Part 1 (Tracks 1-7) 8  [34.78%]
Part 2 (Tracks 8-14) 15  [65.22%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Part 1 vs Part 2, Which do you prefer?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 11 2007, 18:08

MOTS may be divided into 14 tracks, but I like to think of it as two long instrumentals.  So, which do you prefer?

In Mike's previous albums, I almost always like Part 1 and find Part 2 quite boring (including Incantations)... but in MOTS I find the tables have been turned.  I think that while Part 1 is nice enough, Part 2 is more consistent.

What do you think? :)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 11 2007, 22:22

I don't have a strong preference for one half over the other but, if I had to choose a favorite, 'Part One' would have a slight advantage as it's pretty close to perfection from start to finish. I really can't find fault with 'Part Two' but, if I were to nitpick, I'd say that "Prophecy" isn't as engaging as other sections, and that - for me - the real bliss doesn't begin until "Harmonia Mundi" on through to the end.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 12 2007, 10:37

I also can't pick between the two halfs at the moment. Both seem to have their moments (both great and not so great). Maybe as time passes and I get to buy and listen to the final version I'll have more of an opinion!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2007, 19:28

I think Part II is slightly better, but maybe it's just because I love the finale... :D However, as Matt puts it, I'd better wait to hear the final work before judging.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2007, 22:37

I voted for part two as I love the Incantationsesque Aurora and the guitar work on Harmonica Mundi is simply the best plus the great finale of Musica Universalis.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 03 2008, 05:25

I went for Part 2 - but it was a very close call.  I really like The Tempest and Shabda, but then Part 2 has Harmonia Mundi, Musica Universalis and Aurora is growing on me.
Profile PM 
desecrateddawn Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 18:20

I loved both parts, but I felt the same too.... there was something about the first part that really moved me. So I've voted for Part 1.

:)

--------------
www.desecrateddawn.com
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: April 04 2008, 22:00

Quote (Moz @ Nov. 11 2007, 18:08)
MOTS may be divided into 14 tracks, but I like to think of it as two long instrumentals.  So, which do you prefer?

In Mike's previous albums, I almost always like Part 1 and find Part 2 quite boring (including Incantations)... but in MOTS I find the tables have been turned.  I think that while Part 1 is nice enough, Part 2 is more consistent.

What do you think? :)

Incantations - that's parts one and two accounted for - how do you feel about 3&4? (with apologies for going OT).
Profile PM 
Taynie Offline

Posted: April 05 2008, 06:12

I don't really get this Part 1 versus Part 2 game. (or side 1 versus side 2) ?!

I see 14 tracks.

Some tracks talk to me more than others.

--------------
once these things get going it's jolly hard to stop them again
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: April 05 2008, 07:07

I think the reason you 'see' (interesting choice of words, you're supposed to 'hear';) 14 tracks, is because Mike rather foolishly named them all. This seems very unnecesary, and it does - you are right - lead the ear across the shape of the music. Mike actually complained about how hard it was naming the tracks. He's making it hard! Tubular Bells 2003 effectively names all of TB, as did TB2. He didn't do it with Amarok or the first four albums and its a sort of hang-over from the pop music commercial world that it helps accessibility. But I think it hinders the music a little bit, and all the contributors to this thread are right that there are two sides and I have been trying to hear them that way from the start and finding the naming of specific pieces gets in the way. One or two have said "x" bit lets it down or makes it for them in comparisons. I find it refreshing that people had to refer to the passages in the music by describing the music or giving the timing on those earlier pieces. Its a shame. The power of perceptions, not a note changes but somehow the ear is led. I can't distinguish the two halves much but I do find the second half makes me close my eyes but also intruiges me more. There's a sort of eastern flavour to the woodwind that gives it a new life, probably clarinets (please god, album not to hand, let there be clarinets...)

Hope this makes sense!
Profile PM 
Taynie Offline

Posted: April 05 2008, 10:06

Quote (Marky @ April 05 2008, 07:07)
I can't distinguish the two halves much

Me neither. The 'ear is led' across 14 tracks that to me feel all connected and therefore 1 piece of music (not 2).

With TB, Ommadawn, & HR there was 2 very distinctive sides I agree and with Incantations 4.

This 'favourite' aspect to the question (Part1 vs Part2) feels too simplistic cos for me it's a journey through 14 tracks. That's not to say I don't have my favourite moments/tracks in the piece which I have played over, ie T3,T11,T14 etc, but  I can't catagorise in terms of the first 7 tracks are 'best' or the last 7 tracks are 'best'.

There's more melancholy in the 1st 7 tracks, and that may influence a preference to bypass it, if I'm not in that frame of mind, and start on track 8.

But for me it's 1 piece of music, not 2 pieces, or 2 sides, or 2 parts,and it's got 14 movements in it.            ;)

--------------
once these things get going it's jolly hard to stop them again
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: April 06 2008, 06:36

Let me immediately state that I greatly enjoy the entire MOTS, as an whole; this time, I also have patience with the TB related parts, because I feel Mike tries to explore them seriously this time (in contrast to TB3, e.g.). They sound great, I think.

Having said that, I find the first 3 tracks least interesting. (but the 2nd half of Siluette is just lovely! ).

Tempest is amazing I think! Very very good.

But I am most impressed with the 2nd part, i.e., from Aurora and forward. The 2nd movement of MOTS is one of the most solid and wonderful piece ever written by Mike, in my opinion. All of it is great, perhaps best ever by Mike...?

And, people; how woonderful it is after all with all the instruments being played by humans!! I have nothing against electronics actually, just lazily programmed such ...[/I][I][/I]
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 05:13

This poll never did get many votes, I wonder if a few more people have an opinion on this now that we've had a chance to get to know the album a bit better? :)

I still prefer Part 2, and it still feels rather strange to be choosing Part 2 over Part 1.

To answer an earlier point, I like Incantations Part 3, but Part 1 is better. Part 4 is possibly the best of all, probably tied with Part 1 - although this is really a discussion for the Incantations forum. :)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2009, 23:35

Listened to the whole album again today, and I find I very much prefer the second half. While The Tempest is one of my favourite sections, and Harbinger is nice enough, the rest really doesn't particularly capture my imagination. Even On My Heart is better in the reprise, I feel.

The second half, on the other hand, starts out fabulously, ends fabulously (both Empyrean and Musica Universalis are among my favourite sections), and the stuff in between is more interesting than in the first half as well.
Profile PM 
13 replies since Nov. 11 2007, 18:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net