Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Organs, organs and more synths< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 28 2003, 10:36

I think one of the most interesting features of the 1973 TB was the absolute lack of synths. He did a great job with the organs, IMO. Now I'm wondering, do you think MO has used synths for the re-recording, or he's using only the organs? Most importantly, do you think he *should* use the synths? I think he shouldn't. I think he should try and create the same techniques on the 1973 TB. But if he used them, it's okay. I'm not a deadly enemy of synthesizers, just wondering. :)

What do YOU think?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 28 2003, 13:40

Yup I'm with you there chap. The organs on TB are just too gorgeous sounding for words, as I said in another forum part of the genius of TB is the interaction and amazing harmony and detail of the mix of electric and acoustic guitar with those old organs, it's just so timeless. If he puts modern synth patches in the new TB he will have lost the point of how and why the original is so great. I think it's telling that parts of TB2 sound utterly dated today, it's the problem a lot synthesizer sounds face if not done well. Thats not to say some synth stuff can sound timeless too, I'm thinking the early Jarre stuff and the better dance stuff of today, but a lot of standard synth patches (which Mike has developed a habit of using) are fashion driven so what is regarded as a hip and groovey sound one year isn't so hip and groovey the next.
So I'm praying that hopefully he's stuck to his guns with regarding those organs but after hearing that bass sound I'm starting to have my doubts.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 29 2003, 10:07

Well, with the Second House performance the other performers did use Moog synthesizers and such. It would have been cool if Mike had used them for the re-recording, but I think he thought it sounded "too old".

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
2 replies since April 28 2003, 10:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net