or dobbel -> light and shade (like it is) 25  [64.10%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: One cd or two?, what should this album be?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 03 2005, 16:46

I have wondering about this, maybe "Light and Shade" is to short to be dobbel...
There are some songs that could been (deleted) or not been taking on the album. I think "Slipstream" is a song to not get used to. Some like it and some not. I never liked "mastermind" and this song remains me of it. This voice and x - files sound i cant stand, really... And like you other fans and they who likes mike seems not to like all the songs on L+S..
But this is not a negative post, i just think it should suite more 1 disk cd album that 2. There are many good songs and lovely pieces. If you only take two songs out you could without problems  have one disk album.
I have done that by my self. The one reason is because i dont have lakme and pres de toi on the orginal album, but for second reason is that there are two or three songs im not happy with.
My list on the cd is like this

Angelique (my own u-myx version)
First steps (exerpt version)
the gate
Blackbird
our father (my own u-myx version)
Resolutions
Surfing
Rocky
Tears from an angel
Ringscape
Sunset
Lakme
Quicksilver (my own u-myx version)
Nightshade

this make the album one of my favorites album! Maybe more then Tres lunas and the best since tb III.
Thank you mike, cant get enough to say that.

Tubularman  :)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 04 2005, 12:55

Not many albums fill up a whole CD though.  Lots of compilations do, but a typical artist album is 40 - 50 minutes long.  Mike's own "Incantations" is 70 mins but then it was originally a double vinyl.

I can't answer the question of "one CD or two" very easily - what if Mike had decided to do one CD, but it just happened to be Light CD from this double album?

I would have preferred to keep the double CD aspect but have both CDs in the style of Shade.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2005, 22:47

i dont really see a shade or light shade, they all gives me the same feeling. This album, i think, is more one album sort. I think this type of album is calling for big trouble beacuse of the division parts.  Theres two type of songs; shade and light..  :/  This dont make me sense at all. I dont see surfing as shade at all, not romantic either.. Why not this songs on all one! Just cut out the bad songs and make them b-sides songs type or something...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 06:34

There is a difference i feel between the feel of Light and Shade, and i also feel that it was right for Mike to make it a double album.It seems to me that Mike maybe releasing a double album to get rid of all the electronic stuff, so he can move onto something new, a new direction.Look on the bright side, he could have released it as 2 albums over 2 years, and how much moaning would that have generated!!! ;)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2005, 08:25

yes thats true.. but the thing is that i maybe miss something more on them. I feel that something is missing... maybe a complex end would be good.
Now i got Nightshade german promo version and thats much better. Why he took that away i dont know.
But gosh! this album is good  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2005, 15:39

I'm trying to think whether I ever heard a double album that wouldn't have been better as a single, and I can't. I suspect that behind every dubious double album there's a pretty good single album trying to get out.

I haven't finally settled on what my final listing will be, but at present it goes like this:

Angelique
First Steps
Sunset
Resolution
Surfing
Tears of an Angel
Ringscape

That's a bit short at around 40 minutes, but I doubt that I'll want to listen to anything else on the CDs very much. Our Father fell by the wayside because although I very much dislike the vocals, it becomes curiously dull if I remove them.

But who knows? Things may change.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 06 2005, 15:43

Now that I come to think of it, I kind of like the idea of having the two CDs as two sides of one LP. Unfortunately, to me, the almost entire Shade CD is discardable. My single Light + Shade would be kind of like this:

Angelique
Blackbird
First Steps
Closer
Rocky
Sunset
Surfing
Ringscape

Though I'm actually still wonder if Surfing is really necessary...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2005, 15:47

oh cool, if we're doing lists, my CD would have all 18 tracks except Romance, Closer, Ringscape and Rocky.

It's not that I don't like those tracks, but Romance is my least favourite. Closer is covered by Pres de Toi. Ringscape and Rocky were removed to make sure it was under 80 minutes  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2005, 15:50

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Oct. 06 2005, 20:43)
Though I'm actually still wonder if Surfing is really necessary...

I'm not sure either, but I think he was really trying for something here, and the track niggles at me in an interesting way that persuades me to stick with it. Also, I'm not sure about Resolution either, so if I'm not careful I won't end up with much!
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 09:14

May I suggest that those who would prefer it to be two CDs simply write out a second cheque and mail it to Mike? And add 10% for those extra tracks you were willing to take the album without! Sorted.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 16:57

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 06 2005, 20:39)
Angelique
First Steps
Sunset
Resolution
Surfing
Tears of an Angel
Ringscape

Thought I'd add a progress report. I've burned a CD with these tracks only, and I'm amazed at the transformation. Together they make a stunningly beautiful 40 minutes of listening, with 'Resolution' providing a bit of beef in the middle to stop the whole thing becoming too sickly-sweet.

Listening to them like this, with the dead wood and the dance stuff stripped away, produces a distinct 'Wow!' effect in me. If this were the album as released by Mike, it would be jostling for a place in my favourite 5.
Profile PM 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Oct. 31 2005, 05:10

Would it have been a better album if all the best tracks were on a single cd?
Profile PM 
Arjan Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2005, 05:19

Interesting thought but, what are the best tracks? Wouldn't that be a case of personal taste? Besides, releasing it on 2 cd's is more in line with Mike's musicalbrainwave of making an album with in general two different moods, optimistic (Light) and a more darker sound on Shade.
And if you still want all 'the best' tracks on 1 cd, you can try making your own "Best of Light + Shade" by putting these tracks on a writable CD :) (for your own use only, otherwise I would be responsible for you doing something illegal  :D )

Have fun listening the album :cool:
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 01 2005, 19:41

Quote (David Mar @ Oct. 31 2005, 04:10)
Would it have been a better album if all the best tracks were on a single cd?

Another merger--David et al., feel free to continue your discussion of that in this topic, which Tubularman started nearly a month ago and is pretty much the same one that you started yesterday.  :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2006, 11:37

i've done my one cd edition too  :) there's cook's tune and lakme and pres de toi, leaving slipstream and the gate out  :cool:  :music:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Cinos Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2006, 16:56

What I might do would be to remove The Gate and Closer. Those are the only tracks that fail to touch me.  :)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 01 2007, 14:14

I can't think of any tracks that I dislike, so I'm very happy with this being a double cd. Listening from end to end (to end to end), is a wonderful sound experience, to me. Of course, for smaller portioning, I do have a short playlist.

Angelique
Blackbird
First Steps
Rocky
Quicksilver
Surfing
Tears of an Angel
Romance
Nightshade
Lakme

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: June 01 2007, 14:39

Quote (Sweatpea @ June 01 2007, 20:14)
I can't think of any tracks that I dislike, so I'm very happy with this being a double cd. Listening from end to end (to end to end), is a wonderful sound experience, to me. Of course, for smaller portioning, I do have a short playlist.

Angelique
Blackbird
First Steps
Rocky
Quicksilver
Surfing
Tears of an Angel
Romance
Nightshade
Lakme

nice list  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 07 2007, 04:54

Thanks. I like your list, too, though I don't know what your mixes sound like.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I am soooo digging this album.  :D

I also want to mention that while I admire "Ringscape", I didn't include it on my list because I'm not a big fan of 'Blues' style music.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: June 07 2007, 06:49

This shouldn´t have been an album at all! -
any idiot (sorry) could make this trance beat and synth voices on a computer and it has nothing to do with making music at all - at most this type of noise could be used to keep birds away from fields..

This is bar far, the worst ever from MO, but I guess even a genius like MO can be allowed to make a mistake...

Mike Oldfield should go public and apologize for making light & shade   :(

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
34 replies since Oct. 03 2005, 16:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net