Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn on SACD?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
FatBantha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 15 2004, 06:14

I've bought "Tubular Bells" in SACD version and I have to admit, I am delighted with quality of sound on it. Now, that's what I call "remastered album"...

"Ommadawn" is my favourite Mike Oldfield's composition, but I have got only shitty discy edition and I'm not satisfied with it.

Is there "Ommadawn" on SACD or are there any plans to release it in this format? I have seen it on HDCD - is it the only remastered version of "Ommadawn"?

Should I wait for "Ommadawn" SACD or buy it in HDCD version?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 15 2004, 14:06

A DSD master of the album exists - as Ommadawn was mixed in quad at around the same time as Tubular Bells for Boxed, it means a multichannel release of Ommadawn is possible. It's all down to Virgin and whether they choose to release it. I'd certainly like to see it happen, as I think SACD is a great sounding format.

Whether you choose to wait for it (I know of no current plans to release it - I just know that Simon Heyworth has done the mastering) or buy the HDCD edition (which I haven't heard, but I'm told is good, bar a small glitch in part two) depends on how much you want to replace your disky edition.
Profile PM 
FatBantha Offline

Posted: April 20 2004, 09:36

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 15 2004, 14:06)
[quote="Korgscrew"][...]depends on how much you want to replace your disky edition.[/quote]

Well, I was going to buy it on HDCD... On the other hand, I wanted to be absolutely sure, there is no SACD "Ommadawn".

Thank you for your assistaince.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 12:09

Well, there's no SACD but it could be released one or a DVD-A soon, remember that Mike said he was going to do a Dolby 5.1 mix of Ommadawn. Also you can buy Boxed and if you have an SQ decoder (very unlikely) you can heard the quad mix contained on this compilation. Let's remember that HDCD improves the sound quality but as long as I know it still is stereo  ;) Maybe the best option is to wait a little bit and to buy the HDCD if no fresh news about that 5.1 mix of Ommadawn are produced.
Profile PM 
FatBantha Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 14:22

Yes, I've heard about it... But I can't afford buying DVD-As. I prefer to get some concerts (with vision :p ) on DVD, than only music, which I can listen in good quality on CDs and I can do that almost anywhere...

That's why I love SACDs. They are universal. For audiophiles and 'men on the street'.

But on the other hand, "Ommadawn" is worth losing mobility... :cool:

Well, tomorrow I'm going to buy it on HDCD... And "disky" edition is going to stay in car... :D
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 21 2004, 17:14

I think Mike's 5.1 mix idea has been dropped for the time being - the last time he was asked, he said he had no plans to mix any of his back catalogue in 5.1.

If he were to do it, it would be released by Virgin and so would be on their choice of format, which could well be SACD.
The Boxed mix transferred to SACD could well sound better, as it's been directly transferred from analogue tape to DSD. Mike remixing it would mean first sampling it at 24bit/48kHz (unless he's upgraded recently...but he doesn't see the point of high sampling rates). It wouldn't be a huge difference necessarily, but noticeable nevertheless.

With Boxed, you can always try it through a Pro Logic II decoder, I'm told that works quite well. It's not the same as SQ, but not totally different either. I've heard it's an even closer match for QS actually, but you won't find any Mike Oldfield CDs encoded with that (I think the only album ever released with QS encoding was Ommadawn, and only on a limited number of LPs).
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: May 02 2004, 06:40

Quote (FatBantha @ April 21 2004, 14:22)
That's why I love SACDs. They are universal. For audiophiles and 'men on the street'.

Well, they're not as universal as you think but I can understand what do you mean (in fact this is also why I prefer SACD more than DVD-A). To hear the TB demos in my hi-fi I have had to rip them from the DVD  :cool:

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 21 2004, 17:14)
I think Mike's 5.1 mix idea has been dropped for the time being - the last time he was asked, he said he had no plans to mix any of his back catalogue in 5.1.

Well, better. I'm most interesting in him doing new things :) If Virgin is interesting in release an Ommadawn SACD in the future they can use the Boxed quad mix as done with TB.

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 21 2004, 17:14)
With Boxed, you can always try it through a Pro Logic II decoder, I'm told that works quite well. It's not the same as SQ, but not totally different either. I've heard it's an even closer match for QS actually, but you won't find any Mike Oldfield CDs encoded with that (I think the only album ever released with QS encoding was Ommadawn, and only on a limited number of LPs).

Here's a very interesting article about Mike's quad mixes but, it is written in spanish. If you think is worth to translate it in tubular.net and the author agrees you can contact me for any help you need while translating (except for techinical words which I'm not familiar with).

http://www.supercable.es/~alkazaba/mikequad.html
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 02 2004, 08:12

Yes, I've seen that article before...but it's ok, I have something of my own in the works (be afraid, be very afraid...) :O
Profile PM 
7 replies since April 15 2004, 06:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net