Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn essay< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 17:54

Hi all, I hope to have my Ommadawn essay ready in the next 4 weeks and I would like to put it up on this site if it makes the grade!

It is a 2500 word analysis project and I am looking at the first part.

I have been listening to it a lot recently and words cannot express what I feel for the piece. I am amazed that a normal human being like you and I can create something that is so special and that has a real universal appeal as well as a lastability that will stretch hundreds of years. I am a composer myself and would have given my right arm to have written something as beautiful as that....Ok I'm rambling.

Anyways, keep your eyes peeled for my essay!

Cheers

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 18:44

If you need a previewer I'm used to reading stuff from musicians - I reviewed all my wifes essays for her music degree - with the OU.  I also really like Ommadawn.  But i'm pretty brutal with sentence formation and general flow of a document as I do alot of report revewing at work!!!!  :D

2500 words - that sounds like about 10 pages?

Ray  :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2006, 19:08

As much as I adore Ommadawn I would struggle greatly to describe it in words, let alone 10 pages worth! Can't wait to read it.

I write every day, on the net, and in my diary and letters. I write so much that I can't use conventional diaries, I have to buy hard cover ruled books and write the date in as I go along. I average about 3 pages a day, it only takes me 3 months to fill a 200 page book. But while I enjoy writing very much and have written 200 pages of my autobiography, my casual diary entries have made me a lazy writer who always wants to be witty and interesting but I don't put enough thought or effort into writing something that is intelligent and succinct. I would love to find the time to take on such a challenge and I am hoping I will get the inspiration after reading your project. Really looking forward to it.

So is this essay a university project that will be marked? Good Luck!

Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2006, 08:08

Yes, this essay makes up a small module for my composition degree. It hasbeen soewhat controvesial because we usually analyse modern music such as Ligeti, Boulez etc but I wanted to take a different path and I feel that Ommadawn is a defining work not only in popular music but in contemporary music.

My analysis will not be too complex i suspect, although I have worked out the groundplan and thematic references. I think my analysis will be less note for note and more aesthetic in its approach. I think it will be worth reading and I hope people enjoy what I have found in the piece.

I intend to do this for other works of his but it does take a lot of time.

Thanks for all the interest though!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2006, 11:01

Really nice idea
I look forward to reading it :)
I heard it in the car again yesterday, and it's amazing...
especially those background voices that just go on and on!!!
Hopefully it's in your essay how they did that, because I don't know  :D
Good luck

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2006, 19:43

i'm also very interested in reading your essay on ommadawn. i've written a lot listening to mike's music, especially ommadawn, crises, tsode or amarok, but whenever i feel the need to do that, it's mainly to try to describe the images i see in the music and the feelings they produce.

u are brave to take a different path to what is stablished in the place where u are studying. good luck!!

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 12 2014, 05:35

Just read your essay Ryan, I just wanted to say what a great job you did, will you do the same thing for anymore of Mike's albums?
Profile PM 
6 replies since Mar. 22 2006, 17:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net