Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Only Time Will Tell, Who is it :-)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
whogoesthere Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 29 2012, 21:42

Ok, quiz night question.. who is it saying "only time will tell" and what movie is it from :-)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2012, 13:56

I want to say Blade Runner, but that is just a wild guess. Actually, I know very little about movies.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2012, 17:52

Rod Serling, from The Twilight Zone. Not a movie but a TV series.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2012, 23:18

As I've said before; there are definite advantages to being someone who writes down and records facts and figures.  As one who grasps blindly at half-remembered nuggets from the ether, I thank you all.

It also might not be a bad idea to actually search for wherever the hell it was that I saw this, but in the spirit of a competitive question, I'll hold off for now and put this alternative out there.  I'm pretty sure I've seen a page with all of TSODE's samples researched and identified, and it reckoned "Only time will tell" was from the TV series, Lost In Space.  Years since I've seen it - there was a repeat run in the UK late 80's or early 90's - and I don't really remember what all the voices sounded like.  I do know it's not the diabolical, if long-suffering, Dr. Smith, but unless someone else proves myself or Ugo wrong, the answer will be left hanging, to the irritation and inconvenience of all.  Oh, the pain!  The pain! :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2012, 17:54

Yes, I do remember it was pointed out at the time that it was a voice from a TV series. I can't be sure at all about it, as I've never seen Lost in Space, but the tone and the phrasing (and the spacing as well: "Only time... will tell") sound to me very like Rod Serling - I saw a lot of TTZ episodes. Of course I may be totally wrong. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: April 07 2012, 12:39

I'm not sure how open-ended whogoesthere intended the debate to be, so I'm sorry if I'm stealing anyone's thunder.  If this isn't the page I was thinking of, it's a close relation.
http://www.amarok.ommadawn.net/mike/discog/sode.htm

From the evidence I've seen and heard (YouTube is a little bereft of decent Lost in Space clips) I believe the sample is of Dick Tufeld, who served as voice artist and narrator on the show, and sadly...
http://articles.latimes.com/2012....0120125

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 29 2012, 08:15

As far as I can remember it's from Lost in Space, but I don't think that's where Mike got it from. The sample appears on one of the Zero-G Datafile sample CDs, and Mike namechecked them in the Sound on Sound interview he did around the time of TSODE.
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: May 09 2021, 23:33

Mike Joseph self-hypnosis tape. also the countdown etc. very distinctive vocal qualities which are one of the hallmarks of MO's music - he has a phenomenal ear and ability to find distinctive voices/choruses/solos/odd instruments etc.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: May 10 2021, 18:46

Just for fun, I found a copy of that Zero G Datafile and just put the samples together that seemed to be from this track, plus some reverb and delay: (Private soundcloud link)

I actually did a quick cover of OTWT, but for the sake of this I muted everything else but the samples.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: June 30 2021, 18:52

The original ORIGINAL origin of "Only Time Will Tell" is from an episode of Lost In Space. I think it's Gary Owens but I can't be sure. It's not the hypnosis tape, though. That's the voice from Crystal Clear.

Lost in Space MP3 clip

And here's a video of the clip:
Lost in Space - Only Time Will Tell video clip

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 30 2021, 20:36

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ June 30 2021, 18:52)
The original ORIGINAL origin of "Only Time Will Tell" is from an episode of Lost In Space. I think it's Gary Owens but I can't be sure.

MP3 clip

And here's a video of the clip:
Lost in Space - Only Time Will Tell clip

I remember James Joyce used "Garry Owen" as an almost-homophone of "Geryon", the three-headed giant of Greek myth. Yikes - sounds a bit scary to me!  :laugh:  :p
Profile PM 
10 replies since Mar. 29 2012, 21:42 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net