Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn Quad mix (on Boxed), Weird panning effect...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 19 2008, 18:04

@ Admins: if you think I'm putting this in the wrong place, please move it.

What I'm about to ask was spurred by reading ekloef's topic about his cover artwork for the Quad-to-DTS mixes of TB, HR and Ommadawn. Reading about the Quad mixes reminded me of Boxed, so I dug out my 18-year-old copy of Boxed (on CD) and played Ommadawn Part 2 through my Pro Logic II decoder. I noticed a very clear separation of tracks and an odd panning effect, which I see as somewhat weird. In the tormented section  with massed guitars at the start of part 2, I can hear the main acoustic guitar coming out very clearly out of the front speakers (front-left, front-middle, front-right), while all of the buzzing background [ahem... maybe 'buzzing' is not the most appropriate adjective to describe that part, but how else do you describe 64 guitars creating a very harmonious mayhem, but still a mayhem? :D] goes round and round and round and round, constantly, in an approximately counter-clockwise direction, while simultaneously being present on all of the 4 smaller speakers (front-left, front-right, rear-left, rear-right). The track separation is a bit less pronounced when the tubular bells come in - they chime from everywhere - but the background spins around all the time, for the whole duration of that section, up to the very last bleeps of some of those 64 guitars. :) There are of course various other parts of Ommadawn which go round and round in the Quad mix, one of them being the very fast "diddlydiddlydiddly" solo in Part 1 which I discussed with Korgscrew some time ago. :D But here the effect is particularily striking, and, IMHO, particularily weird, as the section is quite long... and elaborate. ;)

So, for anyone who's familiar with the Quad mix of Ommadawn: is the start of Part 2 really supposed to be like that, or is there something wrong in my equipment?

Also, by the way: is the HDCD remaster of Exposed still encoded in Quad? As far as I remember from the last time I played it, it doesn't play as good as Boxed...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 20 2008, 10:33

I should preface this response with a couple things:

The first is that if for any reason the quad mixes aren't decoding as intended on your system, there's nothing wrong with your equipment. Pro Logic II isn't SQ - it has similarities with SQ, which is how it manages to extract something interesting from these old SQ encoded albums, but the matrix isn't identical, and the decoder's logic circuits are designed with different priorities to those of an SQ decoder. So, if it doesn't come out quite as it's meant to, that's why...and if it does, be very glad!

The second is that my reference here is a decoder that's about as old as Ommadawn, built entirely with discrete components which probably don't have quite the same values they did when it was built. Its steering logic seems to still be holding up amazingly well, and as far as I know, it's still sending everything to the right places (the last time I properly checked was a couple years ago), but there's room for doubt!

With that said...

That part of Ommadawn Part Two does swirl a lot. There are some static parts in there, then the sound of the guitars with a heavy phasing effect applied, which swirls around - it seems to me to swirl rather more randomly than going in an orderly clockwise direction; sometimes it goes from right to left, other times it goes back in the other direction. The acoustic guitar ought to be hard front centre.

The bit right after that section should be a nice test of whether things are decoding as they should be - the harp part bounces between rear left and rear right, which I think is a rather enchanting effect. I think it's a shame that these mixes still haven't been released in a more modern format so that more people can enjoy them (and indeed, so that they can be heard without them being mangled through the SQ encode-decode process, as is the case with the DTS versions that are out there).

Now somewhere around here, I have a digital transfer of a QS encoded version of the same mix. I fear it's probably currently stuck on a hard drive inside a computer which died and was combined with the bits of another to make a working one...a good excuse to get out the LP it came from, I suppose, it would be interesting to make the comparison again for the purposes of answering your question better. I don't honestly remember anything coming out very differently to the SQ version (apart from the fact that the QS decoder I have is far less sophisticated than the SQ one), but still...fiddling around with these things is one way to spend a rainy afternoon when I should be doing something more important, and from my point of view, listening to Ommadawn more than once is hardly a great hardship.

The SQ encoding is still very much intact on the remastered Exposed - it sounds superb to me! I particularly love the Incantations disc - I think the composition's grand scale fits the 4 speaker format very well. Of course, that's the format Incantations was created for...somewhere out there is a 4 channel master tape of the studio version just waiting to be released in nice shiny digital form...
I particularly like the 'Ode to Cynthia' part of the Exposed version...the way the audience's clapping and the reverb of the hall fill the sound stage just makes the whole thing sound huge and quite beautiful.
I think the Exposed mix is quite adventurous, actually, so if not much seems to happen when you play it, unfortunately it's just a case of the Pro Logic II decoder not liking the SQ encoding very much.

What actually interests me is that they decided not to release Incantations in quad because they felt it had pretty much died (in all its various incarnations) by 1978 when the album was released, yet the next year they decided to mix Exposed in quad and put it out as an SQ only release. I'm glad they did, of course, but it does seem to represent an unexpected change in thinking.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2008, 10:59

Thank you, Richard, for your very detailed [as usual! ;)] answer. I shall comment on some individual points below.

That part of Ommadawn Part Two does swirl a lot. There are some static parts in there, then the sound of the guitars with a heavy phasing effect applied, which swirls around - it seems to me to swirl rather more randomly than going in an orderly clockwise direction; sometimes it goes from right to left, other times it goes back in the other direction. The acoustic guitar ought to be hard front centre.

To be completely honest, I didn't pay attention to the direction of the 'swirling' all the way through. I listened to it very attentively for a couple of minutes (starting from the very beginning, I mean) and it sounded like it was going around in a (quite) fast counter-clockwise motion. Then I started paying more attention to where the different instruments were located, and less to how the background was rotating, so you're probably right about it. ;) Also, on second listening, I realized that the acoustic guitar does actually hard front centre... there may be some bits of it straddling over to the other front speakers, but they are at a very low volume, so I guess they don't count. :)

The bit right after that section should be a nice test of whether things are decoding as they should be - the harp part bounces between rear left and rear right, which I think is a rather enchanting effect.

It does indeed bounce... ping, ping, ping, ping... alternately from rear-left and rear-right... So I guess that my equipment works fine. :D

I think the Exposed mix is quite adventurous, actually, so if not much seems to happen when you play it, unfortunately it's just a case of the Pro Logic II decoder not liking the SQ encoding very much.

Well, I think it's nearly two years since I last played Exposed through the Pro Logic II decoder, and I seemed to remember it playing like an ordinary live concert DVD from today... i.e. all the music coming out from the front, reverb and applause (and clapping) coming from the rear. But I shall tell you more after another listen...

However, I must admit that the SQ mix of Ommadawn is something spectacular to me... I very much prefer it to the TB and HR mixes. The sound of the fast solo in Part 1 going all around my living-room suite is something you can't describe - you have to hear it!  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2008, 11:42

Adding to the above after another listen...

Whenever the bagpipe (or Northumbrian pipe, I'm not sure) on Ommadawn Part 2 plays a long note, it spins around.

The "la-la-la" [or rather "la-ah-ah" :D] vocals in the final section all come from the rear.

"On Horseback" plays as follows:

- The acoustic guitar is everywhere.
- Mike's spoken vocals are on the front (all speakers).
- Mike's sung vocals are everywhere during the first chorus; during the others, the main vocal is on the front and the harmony is on the rear.
- The electric guitars and the 'chirping birds' (slide guitar) bounce rhytmically between front and rear.
- All of the other instrumentation stays in the front.
- The children's choir is on the front. I was kind-of expecting it to be either rear-only or everywhere, but evidently my memory betrayed me. :D

"Speak" (on disc 2) plays as follows:

-The piano is on front-centre, with a heavy reverb on the other two front speakers and nothing at all in the rear.
- All through the first verse, the vocal is everywhere, although it comes out from the rear speakers in a lower volume than it does from the front speakers.
- On the second verse, all of the vocal gets pushed hard to the right side (both front and rear). The reason for this is, I guess, the main vocal getting pushed hard to the left side in the third verse, leaving the second (harmony) vocal on the right, and just the piano in the middle. I've often found this very cool, even when hearing it in ordinary stereo, and I found it even cooler on the Quad mix. :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
3 replies since Jan. 19 2008, 18:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net