Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Ommadawn, Mike's sleeve notes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
CJJC Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 21 2012, 07:06

Ommadawn was really me putting my musical creativity on record and seeing what happened. I worked on lots of ideas, so much so that the original master tapes finally fell to pieces and I had to start work all over again. I just seemed to switch to efficiency mode and I recorded the entire album in in two months. When it was finished I was very happy with it. By that time I had my own studio with a Neve mixing desk and life was quite nice.

I had a number of friends in the Kington area, who as Leslie Penning who was a crazy medieval musician, and a friends at a local restaurant, Penrhos Court, called Martin Griffiths. An ex-parachute instructor, he introduced me to flying. We used to call him Le Patron. I would go to the restaurant and have a drink and a conversation at the bar with him and I could relax. The old drummer from Kevin Ayers' band, William Murray, came to live in a wing of the house and acted as a sort of personal assistant. I also started to learn to fly  with Martin and enjoyed that. I think all of this contributed to the creative process of making Ommadawn. I also began to have some power at Virgin Records and could ask for anything I wanted to make a record. I remember wanting some African drums on Ommadawn and so I called up Simon Draper at Virgin who sorted this for me. He also arranged for Paddy Moloney of The Chieftains to play uillean* pipes on the sessions.

*this is the spelling used in the booklet.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
0 replies since Aug. 21 2012, 07:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net