Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Open letter to Mike Oldfield, Thank you!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Brad O. Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 12 2008, 02:05

On June 27th at 5:23pm, my first child, Leezza, was born.  I had just acquired Music of the Spheres a week before and had been listening to it all week.  My wife called me at work while I was in the middle of listening to "On My Heart" informing me that our baby would be born that day.  What an amazing day it was!  To see our baby born was an absolutely spectacular thing, exceeding my expectations.

After the day was over, I listened to Music of the Spheres again and I realized that this music accurately represented my feelings of June 27th.  Music of the Spheres became something more to me than just another fantastic work from you, Mike.  To me, Music of the Spheres is now the theme-music for June 27th and "On My Heart" is the theme song for my daughter Leezza.  This music will always remind me of the absolute beauty and joy of the day of my daughter's birth.  

Mike, how appropriate and timely it was for you to bring me such a beautiful work of art at this time!  I see huge parallels between the beautiful music you have created and the beauty of my daughter being born.  

I feel a great deal of gratitude to you for giving me this absolutely sensational gift.  Instead of passing out meaningless cigars or other useless trinkets to friends and family, I bought 20 copies of Music of the Spheres and gave them explaining how this music is so significant to me.  

THANK YOU!

Brad O.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 12 2008, 02:46

Quote (Brad O. @ July 12 2008, 02:05)
To me, Music of the Spheres is now the theme-music for June 27th and "On My Heart" is the theme song for my daughter Leezza.  This music will always remind me of the absolute beauty and joy of the day of my daughter's birth.

How nice to associate MOTS with such a special occasion. "On My heart" seems very appropriate as a theme song. Congratulations, and welcome to Tubularboard, Brad.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: July 12 2008, 08:38

Very nice to hear - congratulations (and hi to the boards).
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: July 13 2008, 17:36

Congratulations and welcome to t.net.

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
ommadawn69 Offline

Posted: July 13 2008, 19:06

Welcome Brad. :) And congrats!!

--------------
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheAlternativeMikeOldfieldGroup/
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 13 2008, 23:28

Congratulations to all of you, Brad! What a sweet association, and a wonderful way to mark your daughter's birth through the gift of music! Welcome to the Board, and welcome, Leezza, to our world!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 07:53

Welcome to the world of parenting (and welcome to the board too)!
 What a great album to have as a soundtrack to your daughter's birth.My oldest was actually born to Ommadawn.
 As Mike apparently checks in here occasionally he'll see your letter.I'm sure as a dad of 7 he'll appreciate it.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 08:48

Quote (The Caveman @ July 14 2008, 07:53)
As Mike apparently checks in here occasionally he'll see your letter.I'm sure as a dad of 7 he'll appreciate it.

Really? I wonder if he read the thread concerning what the next album could be. If it turns out to be a devotional work like a cantata or a stabat mater a fair conclusion would be that he did!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 14 2008, 08:51

Well, if this thread should serve as any suggestion, Mike should definitely go for the album of children's songs. Backyardigans covers NOW!

Congratulations, Brad!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 08:52

Quote (The Caveman @ July 14 2008, 07:53)

Presumably he checks in incognito... Or would he have moderator powers?
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 10:00

Or The Wiggles Sir Mustapha?Why not....may be worth a listen.He did a cover of Froggy after all.

Nightspore.....i reckon Korg is really Mike incognito! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 11:08

Anything but Barney The Dinosaur or Dora The Explorer..."I`m the map,I`m the map,I`m the map,I`m the map....Holy crap,imagine having that guy in your car as your sat/nav system.

How about a series of songs based around a children`s adventure story?About a young undrecover Italian detective who goes by the name of Mike Incognito.."The name`s Cognito,..Mike In-cognito"..."I`ll have a strawberry smoothie,shaken not stirred"....I went on holiday to Incognito a few years back.Man what a trip that was.I came back a totally different person.

Brad that`s a great story about Music Of The Spheres.It`s an amazing thing I guess that you`ll forever associate Mike`s album here with the birth of your daughter.I`m sure if Mike,ever gets to hear of it one way or another he`d be delighted..."fantastic news another 20 copies sold,kerching kerching".rubbing hands with glee.. ;) Seriously though I`m sure he`d be very moved by it.I know I was and I`m not even responsible for composing the music.Although by strict definition here I am Mike incognito.Not THE Mike you understand,but a Michael by birthright none the less.Apparently when I was born though my dad gave out 20 copies of The Party`s Over by Nat King Cole.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 11:11

Dirk you crack me up :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 14 2008, 13:22

Quote (Dirk Star @ July 14 2008, 11:08)
Anything but Barney The Dinosaur or Dora The Explorer..."I`m the map,I`m the map,I`m the map,I`m the map....Holy crap,imagine having that guy in your car as your sat/nav system.

SECONDED.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Brad O. Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 19:30

Mike is a dad of 7?  I never knew that!  

Thanks for the congrats, everyone!  I never realized how awesome it was to be a parent.  I'm sure there is a negative side that I will see later.     :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 20:35

Quote (The Caveman @ July 14 2008, 10:00)
Nightspore.....i reckon Korg is really Mike incognito! :laugh:

Well, "Korg" backwards is "Grok", which, in Robert Heinlein's science fiction novel Stranger in a Strange Land, means "to understand at every level and in every particular way"....
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 15 2008, 03:56

The negative side is when they get toabout 11 and suddenly lose all power to comunicate other than "uh?Wasn'tr my fault". :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2010, 01:01

What a great thread Brad O.

just reading it was inspiring. It's so great when something like this happens. I wish you a good life with your kid.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2010, 04:59

Belated congratulations Brad and welcome. Your little vegemite would be giving you a run for your money! Crawling, then walking, then before you know it they are off! Mike's son Eugene was born in February of that year so Im pretty sure MOTS has a place in his heart too! Happy parenting, they don't stay little long, treasure each day! Deb
Profile PM 
18 replies since July 12 2008, 02:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net