[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Our Father, So emotional< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 04 2005, 15:03

Quote (Alan D @ Dec. 04 2005, 19:22)
So are we saying, then, that there's a central 'great' core In Mike's music? And it's that which is attracting us primarily?

I'm not totally sure, but I think it may actually. I was listening to Earth Moving a few days ago, and thought it wasn't half bad (where I'd never liked it much before). It may be "just pop" all you like, but it's still Mike Oldfield doing "just pop", and I think that much is true about all his work: it's how he does it, and his very own brand of musicality is present in all of it, even if it may come through more strongly in some things than in others.

As for coffee, medium strong, cream (not milk! ) and sugar. Tea - black all the way. (Yes, I know that's not what you meant! ;))
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2005, 17:11

Quote (Holger @ Dec. 04 2005, 20:03)
it's still Mike Oldfield doing "just pop", and I think that much is true about all his work: it's how he does it, and his very own brand of musicality is present in all of it

Yes - this is the core that we're talking about but were finding hard to define, and elegantly expressed by you, if I may say so.

You're right, there is an essence of him in all he does. Strip away all the labelling and the externals, and there's almost always something solid at the root.
Profile PM 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2005, 01:48

Oh, very well he said ! :)

--------------
it's never too late for me
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 05 2005, 09:44

I really like the tune. I think the synthetic vocals add an element of power to it that it wouldn't otherwise have. One of my favourite Light tracks. I, too, like the first part but when it starts repeating the same thing I start thinking that Mike could have put a little more into it, but then he could put a little more into the whole album, but still. I'm not complaining.....too much.

But that's me :).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2005, 16:12

Alan D was writing very well. Mikes music has anything glamorous, she gives the heebie-jeebies. Earth is so small and people wishing for love. She withdrafing from?

--------------
it's never too late for me
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2005, 12:43

Our Father is IMHO a very good track; certainly one of the best Mike has written since TSODE!  I just love it! Somehow similar to Let There Be Light in its mood, but still very original.

All in all, I think the entire double-CD is quite successful  indeed.
Profile PM 
25 replies since Oct. 01 2005, 16:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net