Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Orientalism< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 09 2007, 21:38

Up until around 2:45, Ommadawn has, what I consider, an Oriental* (specifically Japanese) sound. The album is often noted for its use of 'World Music', with Celtic and African styles usually cited, but I don't recall ever hearing mention of this Oriental aspect. Am I just imagining things?

(* depending on one's region, this may equate to 'Asian' or 'East Asian')

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2007, 13:59

I don't agree at all. I find the beginning of Incantations part 4 slightly oriental, but I find Ommadawn very european sounding from start to finish. But that's a very subjective thing.

Technically you might be right. The diminished second is used a lot (the note that is one semi-note above the original one), which is much more usual in oriental music (and death metal!). Ommadawn is Mike's most complex and experimental album harmonically, especially the brass arrangements towards the end of side 1.

Not counting Killing Fields then of course...

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2007, 14:51

Quote (larstangmark @ Oct. 10 2007, 13:59)
The diminished second is used a lot (the note that is one semi-note above the original one), which is much more usual in oriental music (and death metal!).

I didn't know that - how fascinating. I really don't know much about Oriental music. I thought Mike's guitar playing, during that portion, somewhat reminiscent of the koto, but perhaps I was just picking up on the "diminished second" thing?

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2007, 15:04

I can see what you mean, Not only the semitonal changes, but that tinny acoustic/harp style melody could remenis of an oreintal sound. I must say, That's not at al what I thought first when hearing it. to be honest, Mike uses diminished intervals surprisingly often, theres times I would find myself doing that on a keyboard, and throwing in a trill here and there to really get it going.

So yes, I can see how you would think that, mybe he wanted that, who knows!

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2007, 15:48

Maybe now is a good time to point you in the direction of my analysis ;)

The opening melody in Ommadawn actually borrows a lot from folk modality rather than Oriental, but he achieves that sound through the orchestration, particularly through the choice of instrumental sounds (note the counter subject theme which sounds very oriental)

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2007, 16:05

Cool stuff, Its a great album to choose for an analysis.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 17 2011, 17:23

I have been guilty for overlooking the majesty that is part two for years :/
But lately I have been listening intently and as a result went looking for a thread such as this.

Does anyone else think the electric guitar at 6:53 has a definate oriental feel amongst the mainly celtic melody.

Or is it just me.... Anyway Part 2 Just superb probably my most played piece at the moment .
Profile PM 
6 replies since Oct. 09 2007, 21:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net