40

Quote (trcanberra @ Feb. 09 2013, 05:19)
Quote (Ghostmojo @ Aug. 27 2011, 07:28)
I like Incantations but only with certain caveats. It is a double album that probably should have been stewed down to its essence on a single album. There are many sections that go on far too long and quite a bit of instrumental filler (particularly guitar solos and drum beats) which suggest that the ideas weren't strong enough to really fill four sides and so things get stretched out a bit to compensate. Side One is the essential bit. The rest is superfluous in many respects.

Completely disagree - it is the length that gives it the 'magic touch' and time for the themes to develop. Your comment reminds me of that 'too many notes' line in Amadeus...

I also completely disagree with GHOSTMOJO, and wholeheartedly agree with TRCANBERRA.

INCANTATIONS is a PROGRESSIVE piece wherein its length is absolutely appropriate and in fact an essential part of its makeup....

IMO it is a MUSICAL MASTERPIECE.... I love it! One of my guilty pleasures is to sit down and listen to the whole thing from start to finish, which IMO is indubitably the best way to listen to it... Without a doubt one of my favourite Mike Oldfield albums! :)
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2014, 08:00

Incantations is one of my absolute favourite albums, and part of it has to do with the atmosphere that builds up and develops with the music. Length has never been a problem for me.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 02 2015, 08:44

Coming back to Diana-Desiderata.  I was reminded with the death of Leonard Nimoy that he, too, recounted "Desiderata." The original piece was by Max Ehrmann and has actually been recited by many--I wonder how Mike came to it? I was listening to Mike's "Desiderata" over the weekend and still love it as much as when I first heard it. Sometimes we all (well, most of us! ) need to hear that message!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiderata

As for the entire album Incantations, I have loved it consistently since first hearing it in 1978.  The length is perfect--it is the soundtrack of my life. I can even measure traffic jams by it, e.g., a couple years ago there was one that lasted the entire length of Incantations! It was otherwise a nice day, and what a great opportunity to listen to Inc in its entirety, eh? :D It's also been around for births, weddings, etc.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: May 16 2015, 16:42

One more question to add to the ever-growing list of what to ask Mike if I ever get the chance:  was he enough of a Trekker to buy Leonard Nimoy's Spock albums?!  Perhaps we can expect a lyrical version of Highly Illogical in the special edition of Amarok! :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2015, 00:58

I like incantations very much. I listen to it while I jog.

I am a youngster and I like the long music Mike Oldfield makes. I actually have an edited down version of Part 2 that only contains the "Hiawatha" bit. It's quite beautiful.
Profile PM 
31 replies since Aug. 20 2011, 11:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net