Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: out of mind< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 07 2006, 06:41

After hearing this album for the first time recently i was surprised at how good it was. I had left it for a while because it didn't really reach out to me but finally took the plunge. Although it's not his strongest work of the time (I'm more of a fan of TB2 and Amarok) i have to say clearly and wholeheartedly that Out Of Mind is perhaps one of mike's greatest pieces. I have never found a piece of his that makes me want to groove and smile as much as this one. When the whole section gets going with the bass line and rhythm section over those simple chords it is just amazing. I would class this as what i like to call one of mike's 'mini-masterpieces', by that i mean a track that is on the level of his large scale pieces but obviously a lot shorter. I feel the same way about mount teide live from the complete cd, a real mini-masterpiece!

Anyone agree?

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Luca Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2006, 07:00

Yes, totally :D Mount Teide is one of my all time greats too!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2007, 14:50

This is a great piece, but I'm always thrown a bit by it's rockishness. There's that very pretty acoustic opening, and then the electric guitar blasts out, and it really discombobulates me. Still, I love it.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2008, 06:30

Quote (Sweetpea @ Oct. 09 2007, 14:50)
This is a great piece, but I'm always thrown a bit by it's rockishness. There's that very pretty acoustic opening, and then the electric guitar blasts out, and it really discombobulates me. Still, I love it.

He he - I reckon a bit of discombobulation now and again is good for the soul  :O

The track really made me laugh out loud a couple of times, I just loved the changes and the title was perfect.  What, is he out of his .....
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 03:42

I love it-it's a great track.  Another one of those MO tunes that practically screams "happy" with barely-contained elan.  It forms such a nice bookend with "Out Of Sight", and it's impossible to not nod my head and tap my foot in time with it.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 08:45

Yes Excellent - Guitars is one of my favourites - lots of screaming PRS!!

Out of mind is second only to Four Winds on the album in my view  - but I like most of the tracks alot.

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 10:24

MO loved that pretty acoustic opening so much he recycled it on "Animus".
Profile PM 
drazha Offline

Posted: July 07 2009, 05:07

I keep "Out of mind" on a loop on my player. It is such a pick up and eye opener piece of music, just gets the blood pumping.

I really really think that this should be taken by MO and developed into a full album, because I'd love to see where it would go from this piece on.

And I would definetly keep it rockish, like in the good old days of Moonlight Shadow, Crisis, Man in the rain, etc...

I just love this piece and my life's dream would come true if MO made this into a full album!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 07 2009, 08:03

Quote (Bassman @ Mar. 18 2008, 03:42)
I love it-it's a great track.  Another one of those MO tunes that practically screams "happy" with barely-contained elan.  It forms such a nice bookend with "Out Of Sight", and it's impossible to not nod my head and tap my foot in time with it.

It's a very good track to drive to, out in the country on a straight road where you can go a bit faster than usual.
Profile PM 
8 replies since Jan. 07 2006, 06:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net