Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn Lost Version, 1975 Demo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 07 2010, 15:24

OK, I've never really connected with the album Ommadawn before for some odd reason but I've just listened to the newly released "Lost version" and I've gotta say. I'm BLOWN AWAY. My pulse raced and my heart pounded. The climax at 14:07 and then 14:38 had me breathless. All the things that I've not experienced before listening to Ommadawn.

One other thing that struck me was the bizarre use of the "joke" voiceovers near the end. I was suddenly reminded of Mike originally planning to do Ommadawn 2 and ending up with Amarok which also has a "joke" voiceover just before the climax at the end. Sorry, but for me the link is definitely there.

Now, time to listen to it again :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 07 2010, 16:11

I found the 'lost version' interesting.  The jokes ending was obviously an attempt to recapture the gaiety of Viv Stanshall on Tubular Bells, but I'm glad Mike scrapped the idea.  It palls pretty quickly and just gets in the way of the music.

The pipes are nice.  That must be Herbie!  I'm glad Mike moved this idea to part two for the released version though.  The lead guitar climax is sorely missed here.

Some of the early parts are lovely, and it's all very intriguing, but I'm so, so glad he re-recorded it.  Ommadawn would never have been the classic we know and love had Mike gone with this early version.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 16:14

By the way...why "Lost Version"?

:)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 16:48

Quote (yanouch65 @ June 07 2010, 16:14)

It was presumed lost!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 17:06

"Lost version" coz Mike had a great initial idea,padded it out ad infinitum,then hadn't the foggiest how to end it...   ;)

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 07 2010, 17:09

The "Lost" version drumming from 14.38 as mentioned above - WOW!

Although it's a great demo, that's the only bit I would have liked to have seen on the finished version.

Worth the money to but yet another version of an album I already own just for that!  :D

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 08 2010, 07:13

Quote (Matt @ June 07 2010, 15:24)
I'm BLOWN AWAY.

Beautiful!!

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: June 08 2010, 09:51

I just listened through and other than the drunk blokes passage it's actually awesome with very nice orchestral crescendo moments, I wish some of those had made it to the final recording!

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 08 2010, 12:28

One thing about the drunken jokes bit - it ties in well with the Ommadawn-meaning-idiot title.  Could be that originally the title was much more connected to the contents.....

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 08 2010, 12:49

wonderful crazy.............. im stunned...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tubak Offline

Posted: June 08 2010, 13:35

Last night while I listened to the demo Ommadawn I was thinking about that certain passages sounded to me, but I did not know why, because the demo Ommadawn is unpublished, but this afternoon I have remembered something "Reflections."

According to the tracklisting of the documentary is four Ommadawn extracts, namely:

04. Ommadawn (Outtake)
05. Ommadawn (Part 1) (Alternative Intro Version)
08. Ommadawn (Outtake)
09. Ommadawn (Part 2) (Middle Alternative Version)

Well, I've heard these issues and the demo, and it appears that only two of the four tracks belonging to the demo Ommadawn, track 4 (minute 1 and beyond), and track 9 (minute 16 and beyond). This means that these other two tracks (which also have nothing to do with the 4 and 9 but between them) do not belong to Ommadawn, as "Reflection" is a documentary from 1976, so the original copy Ommadawn was already destroyed, and therefore can not belong to that version deleted / destroyed. If you have not been included here means non-Ommadawn therefore belong to another album.

I think they are outtakes from "Incantantions", or any other album or single that did not quite done, so it would not surprise me that these extracts that recently we thought it would be Ommadawn, are in the edition of "Incantations" with so without having yet received my boxes Signed Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge, I'm drooling over that of "Incantations" ... This is a non-stop.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: June 08 2010, 14:39

Quote (yanouch65 @ June 07 2010, 21:14)

From the little booklet that comes with the deluxe edition, after describing the problems Mike had been having with the recording tapes suffering damage and having to re-record the whole of Ommadawn again using new tape:

"For many years it was thought that the early recordings made by Mike during this time had been lost forever, until research for this new edition of Ommadawn revealed the existence of a rough mix of the original multi-track tape which had been archived by Virgin records in the Spring of 1975. This mix is presented on this expanded edition for the first time."

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: June 08 2010, 14:54

I'm just glad he recorded the second version. Enough said.
Profile PM WEB 
pantalaimon Offline

Posted: June 08 2010, 15:35

What are the chances of getting a remix of this Lost version without the inane "jokes"? I mean, WTF? - how to ruin a really great version of a well-loved favourite. I'd pay good money for that to be removed (I'd pay even more for a remixed version of Amarok without Margaret Thatcher as well).

Intensely annoying voiceovers aside, I thought there was some beautiful music in here - familiar, but different enough in places to almost feel like a new MO album from the good ol' days...
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: June 08 2010, 15:59

Quote (pantalaimon @ June 08 2010, 15:35)
What are the chances of getting a remix of this Lost version without the inane "jokes"?

I would say the chances are nil. This version is from a mixed down copy of the work completed at that time before the multi-track disintegrated beyond use.

As its mixed down into 2 track stereo you can't separate the vox track.

If the multi-track of this version does exist (which I highly doubt) its believed to be full of drop out with poor frequency response.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: June 08 2010, 16:00

I know I'm going to be in a minority of one here but - I like the joke voiceover! Don't know why but it works for me. The silliness over the drums then fading away and being blasted with that magnificent climactic drumbeat just blows me away.

Better run for cover now before you all beat me with sticks ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 08 2010, 20:49

Quote (Matt @ June 07 2010, 15:24)
OK, I've never really connected with the album Ommadawn before for some odd reason but I've just listened to the newly released "Lost version" and I've gotta say. I'm BLOWN AWAY.

Really? As is pretty well known I don't connect with Ommadawn either. Maybe I'll have to give it a listen. I know Sir M doesn't like the original version (or, at least, he prefers "Music from the Balcony" to it, as do I); that would be the clincher if he likes the new version too.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 06:08

Quote (Cooper Roy @ June 07 2010, 17:06)
"Lost version" coz Mike had a great initial idea,padded it out ad infinitum,then hadn't the foggiest how to end it...   ;)

I listened to it again last night, and I couldn't help but remember this post from Roy and I think he sums it up succinctly.  It just meanders with no direction towards the end, and the jokey drunks section only makes matters worse.  Thank heavens Mike had the idea for the guitar and drums ending and turned it into a masterpiece.  Still fascinating to hear though.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 04:42

This also answers another question that has been around; the music used in the All You Need Is Love documentary is from the "lost version".
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 06:13

I quite like it..  Much more radical than just a Remix of the whole piece.. Great if you havent got time to listen to the Full Cd.. Always thought it would be good to have a Reduced Length Version..     The Joke section is just a 70s thing  Bonzo, Monty Python, period etc..   Good to know Mike has a sense of Fun and not afraid to spread a bit of it around.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
82 replies since June 07 2010, 15:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net