[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn 30th Anniversary< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 05:52

Quote (Inkanta @ Oct. 23 2005, 03:31)
I had also mentioned this on the AML....for those of us who cannot physically reach the Ridge next weekend, what if we did a rolling time zone playing of Ommadawn??? I dunno.... Saturday at 8 pm one's local time?? Is there a better time (hmm...when Rob et al return??) ?  Maybe play it twice? That way, Ommadawn would thread through the airwaves over the course of 24 hours all over the planet. Hmm....wonder if we have members in all 24 time zones??  Seems like we would in most of them. :)  

We could use that time to simply enjoy a beautiful work of art that is Ommadawn, or reflect on what the music (Mike's music in general) has meant to us over the years, send healing thoughts to people who need it, think of ways to promote peace, share with friends, I dunno. whatever.... :)  

Anyone?

I would love to be able to go to Kington next weekend, unfortunately I'm in the process of moving house, also seeking work. I have an interview Wednesday morning.  

It's weird this is perhaps my first free weekend for a long time, Kington isn't too difficult for me to get to 150 mile drive.(I've spent eight years looking after a disabled husband), yet I don't think I'll be able to go to Kington.  Had to buy new clothes for this job interview, has left me a little short in the cash department, hopefully I'll find work soon ;).

Inkanta, what a great idea  :) ,count me in I  can play Ommadawn at a given time.

I'm hoping that I can return to Kington in the not too distant future,  perhaps it could be possible for some of us to meet up there.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 17:59

My local BBC radio station, began doing a programme "The 70's A|lbum Show", it began as an occasional programme, broadcast usually around Yule/Christmas and other bank holidays.  Due to popular demand the programme now has a regular slot at 3pm on Sundays.

Seing as two of the greatest albums of all time IMHO, Queen's A Night At The Opera and Ommadawn are celebrating their 30th Anniversary this year, I e-mailed a request to the presenter to play a track from NATO, plus also an excerpt from Ommadawn, (the whole of the album would be nice, but at 36 mins, I'll have to settle for an excerpt).  Have been promised some Queen and Mike for next Sunday
  :)  :D . A case of putting Ommadawn on the musical map as so to speak, well great stuff, especially if it introduces Mike's music to a new group of fans.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 20:05

Great! As long as they announce them carefully so there is no confusion between NATO and Ommadawn.

You don't want this new generation to think that the Ommadawn chant consists of "Scaramouche, Scaramouche, can you do the fandago?", or that  "Bohemian Rhapsody" starts with "Is this real life, or is this just Ommadawn? It's not just 3 minutes: hear the music go on and on..."

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 06:01

It's strange, but I find that 'A night at the Opera' sounds incredibly dated, but 'Ommadawn' doesn't.
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 09:01

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 23 2005, 10:24)
On Hergest Ridge, you can almost believe that Mike did what Elgar once described: not so much composing music, as catching it from the air.

Here's wishing you solid, ancient ground beneath your feet; a gentle wind through the grass; and clear light in your eyes.

:)
Didn't Elgar hail from that neck of the woods, or quite close to there anyway? And what a wonderful thought to imagine someone capturing music from the air... I just love that.

Alan, I also thought your wishes for Rob were so very fitting to some one about to visit that magical place. Lovely words.

Beautiful, beautiful Ommadawn. It is so special to me, and is my favourite album of Mike's and of all time. I shall be playing it at home, maybe by candle light with a large glass of  something to hand! Unfortunately I am working that weekend, or I would have tried to come over, I could do with another visit! Maybe next spring...

bee

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 11:24

I wanted to do homework this afternoon and put up the Ommadawn LP as background music... but after the record was finished I saw I only wrote down two sentences... :/

I'm going to blame Mike if I fail the test next week ;)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 18:27

Quote (bee @ Oct. 24 2005, 14:01)
Didn't Elgar hail from that neck of the woods, or quite close to there anyway? And what a wonderful thought to imagine someone capturing music from the air... I just love that.

Alan, I also thought your wishes for Rob were so very fitting to some one about to visit that magical place. Lovely words.

Beautiful, beautiful Ommadawn. It is so special to me, and is my favourite album of Mike's and of all time. I shall be playing it at home, maybe by candle light with a large glass of  something to hand! Unfortunately I am working that weekend, or I would have tried to come over, I could do with another visit! Maybe next spring...

bee

Hi Bee,

Elgar was born in Upper Broadheath on the Worcestershire/Herefordshire border.  A very beautiful part of England.  

Hergest Ridge really is a special place to me, so magical,  I can hear The Ridge calling me   :) ,  I MUST return there a.s.a.p.       Pity there's so many things happening this weekend which make it difficult. well virtually impossible for me to make it to Kington                           :( .  As I'm moving to a new flat, the weekend is the only chance I'll get to have help with moving heavy/bulky furniture, plus for a job interview on this Wednesday I bought some new clothes, as what I had I felt wasn't quite smart enough, so that I make the best impression I can.  This has left me a little short in the cash department.

Hopefully if I get on with my decorating this week, I'll at least make my flat look more like a home, and be able to play Ommadawn without interruptions :).  Ommadawn is definitely my most favourite album of all time :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2005, 17:23

Quote (TanGram @ Oct. 24 2005, 11:01)
It's strange, but I find that 'A night at the Opera' sounds incredibly dated, but 'Ommadawn' doesn't.

I would say perhaps "Sweet Lady" and "I'm In Love With My Car" do sound dated, but overall the album retains a good mix of styles from Vaudeville "Seaside Rendevous" "Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon" "Good Company" to the  folk of" '39"  to ballads"Love Of My Life" to the amazingly brilliant Bohemian Rhapsody" Overblown, grandiose YES, but fantastic with it.

Ommadawn was  years ahead of its time. I don't think it could ever sound dated    :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2005, 16:26

Three candles lit
One for each of my boys
One for each decade of Ommadawn

Unable to go to Hergest Ridge, feeling quite strongly that this weekend I had honour thirty years of Ommadawn, I planned to listen by candlelight to my vinyl copy. Glass of wine...family away...on my own...uninterrupted....an ideal opportunity I thought.

The reality was, ofcourse, somewhat different : finding intricate Lego space ship models placed on the wooden chest where I keep my LPs (I  daren't move the models) an ironing board + mountain of clothes infront of the turntable, and no wine, only Guinness ( every cloud has a silver lining ).

I opted for the CD player and decided not to be too serious!! Just let Ommadawn's power seep in, marvelous! It was really beautiful. But I do hate the way the drums at the end of side one cease suddenly on the CD rather than fading out as they do on my Boxed vinyl copy.

And then I thought I hope I'm around in another 30 years to celebrate it's 60th anniversary ~ by which time Light and Shade will be 30 years old. Will we all feel the same about that album - I hope so.

And Moonchildhippy, really hope your move went well, that you soon settle and are happy. Good luck with the job etc, a great time of change, thinking of you!

bee  :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 29 2005, 23:37

mike and his ommadawn instrument

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
David Mar Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 05:55

Mike used a faulty tape and had to re-record it all over again! Some outtakes were heard in 'All You Need Is Love' documentary!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 19:22

Quote (bee @ Oct. 29 2005, 21:26)
Three candles lit
One for each of my boys
One for each decade of Ommadawn

Unable to go to Hergest Ridge, feeling quite strongly that this weekend I had honour thirty years of Ommadawn, I planned to listen by candlelight to my vinyl copy. Glass of wine...family away...on my own...uninterrupted....an ideal opportunity I thought.

The reality was, ofcourse, somewhat different : finding intricate Lego space ship models placed on the wooden chest where I keep my LPs (I  daren't move the models) an ironing board + mountain of clothes infront of the turntable, and no wine, only Guinness ( every cloud has a silver lining ).

I opted for the CD player and decided not to be too serious!! Just let Ommadawn's power seep in, marvelous! It was really beautiful. But I do hate the way the drums at the end of side one cease suddenly on the CD rather than fading out as they do on my Boxed vinyl copy.

And then I thought I hope I'm around in another 30 years to celebrate it's 60th anniversary ~ by which time Light and Shade will be 30 years old. Will we all feel the same about that album - I hope so.

And Moonchildhippy, really hope your move went well, that you soon settle and are happy. Good luck with the job etc, a great time of change, thinking of you!

bee  :)

Hi Bee ,

Only really noticed your post today, I guess that's what can happen, as I've not had regular access to a computer until last Friday.  

I don't think my 30th Anniversary listening of Ommadawn quite went to plan.   I had just moved into my new flat, didn't have hi-fi set up at the time( still need a record deck to play LPs I have on no other format), so I ended up listening to Ommadawn on a £15 portable stereo radio CD player, I usually take this on holiday due to it's portability, living without music would drive me nuts.

The  move went well thanks Bee. Been busy painting. Earlier on I had to stop myself otherwise I would've become too engrossed in TubularBoard, when I needed to be jobhunting. I'm busy filling out application forms.

David Mar   Posted on Nov. 14 2005, 10:55Mike used a faulty tape and had to re-record it all over again! Some outtakes were heard in 'All You Need Is Love' documentary!

Hi David,   BTW Please excuse my ignorance, what is "All You Need Is Love"  sounds like a Beatles documentary. Is it availabe anywhere please? :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 19:34

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Nov. 14 2005, 19:22)
Hi David,   BTW Please excuse my ignorance, what is "All You Need Is Love"  sounds like a Beatles documentary. Is it availabe anywhere please? :)

I know "All you Need is Love" as a book on the history of popular music. The book ended with quite a bit on Mike Oldfield, and basically said that he was the future of popular music. It might have been tied into a television documentary.

This is where I read that Delius' piece "Brigg Fair" was the inspiration for "Tubular Bells"

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 20:34

Thanks Hiawatha, I'll have to try and look out for the book, sounds interesting :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2005, 22:14

I did not find it at eBay (including eBay.uk) or at Amazon. but I did find it at Alibris.com, starting very cheap:

http://www.alibris.com/search....g*title

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 15 2005, 21:28

Don't forget your local library. When I quickly checked OCLC WorldCat, there were hundreds of US & UK libraries listed as owning (several in Canada and elsewhere, too). There were both US and UK editions, including:

Palmer, Tony, 1941-
All you need is love : the story of popular music  

New York : Grossman Publishers, 1976 (most US holdings);

London : Weidenfeld & Nicolson and Chappell 1976 (most UK).

If your local library does not have (and chances are they won't, even if there are hundreds of locations), they can borrow it for you through interlibrary lending. It is over at the university where I used to work--guess I'll be popping in when I have a chance. Sounds like an interesting read!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2005, 19:38

Thanks Inkanta,

I've requested the book through my local library
:)  . If I like it then I'll be tempted to try and buy it.  I'm wondering does anyone have a copy of the TV documentary for "All You Need Is Love", at all please. I'm happy to pay for any expenses  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
36 replies since Sep. 13 2005, 06:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net