Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Orchestral Hergest Ridge, Thoughts???< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Gambit Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 02 2011, 23:57

I managed to get a copy of this (online) and I have to say, Im a fan. The quality of it is not top of the line, but thats to be expected. It is, however, a really nice take on the album. Its a shame that OTB did not do to well because I would love to have seen this one released officially as well as an Orchestral Ommadawn (i think that would be just amazing) Oh well... I can dream
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2011, 11:27

I have a fairly good quality version of this (I think Drealm uploaded it for me), and while it's certainly not as good as the original, it's an interesting listen for sure.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2011, 19:40

I think it works better than the Orchestral TB. In the orchestral version it actually sounds like something by the early 20th century Brit composers Elgar or Holst or Vaughan Williams.
Profile PM 
Herod Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2011, 02:49

I agree... OHR sounds like a piece conceived in that way, while in OTB you can feel strongly the 'adaptation'...

--------------
The last 80 seconds of 'Amarok' are one of the reasons for being happy to live in this planet.
Profile PM 
david0ff Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2011, 16:56

THis album is allready quite orchestral (mainly guitars) I think...
I don't know any other instrument than Mike's guitar that could rise the emotions you may have listening to this album.
What other instrument do you propose in exchange?
Which changes would you make?
Any idea?

Hergest ridge extract

--------------
But as we all know, endings are just beginnings...
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2011, 08:02

Enjoyed that
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: July 11 2011, 17:38

After the success of "Music of the Spheres" I'm actually gutted that Universal didn't capitalise on the "Classic FM" market and re-release or even considered to re-record using modern classical recording techniques OTB and OHR...

gutted but not surprised at their total ineptitude and failure to grasp the commodity they have at their disposal.

Numpties the lot of them.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: July 19 2011, 00:28

I now have a copy of OHG and really like it....works much better than OTB in my opinion for what its worth
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 26 2011, 18:12

Quote (Cudsie @ July 11 2011, 22:38)
After the success of "Music of the Spheres" I'm actually gutted that Universal didn't capitalise on the "Classic FM" market and re-release or even considered to re-record using modern classical recording techniques OTB and OHR...

gutted but not surprised at their total ineptitude and failure to grasp the commodity they have at their disposal.

Numpties the lot of them.

Hiring an orchestra to record an hour an a half of quite complex music wouldn't be a cheap undertaking, and it's something that Mike seems to actively want to distance himself from (so he wouldn't willingly do promo for it).

I mean, I'd love to hear it and I'm sure lots of other fans would too, but I don't know if it would be worth the while of a record label.
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2013, 12:15

Thanks to someone called Tony Staveacre - god bless him - this is now available

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJEAHiqd1zI&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DApe90_SKTc

Utter, utter bliss.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 27 2013, 00:43

Excellent! Great to hear it without Steve Hillage wrecking it.
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2013, 06:10

Just realised, Tony Steveacre was the original director. So he deserves a double thanks!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 28 2021, 22:21

I've just listened to this again after many years. The trumpet is crappily tinny, and there seems little point in calling the piece "orchestral" if it adds non-standard orchestral instruments like guitars. BUT it has one great advantage over the other versions: on Side 2, when the robot goes amok, you can hear all the people scurrying away, panic-stricken, as they are attacked. Raspberries to the female final section, though.
Profile PM 
12 replies since Mar. 02 2011, 23:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net