[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: part 1 ends to early?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 10 2007, 20:55

Quote (hiawatha @ July 11 2005, 14:25)
Imagine a 60-minute (Amarok-length) treatment of Ommadawn Side 1....

... I'll have nightmares forever.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
imhotep Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 11 2007, 18:57

Crazy talk.

It is the perfect composition.
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2007, 20:48

I think, rather oddly, that it sounds perfect just the way it is. To make it any longer would probably spoil the magic of it. Of course, I wish it could last forever as the feelings it evokes in me are so strong. However, by making it longer, it would lose something as well.

However, my idea of a 60-minute Ommagasm would just be having the album on a loop, which I have done many times before. It never loses any of its magic, no matter how many times I listen to it.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2007, 05:53

Quote (SoimSandheaver @ Dec. 18 2007, 00:48)
I think, rather oddly, that it sounds perfect just the way it is. To make it any longer would probably spoil the magic of it. Of course, I wish it could last forever as the feelings it evokes in me are so strong. However, by making it longer, it would lose something as well.

However, my idea of a 60-minute Ommagasm would just be having the album on a loop, which I have done many times before. It never loses any of its magic, no matter how many times I listen to it.

I agree Sandheaver.  I guess if you put Ommadawn on a loop you could make an  Ommagasm as long as you wish   :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2008, 07:58

The unfortunate truth is that Mike will probably never do an album like this again.It's a big part of my musical life though and is crystalised as it should be.I think it is probably the best thing he has ever done,and we should enjoy it as it is.
Besides which he couldn't extend it effectively cos he flogged everything he used (unless the eagle eyed Yan or Korg can tell me different)on it.
Another thing of course is that Mike did say that Amarok is close to Ommadawn 2.
 60 minutes of Ommadawn?Cool idea but could anyone take that much intensity for another 25 minutes?What would he put in there?There's African,Irish,eatern European,English folk and a brass band so maybe a german oompah band and a doowop section?

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Mark Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2008, 15:05

To me it's the best thing he ever did. He's come close now and then but never quite matched it. I love this piece and it's probably my favorite album by anyone ever, (with 'Echoes' from Pink Floyds 'Meddle' album running a close second), and I never ever tire of it.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2008, 14:04

Hey Mark.A kindred spirit!Meddle rocks.There are other paralels (god i can't spell) here.Just as everyone says "oh yeah Dark Side Of The Moon"when you mention Floyd,so everyone goes "Tubular Bells" when you mention Oldfield.BUT althogh these albums are the best sellers and best known albums by Floyd and Oldfield it doesn't neccesarily follow that they are the most enjoyable.To me Ommadawn and DSOTM are better albums than their more famous siblings it's just they weren't as big.1973 was a cool year.Shame i was -2 ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2008, 17:13

Quote (The Caveman @ Feb. 14 2008, 11:58)
The unfortunate truth is that Mike will probably never do an album like this again.It's a big part of my musical life though and is crystalised as it should be.I think it is probably the best thing he has ever done,and we should enjoy it as it is.
Besides which he couldn't extend it effectively cos he flogged everything he used (unless the eagle eyed Yan or Korg can tell me different)on it.
Another thing of course is that Mike did say that Amarok is close to Ommadawn 2.
 60 minutes of Ommadawn?Cool idea but could anyone take that much intensity for another 25 minutes?What would he put in there?There's African,Irish,eatern European,English folk and a brass band so maybe a german oompah band and a doowop section?

Amarok close to Ommadawn 2, still trying to work that one out :/ , when I first heard Amarok I was expecting Ommadawn 2, but ended up with something completely different  :/ , still have never qute git over that one, unless maybe Mike means Amarok is Ommadawn 2 in that many of the same musicians play on both albums. Musically I would say that Amarok is closer to Tubular Bells than Ommadawn, but Amarok is a piece in it's own right, as it's unique, no weird, no matter how many times I listen to Amarok I just can't get into it.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2008, 17:22

Quote (The Caveman @ Feb. 15 2008, 18:04)
Hey Mark.A kindred spirit!Meddle rocks.There are other paralels (god i can't spell) here.Just as everyone says "oh yeah Dark Side Of The Moon"when you mention Floyd,so everyone goes "Tubular Bells" when you mention Oldfield.BUT althogh these albums are the best sellers and best known albums by Floyd and Oldfield it doesn't neccesarily follow that they are the most enjoyable.To me Ommadawn and DSOTM are better albums than their more famous siblings it's just they weren't as big.1973 was a cool year.Shame i was -2 ;)

DSOTM??? :/ , did you mean Meddle??? , Caveman.  I love DSOTM , but I think that Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, and Wish You Were Here sometimes have the edge over DSOTM, I can never seem to make up my mind over my favourite Floyd album.  I guess it's the same with Queen, everyone seems to site A Night At The Opera as their epic album, I agree it's epic, what with '39, Love OF My Life, and The Prophet's Song, amongst it's track listing   :cool: , but amongst Queen fans Queen II and A Day At The Races are up there as all time favourite albums.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2008, 04:45

Aha.I meant that Meddle is the better album (to me anyway-it's all subjective).And by Ommadawn 2 i was referring to Mike's response to Bransons insistance on calling Amarok TB2.He said it's closer to Ommadawn so maybe he should call it Ommadawn 2.See Changeling.Big oops on my part.Soory to confuse.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 18 2008, 08:09

I find Dark Side of the Moon the culmination of everything Pink Floyd is and was supposed to be; the other albums all have some "sore point" that sticks out, for better (Meddle) or for worse (The Wall), but in Dark Side of the Moon, everything absolutely comes out right. Same thing with Amarok.

According to all I've read, and as far as I can hear, Ommadawn was the starting point for Amarok, and that's the main connection between both. From then on, the latter album took on its own path and blasted off. The genesis for both albums, though, is what makes them somewhat connected.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2008, 09:06

Which is pretty much what i meant,it's just i probably didn't phrase it correctly and made some daft typos (sorry Moon).I think Amarok is one of those albums that you either get into and fall in love with or you don't get (i fall frimly into the former-i adore it and have since my first listen).I think it's down to the fact that it's 60 minutes unbroken and you need an hour to spare to listen to it and ,unless you have a cassette copy, you have to go back to beggining every time you hit stop which can be irritating.
 I didn't mean that Amarok is Ommadawn 2 in a literal sense as this is patently untrue.There are similarities (Paddy on pipes and Jabula being the 2 most obvious)but in terms of the feel and influences i feel it's closer to Ommadawn than TB.
 Anyway i didn't actually mean to cause ant consternation or confusion.And Moon.......Queen 2 rocks!!!Ogre Battle should be played at nothing less than deafening volume and White Queen brings the same lump to my throat now as when i was a sensitive 15 yr old kid  ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2008, 17:36

Quote (The Caveman @ Feb. 18 2008, 13:06)
Which is pretty much what i meant,it's just i probably didn't phrase it correctly and made some daft typos (sorry Moon).I think Amarok is one of those albums that you either get into and fall in love with or you don't get (i fall frimly into the former-i adore it and have since my first listen).I think it's down to the fact that it's 60 minutes unbroken and you need an hour to spare to listen to it and ,unless you have a cassette copy, you have to go back to beggining every time you hit stop which can be irritating.
 I didn't mean that Amarok is Ommadawn 2 in a literal sense as this is patently untrue.There are similarities (Paddy on pipes and Jabula being the 2 most obvious)but in terms of the feel and influences i feel it's closer to Ommadawn than TB.
 Anyway i didn't actually mean to cause ant consternation or confusion.And Moon.......Queen 2 rocks!!!Ogre Battle should be played at nothing less than deafening volume and White Queen brings the same lump to my throat now as when i was a sensitive 15 yr old kid  ;)

I really don't know about Amarok, i find it has more similarities to Tubular Bells, than Ommadawn, but I just can't get into it, no matter how I try.

I agree about Queen II Ogre Battle just has to  be blasted at a deafening volume, White Queen is a most beautiful song, one of the  greatest songs ever written    :)  :D , often makes me cry as it's so beautiful.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 05:26

Quote (raven4x4x @ April 06 2005, 06:05)
I think it builds up to a great climax, and ends at just the right point. I can't imagine it going any further.

I agree.

Though Part 2 ends too early  ;)
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 21:37

I listened to both Amarok and Ommadawn at work today, in order to get through the last two hours of my boring job. Sometimes I can't get into Amarok but today was one of those days when it made perfect sense, not as background music, but its jarring, all-over-the-place nature hit the proverbial nail on the head for me.

Anyway, back onto topic ... Ommadawn probably stands alone as the one Mike album which is renowned for its brevity, at about 35/36 minutes is it his shortest? As I was listening to Part One, I felt maybe one more crescendo at the end would be nice, but the sudden ending just as it's really getting going is such a 'wallop!' moment it would be heresy to change it. Less is more sometimes.

PS. White Queen is a tune and a half!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2008, 01:11

Quote (trcanberra @ Feb. 29 2008, 05:26)
Part 2 ends too early  ;)

Just as it's getting really good, too! As much as I love Ommadawn, it's "Part One" that's the main event. "Part Two" takes too long to get to the good stuff - namely, the big, jaunty guitar part - and once it gets there, it's over in like two minutes! Grrrr. Thankfully, there's the lovely "On Horseback" to end things on a satisfyingly happy note.

Quote (Major Gowen @ July 18 2008, 21:37)
I felt maybe one more crescendo at the end would be nice, but the sudden ending just as it's really getting going is such a 'wallop!' moment it would be heresy to change it. Less is more sometimes.

In this case, I agree. Maybe that's because of the intense emotional buildup leading to that ending?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
ettlz Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2008, 11:36

I think it ends at just the right time, and is very well constructed. The only minor thing I would change is to make the electric guitar in the solo at the end more "prominent" in the mix and give it a little stereo reverb. But that's it.
Profile PM 
Snow Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2017, 16:01

OP raised this a few years back!!

But if they are referring to the chant element that starts at approx 12.29 and ends at 15.49 with the guitar coming in - then I actually agree with him. The build between these 3+ minutes is brilliant and I think one more part of the chanting with the evocative vocals and swirling keyboards would have been very welcome!

Who says you cant improve on perfection :)
Profile PM 
37 replies since April 06 2005, 03:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net