Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn on 180g Vinyl, Simplyvinyl< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ATTMO Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 30 2004, 23:04

Through a very lucky coincidence I got Ommadawn on special high-quality vinyl made by "simplyvinyl"(.com). My friend gave it to me because of my 18th. he knew i loved mike oldfields music but didnt know much about mike's music. luckily again i wanted to get both ommadawn and amarok on vinyl and i got amarok first so he didnt get me anything i already had (well i had the cd but not the vinyl)

what i find interesting is that 1. one of mikes albums is reissued on high quality vinyl and espacially that 2. only ommadawn is available. not TB or anything, just ommadawn.

this is what they say (from simplyvinly.com):

Question: How do you follow up a debut album and creative tour-de-force like “Tubular Bells”? Answer: With extreme difficulty! The 20 year Mike Oldfield must have wondered what hit him when his debut album went directly to No.1 in the UK and No.3 in the U.S. and then spent the next 5 years on the charts. The overall effect of having such a massive hit with a debut meant that each subsequent release would be somewhat overshadowed by “Tubular Bells”. However, many critics actually rate “Ommadawn” (No.1 UK, No.146 US ’75) as being a much more rounded album than “Tubular Bells”. Whilst Mike Oldfield employed the same format as his previous two releases, in the case of “Ommadawn”, he used a far wider range of styles drawing from African, Eastern European and even Irish sources (via Paddy Maloney of the Chieftains). Also, “Ommadawn” went a long way towards ridding Mike Oldfield of his ‘studio loner’ image because this album showed much more collaboration with his fellow musicians then the previous two albums. Unless we’re mistaken, it’s also the first time that “Ommadawn” has ever been available on 180 gram vinyl. In our opinion, “Ommadawn” represents a creative peak for Mike Oldfield – you just have to hear it on pure vinyl!

and well it is an awesome experience to listen to ommadawn the way it should sound  :)

(anyway i'm off to my holydays in 1 hour so see you soon!;)

--------------
"Such is life; and we are but as grass that is cut down, and put into the oven and baked" - Jerome K Jerome
Profile PM 
0 replies since July 30 2004, 23:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net