Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn Lost Version, 1975 Demo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 16 2010, 04:12

I listened to it yet again last night.Can't leave it alone.Not sure what it is about it but it's,in places,the most beautiful thing.I like the way the main themes keep getting repeated in  more obvious ways than the released version,especially on the acoustic guitar.And i love the sound sound of Northumbrian pipes so it was nice to hear them.There's something charmingly naive about this version.It's never going to replace the 'proper' version but as a seperate peice in it's own right it's great.It was never meant as a demo either.This was going to be the one before the technical gremlins set it with the tape.I am glad he re-jigged the fast triplet guitar passage as he over reaches himself here and starts a great ad lib solo before getting a bit lost and sort of grinds to a halt before starting again.Anyone who plays has done this.He played himself into a corner and couldn't find a way out so he stopped. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
flippyshark Offline

Posted: June 25 2010, 22:56

The "Lost Version" is the find of the decade for me. What a treat to hear 17 plus minutes of never-before released young Mike playing, experimenting and indulging in some drunken silliness. Mind you, that cross-talk act would have sunk this album if it had ever made it in, but I'm totally charmed by it, and I find the whole thing very pretty and engaging. After 35 years (egads) of listening to the original, it's amazing to hear this. I haven't been this happy in a long time. This becomes a permanent "Part 3" for my Ommadawn listenings from now on.
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 27 2010, 16:59

It is very interesting indeed. However, I think I am glad ultimately (as was he) that MO decided to start again. The later and more familiar version is far superior. I wonder if we would have loved it as much if it had come out closer to this version than the final cut? Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 05:17

Quote (Ghostmojo @ June 27 2010, 16:59)
I wonder if we would have loved it as much if it had come out closer to this version than the final cut?

No.  He'd have been dismissed as having lost the plot and being unable to match the invention of Tubular Bells.

Mike being able to have a second, and far superior, try at Ommadawn may just for me be the single most important turn of events in Oldfield's career.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 28 2010, 05:36

Quote (familyjules @ June 28 2010, 20:17)
Quote (Ghostmojo @ June 27 2010, 16:59)
I wonder if we would have loved it as much if it had come out closer to this version than the final cut?

No.  He'd have been dismissed as having lost the plot and being unable to match the invention of Tubular Bells.

Mike being able to have a second, and far superior, try at Ommadawn may just for me be the single most important turn of events in Oldfield's career.

Jules

I agree it's great as it is
Not as it was. :)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 05:58

Both versions are beautifu. Both unique.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 28 2010, 06:48

Quote (wiga @ June 28 2010, 20:58)
Both versions are beautifu. Both unique.

Agreed but like Jules i'm glad history transpired the way it did.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 08:46

Yes, the 'lost version' is like coming across video footage of your child's development -  the whole process is beautiful and necessary, and in the end you're glad they turned out pretty good. Like a chrysalis transforming into a butterfly.

--------------
Profile PM 
Jimmy Nimbus Offline

Posted: July 17 2010, 17:57

I say, I say, I say. What's got eight wheel and flies?

Two garbage trucks.

I have enjoyed the "lost" version but must echo the majority of views there that it was a fine happenstance that he got to have another go and rethink his approach. Remember that this being multitracked, it would have been recorded in a non-linear fashion. In other words there may have been more instrumental tracks added to the existing "lost" version had the tape not fallen apart.

The other thing I have thought of since my first listening is:

http://www.amarok.ommadawn.net/mike/discog/extras/raretracks.htm

Which talks of a presumably unused "Chinese Section" in what a Melody Maker journalist believed to be Hergest Ridge. BUT is it possible it's the beginning of this version of Ommadawn? The opening of that section, coupling the tune we know with an early appearance of one of the major key themes from later could be said to sound Oriental.
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: July 23 2010, 14:31

Finally!
I have the 2010 version of Ommadawn (and HR). The lost version is the thing I was most interested in...  :D

I simply think that is gorgeous. As already said by caveman, there's something (no, there's much! ) so beautifully naive about it. But it's not only for this thing that this version sounds particularly good... there are also strong musical reasons.

There are many very good moments:
- the "almost electronic" part near the beginning with this strange "arpeggiator" flying in the soundspace;
- and not too far, that KingCrimson-ish guitar paired with the organ pedal, all that gives a very misterious, almost "creepy" atmosphere to the music, that is lost in the "official" version;
- the armonic progression of the brasses and then the ones of the acoustic piano, different than the official version: so simple, so evocative, so effective;
- the acoustic guitar moments, so many, with a special mention for the sweet finale... ok, near the finale you have the sensation that Mike didn't know how to properly finish the piece (but relistening to it I think is more the fact that we are used to the percussion official version)... but this fortissimo finale that flows into this intimate acoustic relax: one of the best little moments of Mike, IMHO;
- the flute dialogues, so much more present that in the official final version, they are so emotionally played and mixed.

So... many of this moments get lost in the official version, but it's maybe for this reason that the version that finally ended on the official master is so perfect. Because it is the "same" music rerecorded without the emotional naive peaks of this "lost version", so it had the possibility to be refined, controlled,  precisely edited and rendered.
And it is the same reason why the "lost version" is so moving, because it's not refined, not controlled, not precisely edited, but maybe more linked to Mike feelings.

... with the exception of the drunk episode, so out of place (and so disturbing the music, there are good things happening behind the drunks, but they are barely heard).

Ok, I stop here
;)  :zzz:

Ps: BTW I think I don't like the 2010 mix too much, (I don't see the reason to remix a perfect mix, and there are also a pair of clear "errors"), but this is OT...  :p
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 23 2010, 17:10

Quote (knife edge @ July 23 2010, 14:31)
And it is the same reason why the "lost version" is so moving, because it's not refined, not controlled, not precisely edited, but maybe more linked to Mike feelings.

I disagree with this.  Nothing screams "Mike's feelings" more than the big guitar solo at the end of the regular version of Ommadawn pt 1.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: July 25 2010, 04:49

Quote (familyjules @ July 23 2010, 17:10)

I disagree with this.  Nothing screams "Mike's feelings" more than the big guitar solo at the end of the regular version of Ommadawn pt 1.

Jules

Not knowing what Mike really felt at the time... we can go on forever with this...  :D

Neverthless, is really good that the lost version found a way to come out, and the real Ommadawn remains one of the best music piece ever made.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 25 2010, 05:32

Without having heard the lost version of Ommadawn (still waiting for my ltd edition set), I think it's obvious that the greatness of Ommadawn comes much from the fact that Mike had to re-do (and therefore re-think) the whole piece.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 25 2010, 09:25

Quote (larstangmark @ July 25 2010, 05:32)
Without having heard the lost version of Ommadawn (still waiting for my ltd edition set)

Lars; wow, I can't believe you haven't got your Limited copy yet and heard this lost version. It seems ages ago that I heard it.

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 25 2010, 10:31

Quote (wiga @ July 25 2010, 09:25)
Quote (larstangmark @ July 25 2010, 05:32)
Without having heard the lost version of Ommadawn (still waiting for my ltd edition set)

Lars; wow, I can't believe you haven't got your Limited copy yet and heard this lost version. It seems ages ago that I heard it.

Seems ages ago that I paid for it!

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 25 2010, 11:03

Quote (larstangmark @ July 25 2010, 10:32)
Without having heard the lost version of Ommadawn (still waiting for my ltd edition set), I think it's obvious that the greatness of Ommadawn comes much from the fact that Mike had to re-do (and therefore re-think) the whole piece.

Obvious to some maybe, personally I wish his tape had never worn out and the lost version had been the final one, to me it has much more power and intensity than the usual versions of Ommadawn I've listened to, good as they are. Be interesting to see what you think yourself when you hear it. Hope your copy arrives soon!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 25 2010, 12:00

Quote (knife edge @ July 25 2010, 04:49)
Quote (familyjules @ July 23 2010, 17:10)

Jules

Not knowing what Mike really felt at the time... we can go on forever with this...  :D

We sort of know what Mike felt at the time of the guitar solo, because he's talked about it.  In fact he may have given away too much information!  He talked about that solo as being similar to a violent birth - coming out screaming from his mother's womb.  Somthing like that.  He said he was in a lot of pain at the time and that he put those feelings into the solo.  So much so that he scared himself.  Now that's what I call raw and emotional music making.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
knife edge Offline

Posted: July 25 2010, 15:52

OK OK...  :)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 25 2010, 16:01

Quote (familyjules @ July 25 2010, 12:00)
[quote=knife edge,July 25 2010, 04:49]
We sort of know what Mike felt at the time of the guitar solo, because he's talked about it.  In fact he may have given away too much information!  He talked about that solo as being similar to a violent birth - coming out screaming from his mother's womb.  Somthing like that.  He said he was in a lot of pain at the time and that he put those feelings into the solo.  So much so that he scared himself.  Now that's what I call raw and emotional music making.

Jules

Wasn't there an engineer who said Mike put nudie mags all over the mixing desk while playing that solo?

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 26 2010, 06:39

Quote (larstangmark @ July 25 2010, 16:01)
Wasn't there an engineer who said Mike put nudie mags all over the mixing desk while playing that solo?

God, really?   :O

I hope that's not true.  It kind of spoils things!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
82 replies since June 07 2010, 15:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net