Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn sheet music now available to buy!!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 23 2010, 13:11

Hi all, I have just completed my transcription of parts one and two from Ommadawn and it is available to buy as a PDF download from my website below.

I am also including the analysis that is on this site as a little bonus.

I have worked very hard on this transcription and am very proud of it and I really hope others like it to.

All the best

http://www.ryanyard.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1318693

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 23 2010, 15:34

Just curious, how does that work royalty-wise? Do you pay the composer/publisher a fee per copy sold?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 23 2010, 17:24

That's a very good point, if you are selling this without permission from the publishing company that owns Ommadawn you might be in quite bad legal trouble.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 24 2010, 08:43

Having looked into things, I am going to take it down from my site and from sale.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 24 2010, 09:03

Quote (ThisName @ June 24 2010, 13:43)
Having looked into things, I am going to take it down from my site and from sale.

Oh dear :/. I was having a look around myself to see what was involved and it does look a bit complicated to say the least. How about seeing if you get an existing sheet music publisher to publish it on your behalf? They presumably are well set up to sort out copyright/ISMN numbers etc.?

Would be a real shame if your hard work ended up not being available!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: June 24 2010, 09:48

Quote (ThisName @ June 24 2010, 08:43)

Ouch. Surely there's something you can do. As Matt said, it'd be awful if all of your work went down the drain.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: June 24 2010, 11:49

Yeah it would be a shame especially as it's a very detailed transcription and I have plans for future transcriptions including Taurus II and Hergest Ridge. I will contact some publishers as I feel if it was officially published, it would be very popular.

Will keep you all posted. At the end of the day, I just want to get some of Mike's most important works into print.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 24 2010, 15:08

I would contact the MPA (here's a link) and ask them what they would suggest. They might even be able to put you in touch with whoever owns the publishing on Ommadawn. Worst case scenario is that they say no, most likely they'd want a cut of your profit and quite probably want a licensing fee as well.

It certainly would be a shame if your work couldn't be enjoyed by a larger pool of people.
Profile PM 
Mishen Offline

Posted: June 27 2010, 04:19

Well, back in 1994 I transcribed part one of Ommadawn myself, and had it performed by a group of classical music students in Auckland, which can be seen in this youtube video. I made the very rough score which I produced available on my personal website in around 1999, and it's been there ever since (although that site has long since been abandoned). I made the score as a young fan and didn't charge any money for the performance or for the score - and I called Virgin Records in Auckland at the time and they didn't seem to have any problem with it. I also sent a few pages to David Bedford who was very kind and sent me a few of his CDs - he, of course, was probably the first to transcribe Ommadawn as well as TB, HR, and Incantations - I've always hoped he'd make the scores available, and it would probably be a good idea if someone who knows him asked him to do so!!

I suppose that anyone who wants to save a copy of that scanned version of my score is as welcome to it as you have been for the last 11 years - and honestly I couldn't take that site down if I wanted to [who remembers passwords from abandoned sites put up a decade ago? :)] That being said - it's a very rough score, I think it's more or less accurate, but I didn't have any idea what I was doing really - and it's scored as a rearrangement, not an exact transcription of the original instruments. I made some additions so the performers with minor parts would have extra things to do - but I regret them now! I have actually asked in the past if anyone with good musical education would clean it up and produce a computerised version of the score - no bites yet...

I recommend, my friend, if you have proudly produced a score as a fan as I did (I'm sure you did a much better job!;), to let the copyright holders know what you did and that you did it as a tribute. I wouldn't charge for it, as it would then become a work of someone else's intellectual property that you are making a profit from. I imagine that you did it as a labour of love, and if it's possible to make it available for all fans to enjoy - and possibly even arrange new performances superior to mine - then it will really be a true celebration of this much-loved work, that should really see the light of day again - now being a good time with the 2010 rerelease!!
Profile PM WEB 
Mishen Offline

Posted: July 23 2010, 03:24

By the way - if you've made a computerised score of this album, is it possible to make a software MP3 rendering of the music? I'm sure a lot of people would be very interested to hear that. I really don't think copyright would be much of an issue as it's a fan tribute/cover - the Static 18 group released a couple of free CDs with cover versions of Mike's work without any trouble. Any chance of arranging a tribute performance?
Profile PM WEB 
9 replies since June 23 2010, 13:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net