Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Orchestral Bells and Exposed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sysiyo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 21 2005, 08:25

Is it just me or does the arrangement of Tubular Bells on Exposed actually bear more resemblance to The Orchestral Tubular Bells arrangement than the original TB LP? Most notably in the "finale" section of part 1, which like OTB does away with a master of ceremonies and has instruments joining in in a different (and arguably better) way, and the abundant use of horns though-out the Exposed performance(s).
Profile PM WEB 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2005, 13:02

Yes I absoloutley agree with you there.  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 28 2005, 14:59

Yes - David Bedford did arrangements for both, which explains the similarity to a great extent. The arrangement of the caveman bit is of course also very much based on the orchestral version.

I'd imagine the choice of the semi-orchestral version would have been to provide a larger sound which fitted better with Incantations.
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2006, 16:28

(oops this one is a year old, well at least not as bad as I did on the other exposed thread :D)

The part after the caveman bit, is that a completely new melody? I can't link it to any part of (O)TB, but it certainly is nice happy guitar playing!

BTW I like the caveman part in OTB and Exposed a lot, it is a VERY nice interpretation of the original.
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Posted: April 03 2006, 17:38

I always think about how nicely the Exposed caveman bit would neatly lead into the TB2003 one. I love the buildup (or, build down then build up) of the caveman theme from orchestral to guitar rock as well, that's all good.

And as for the bit at the end of Exposed's TB part 2, I assume it's a new melody. It's nice though.

--------------
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.
Profile PM WEB 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2006, 12:25

The part after the caveman bit, is that a completely new melody? I can't link it to any part of (O)TB, but it certainly is nice happy guitar playing!

Try linking it to Platinum part 2... to my ears they sound spookily similar... :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2006, 13:33

Quote (Nicolas @ Jan. 10 2006, 16:28)

I always thought it was the "Spanish Guitar" section, but speeded up a whole lot. Does anyone agree? It is even in the right place for "Spanish Guitar" too.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
stickman393 Offline

Posted: April 09 2011, 23:25

Quote (Nicolas @ Jan. 10 2006, 16:28)

Nope, it is actually exactly the same chord sequence, and some of the motifs in the guitar solo are in fact on the original album version. It's certainly a wonderful section of music, and has always been my favorite part of the Exposed LP.
Profile PM 
Herod Offline

Posted: April 10 2011, 02:22

It is "Ambient Guitars" with a rhythm... simply ;)

--------------
The last 80 seconds of 'Amarok' are one of the reasons for being happy to live in this planet.
Profile PM 
8 replies since July 21 2005, 08:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net