Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn 30th Anniversary< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 06:39

Whilst looking music stores on the web to order a copy of Light and Shade, I noticed that the surviving members of Queen are releasing a 30th Anniversary edition of A Night At The Opera, CD and DVD in  October   :cool:.

As 2005 is also the 30th Anniversary of Ommadawn, I'd love to see a release commemorating this, with additional sleevenotes, studio outtakes, and video footage (if any).  Both albums IMHO are iconic , and are in my top five greatest albums of all time.

Ommadawn is the first album to really combine world music,  many years before it became fashionable to do so, more so than The Beatles use of sitar on album tracks, or The Rolling Stones on Paint It Black.

I know it's short notice to issue a 30th Anniversary edition of Ommadawn, but I  thought  the idea would be great even if only in principle, especially given the popularity of  Ommadawn amongst Mike's fans  :)  :D.

Over to you.....

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 07:13

Considering it would be Virgin making this reissue, and the piss-poor job the company has been making with 30th Anniversary reissues of David Bowie's albums, the result would probably be extremely disappointing...
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 08:28

Quote (Sysiyo @ Sep. 13 2005, 07:13)
Considering it would be Virgin making this reissue, and the piss-poor job the company has been making with 30th Anniversary reissues of David Bowie's albums, the result would probably be extremely disappointing...

Won't Mercury have the rights some time soon?

I can't see it happening.  If any MO album's going to get the 2 CD deluxe repackaging treatment then it's going to be, yes, Tubular Bells.  (Nice excuse for those original demos to get an audio-only release though.)

MO fans love Ommadawn, but nobody else seems to know it exists.  Not even Mike seems to reliase that it could well be his masterpiece....

In other words - don't hold your breath!

:/

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2005, 16:28

Quote (familyjules @ Sep. 13 2005, 15:28)
Quote (Sysiyo @ Sep. 13 2005, 07:13)

Won't Mercury have the rights some time soon?

2008 if I have understood correctly. Just in time to release Tubular Bells 35th Anniversary Edition.
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2005, 12:04

Quote (familyjules @ Sep. 13 2005, 13:28)
don't hold your breath!

If they didn't do it for Hergest ridge then it definately wouldn't happen for Ommadawn.

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2005, 05:35

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Sep. 14 2005, 12:04)
Quote (familyjules @ Sep. 13 2005, 13:28)
don't hold your breath!

If they didn't do it for Hergest ridge then it definately wouldn't happen for Ommadawn.

Well to be fair, Ommadawn is held in higher esteem than Hergest Ridge, but neither has the popular appeal of Tubular Bells.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 20:01

Happy 30th Birthday Ommadawn :)  :D .  Yes I know Ommadawn never had an official release date, apart from the last two weeks of October 1975.  I love Ommadawn soooo much, it's possibly the finest music I've heard.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 19 2005, 21:15

Quote (familyjules @ Sep. 13 2005, 08:28)
Not even Mike seems to reliase that it could well be his masterpiece....

hmmm.. well mike said ones that ommadawn was one of the albums he was most satisfied with. He done with it like he wanted to,so lets hope he still think about that..  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 07:41

A 30th anniversary SACD would be nice. It doesn't look like it's going to happen, though...

We shouldn't let Virgin be put off by having missed the 30th anniversary though - I'd be happy with a 30.5th anniverary SACD. Any excuse to get that quad mix onto a modern discrete format, really. It would be nice if it had a decent booklet too, though that's a little less likely. The notes in the Tubular Bells SACD are quite interesting though - just it would be even better if it had something like the booklet in the reissue of Deep Purple's Machinehead album, which is absolutely packed with pictures and information. Jules is right though, it's likely to be Tubular Bells which gets that treatment, and as the Tubular Bells SACD has already been released, and doesn't have a fat booklet like that, I think the chances of Ommadawn getting one are fairly slim.
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 09:57

Well I've heard that Ommadawn has been re-released though, but only on vinyl... (which is my favourite way of hearing music btw!;)...

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 21:31

A great way to mark the 30th anniversary of Ommadawn would be for Mike to record a short 3-4 minute piano version of the rapid guitar solo towards the end of side one. That would blow people away. Not sure he can play it though!!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 20 2005, 22:06

my wish is if he do the same like he did with tb 2003. But thats only a wish... And it would not be the same either.. Hes not like he was before (in bad mood, depressed, and shy ect..)
So the sprit from orginal ommadawn would not be the same...
But i wish  :zzz:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Rob Miles Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2005, 12:38

Hello everyone

First of all, a big apology. I should have got this going a long time ago. I have aged considerably over the past 5 years, grown even fatter (so fat that soon the Ridge will be able to climb over me) and, more to the point, got so much more busy at work with increasing responsibilities that time and energy are rare and precious commodities.

Anyway- Ommadawn.

Anyone can love Part One with its series of growing themes interplaying with each other to bring us childish contentment, sinister menace, grandiose statements and explosive orgasms. Personal empathy with this piece can operate on the level of simply enjoying the tunes, or it can work with the insidious mastery of song to betray you back to some dark, angry or passionate past. To swing on its highs and lows, its complexity and its delicacy, is to swing on the sinews of life. And, of course, it screams out at the end. Anyone can love Part One. Even Rume doesn't actually mind it!

Part Two is, perhaps, where the boundary between music and soul-reaching brotherhood is crossed. The anguish of the guitars in the first few minutes drives that intellectual and articulate wedge between art and beauty. Artfully, the soul is carried through Hell, until it emerges, blinking in the sunlight, with tears where the eyes once were, into a calm and pastoral place of... not contentment, but respite... where the view is amazing and there is friendly smoke curling from the pub at the foot of the hill.

That hill, my friends, is Hergest Ridge.

Ommadawn is 30 this week. Some would say it was today, but those who recall the time would not put so precise a date on it.

Now, my question to you all- especially those who are so erudite and expressive on this list upon all manner of subjects musical- is: what are you doing next Saturday?

What I shall be attempting to do- and probably for the last time given my health- is to walk from the Burton Hotel to the pub at Gladestry, following the path that Mike has walked, ridden and driven so many times as he worked on this album. And back. Alas, The Beacon, the birthplace of Ommadawn, has closed for the winter. Bugger!

I can promise nothing by wind, rain, mud and, probably, large flaming meteors, given that this is an Oldfield-based outdoor experience. Well, OK, so I can also promise anecdotes, shared experiences, hot fires, a choice of excellent local ciders and absolutely no contentious issues whatsoever.

So, anyone up for it? My booking is made and I shall be there anyway- arriving on the evening of Friday 28th and departing Sunday 30th.

Rob

:-)?
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2005, 19:26

Quote (Rob Miles @ Oct. 21 2005, 17:38)

Ommadawn is 30 this week.
What I shall be attempting to do- and probably for the last time given my health- is to walk from the Burton Hotel to the pub at Gladestry, following the path that Mike has walked, ridden and driven so many times as he worked on this album. And back. .
I can promise nothing by wind, rain, mud and, probably, large flaming meteors, given that this is an Oldfield-based outdoor experience. Well, OK, so I can also promise anecdotes, shared experiences, hot fires, a choice of excellent local ciders and absolutely no contentious issues whatsoever.

Hi Rob,

I must admit your post did bring tears to my eyes, to think that this may be the last time, that you walk from Kington over Hergest Ridge to Gladestry, and back.  I went on holiday with my friend Di to Kington in July,stayed three nights at The Beacon,  (then ended up moving to The Swan Hotel as The Beacon had other bookings). We'd changed our mind about going elsewhere, as we didn't want to leave Kington, until we really had to.  Since returning from Kington I've vowed that I MUST return there, I DO intend to do this in the not to distant future.  

I don't think I've seen a sight as beautiful as seeing the sun setting over The Ridge, or sitting onthe sofa on the balcony of the Beacon watching the moonrise, could and did sit there for hours ( I'm sure Mike has too!!!;), until I fell asleep on the sofa, and awake at 2 or 3am, having crashed out :zzz:, after walking up Hergest Ridge or Bradnor Hill.  Yes I can see why Mike was inspired by The Ridge.

After spending eight years of my life looking after a disabled husband,(he's having professional carers in shortly)  and having had my first holiday in five years to me Kington and Hergest Ridge meant total FREEDOM, YIPPEEE!!!!!   I had an American friend e-mail me pictures of Hergest Ridge and it looked fantastic, I just HAD to go and see Hergest Ridge for myself.. The Ridge needs to be seen "in the earth" to really capture its beauty, photos don't really show the true beauty of  The Ridge.

Sounds like great fun :) ,  I'm thinking back to when I danced around on top of Hergest Ridge,  to the "Thunderstorm"/Martian Section, so what if I did make a complete spectacle of myself.
I wish I had the opportunity/money to drop everything and join in the festivities.

Rob I wish you well in your Quest.

Galadriel/moonchildhippy

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2005, 07:45

I don't know what you guys think of Jamie Cullum, but there is no doubt that he's got some oomph in his fingers. I have suggested to his management that he should listen to Ommadawn side one and consider covering a short extract (perhaps the guitar solo at 9-12mins) on piano.  His management have very kindly replied that they have bought the piece from itunes and have forwarded it to Jamie. Let's hope he likes it even if nothing else comes from it. But out on a wing and a prayer, if he were to cover it, not only could he do a terrific job given his technique, but if it got picked up and noticed, it could lead to a huge public re-awakening to one of Mike's greatest works. Dream on.....
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2005, 09:41

Gosh you're brave, Marky.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2005, 10:43

Quote (arron11196 @ Oct. 22 2005, 14:41)
Gosh you're brave, Marky.

It's called the triumph of hope over expectation!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 22 2005, 22:31

Quote (Rob Miles @ Oct. 21 2005, 11:38)
Hello everyone

First of all, a big apology. I should have got this going a long time ago. I have aged considerably over the past 5 years, grown even fatter (so fat that soon the Ridge will be able to climb over me) and, more to the point, got so much more busy at work with increasing responsibilities that time and energy are rare and precious commodities.
:-)?

If I were anyplace in the UK, I'd join you. Maybe even if I still had my unused airline ticket and the weekend weren't leading up to Samhain. /-:

I had also mentioned this on the AML....for those of us who cannot physically reach the Ridge next weekend, what if we did a rolling time zone playing of Ommadawn??? I dunno.... Saturday at 8 pm one's local time?? Is there a better time (hmm...when Rob et al return??) ?  Maybe play it twice? That way, Ommadawn would thread through the airwaves over the course of 24 hours all over the planet. Hmm....wonder if we have members in all 24 time zones??  Seems like we would in most of them. :)  

We could use that time to simply enjoy a beautiful work of art that is Ommadawn, or reflect on what the music (Mike's music in general) has meant to us over the years, send healing thoughts to people who need it, think of ways to promote peace, share with friends, I dunno. whatever.... :)  

Anyone?

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 05:04

Rob Miles - If it were at all possible for me to appear in Herefordshire next weekend then,I would have gladly accompanied you on your way.But family commitements keep me at home base.

I truly hope that there will be others who are able to attend what sounds like it's going to be a great experience though :)
Next spring/summer I'll go to H.R whatever it takes (my eldest son had planned on driving me there this summer,but plans often do/did go wrong)! - you will go with us then won't you? :D Can't just only go there once & not return.

@Inkanta- that's a great idea,I will have ommadawn ready to play at given time :)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2005, 05:24

Rob, I'd love to have joined you, but this coming weekend isn't possible for me. I wish you a wonderful walk. I've tramped the Ridge several times myself in various weathers, and always found it an uplifting experience. On Hergest Ridge, you can almost believe that Mike did what Elgar once described: not so much composing music, as catching it from the air.

Here's wishing you solid, ancient ground beneath your feet; a gentle wind through the grass; and clear light in your eyes.
Profile PM 
36 replies since Sep. 13 2005, 06:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net