Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: part 1 ends to early?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bonkers Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 06 2005, 03:31

anyone else thought this?...ommadawn part 1 ends to soon,it sounds asif its just kicking into somthing great then.. :/ the end
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: April 06 2005, 04:48

Quote (bonkers @ April 06 2005, 03:31)
anyone else thought this?...ommadawn part 1 ends too soon,it sounds asif its just kicking into somthing great then.. :/ the end

No I think it's perfect as is.  Ever hear that old saying "leave them wanting more"?  Sounds like it worked in your case!  Heh.  If you need more then put it straight back on again!   :)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 06 2005, 06:05

I think it builds up to a great climax, and ends at just the right point. I can't imagine it going any further.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 06 2005, 06:30

funny that you say that... because the first time i ever heard this end part i thought it was more on the album. I only had the exerpt version of this part on the complete album.
Then, i bought the album to hear the all together for first time..
But i cant remember i was dissepointed... actually.. because the album was so good. I remember that i loved the horseback and the final on part two  ;)

But there is another song too on the hergest ridge. If you have the complete mike oldfield album. The exerpt song from complex section nr 3. This song ends like i will hear more..

So then i bought hergest ridge in tenerife in my holiday. They had mmmaaany mike oldfield cd's
:D

this gave me xtra good holiday  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 06 2005, 08:55

I think that the end part of Ommadawn part 1 could be just a little shorter. Just a few seconds, mind you. It had always seemed just slightly too long for me.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: April 06 2005, 08:58

Quote (hiawatha @ April 06 2005, 08:55)
I think that the end part of Ommadawn part 1 could be just a little shorter. Just a few seconds, mind you. It had always seemed just slightly too long for me.

Hiawatha, do you mean the drum fade out (in which case I could possibly agree) or the climactic finale In which case I couldn't possibly agree)?

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 06 2005, 09:03

I thought of clarifying that before I posted, but didn't. I meant the climax BEFORE the "closing cadence" of drums.

Just a few seconds, perhaps, and I am not sure which ones. I am not adamant on this (or Amadan't either...and I won't even go into Adam Ant right now! ). My favorite part of "Ommadawn" side 1, for a long time, has been the first few minutes.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: April 06 2005, 09:09

Quote (hiawatha @ April 06 2005, 09:03)
I am not adamant on this (or Amadan't either...and I won't even go into Adam Ant right now! ).

LOL

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 06 2005, 09:10

Yes, I admit it. I listened to Adam Ant's "Friend or Foe" yesterday.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 06 2005, 16:25

Ommadawn is pure perfection as it is :)  ;) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 06 2005, 16:55

No need to go further than that - the final swell of the instruments and huge BOOM of the tympani fading into the silent drums really work here. Now that I see Hiawatha saying it, it wouldn't be a really bad idea to shorten the climax just a few seconds - those moments with the loud instruments and the lead guitar just going "*bloop*... ... *bleepity bloop*... ... ... ... *bloop-a-bloop*... ... *bleepity bloop*" feel like pushing it a bit too far, but like him, "I'm not too adamant on it" (did Hiawatha find the endless well of hilarious puns or something? They just don't stop coming). :)

But then, I prefer Part 2, so I dunno.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 04:15

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 06 2005, 16:55)
Now that I see Hiawatha saying it, it wouldn't be a really bad idea to shorten the climax just a few seconds - those moments with the loud instruments and the lead guitar just going "*bloop*... ... *bleepity bloop*... ... ... ... *bloop-a-bloop*... ... *bleepity bloop*" feel like pushing it a bit too far,

Oh God no - those bits are righteous!!  Edge of the seat exhileration!!  I wouldn't change a hair.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 04:57

Quote (familyjules @ April 07 2005, 09:15)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 06 2005, 16:55)
Now that I see Hiawatha saying it, it wouldn't be a really bad idea to shorten the climax just a few seconds - those moments with the loud instruments and the lead guitar just going "*bloop*... ... *bleepity bloop*... ... ... ... *bloop-a-bloop*... ... *bleepity bloop*" feel like pushing it a bit too far,

Oh God no - those bits are righteous!!  Edge of the seat exhileration!!  I wouldn't change a hair.

Jules

I agree 100% with you Jules. :)  To change Ommadawn in any way would be sacrilege :O .

Sorry if I'm off topic here, but if Hiawatha did find the well of endless puns, see his posts in my topic "What MO abum do I play at the dentists", there's some great puns by him there :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: April 07 2005, 09:23

Ommadawn Side 1 is as near to perfection as you will ever get. It is awesome.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
amarokian Offline

Posted: May 05 2005, 16:41

Part One ends perfectly and divinely...Such a climax I have never encountered many times in music (generally speaking)Masterpiece...

--------------
These posts are hazardous to the health of cloth-eared nincompoops.If you suffer from this condition after you read my posts,consult your doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
HearItAll Offline

Posted: July 11 2005, 12:36

Leave it alone.  The final drums actally go on longer in the remix version (Boxed).  I like them both equally.  Don't touch perfection, or it will come back and bite you while you're on horseback.

"Hey and away we go!"
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 11 2005, 14:25

Revisiting this idea, I now think that Ommadawn Side 1 is too short, of all things. For many of its sections, I really start to enjoy them, and then they are over too soon. Imagine a 60-minute (Amarok-length) treatment of Ommadawn Side 1....

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 12 2005, 04:26

Quote (hiawatha @ July 11 2005, 14:25)
Revisiting this idea, I now think that Ommadawn Side 1 is too short, of all things. For many of its sections, I really start to enjoy them, and then they are over too soon. Imagine a 60-minute (Amarok-length) treatment of Ommadawn Side 1....

Yeah I could handle that.  Or a 60 minute combination of sides 1 and 2 would be even better with parts of side 2 spliced into part 1 so that the finale of side 1 is the overall climax.  Or would that just be too Frankenstein's monster-ish?

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 04:38

Hehe. This reminds me of Amadeus when Emperor Joseph tells Mozart "There are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect".

Quote (hiawatha @ July 11 2005, 14:25)

Oh wow. A sixty-minute Ommagasm.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2007, 17:20

Quote (Sweetpea @ Dec. 09 2007, 08:38)

[quote=hiawatha,July 11 2005, 14:25]Revisiting this idea, I now think that Ommadawn Side 1 is too short, of all things. For many of its sections, I really start to enjoy them, and then they are over too soon. Imagine a 60-minute (Amarok-length) treatment of Ommadawn Side 1....

Oh wow. A sixty-minute Ommagasm.

Oh yes please, a 60 minute Ommagasm :D .  I must admit I've had many Ommagasms to Ommadawn :D, so glad my boyfriend also enjoys listening to Ommadawn too  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
37 replies since April 06 2005, 03:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net