Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Old Down Country Park open for visitors< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 29 2009, 04:36

The grounds of Mike's former South Gloucestershire home near Bristol are now open to the public aimed at being "a great day out for all the family". The grounds were used as the setting for many of the publicity photos for Music of the Spheres. The house itself is not open to visitors. Details are available at http://www.olddownpark.co.uk/.

Thanks to Kelvin Davies for the information

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 29 2009, 22:50

That's interesting to see it open to the public once again,since in the past,a long time before Mike bought it,it was a tourist attraction like it's now.

It can be used as a venue for weddings and parties,maybe in the future,there's a chance to organize a huge MO fan meeting there(and maybe the house can be opened).

Sounds great!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 30 2009, 08:48

I've seen pictutes of it from articles on Mike but never seen a picture of the whole house.It's bloody huge!Once again why sell somewherte like this?Same as Througham Slad.He's a restless soul but i'd love to live somewhere like this!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
akd Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2009, 15:57

I have visited this estate a few times, both before Mike bought the property and after it has re-opened to the public in 2009. It is a truly stupendous location, perched high on an escarpment overlooking the Severn Estuary, the Forest of Dean and the Welsh Hills. It has these excellent views and beautiful grounds ..... but, it is a huge estate with lots of outbuildings in various states of upkeep. If I wanted to relax, I'd certainly want to be somewhere smaller that required less maintenance.

It would be excellent to interest the current owners in a MO themed event. There was an open air cinema event in the grounds last summer, so they are certainly open to ideas like this. Any takers for 2010?
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 16 2009, 04:01

Quote (akd @ Oct. 15 2009, 20:57)
If I wanted to relax, I'd certainly want to be somewhere smaller that required less maintenance.

It would be excellent to interest the current owners in a MO themed event. There was an open air cinema event in the grounds last summer, so they are certainly open to ideas like this. Any takers for 2010?

Apart from the smoking ban and that health and safety thing that Mike complained a lot when he moved from there to Spain,he said that the house needed so much maintenance to keep the way he wanted.

It seems a great location for a MO themed event during the summer,let's organize ourselves and send an email to them with something planned,what do you all think,it would be nice to see it happening,a huge MO fanmeeting!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2009, 07:11

Sounds like a fantastic idea Tati!I'd be up for it.Bristol's easy to get to from where i live.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2009, 10:34

I'm in...

:D

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: June 17 2010, 07:50

Better be quick if you want to visit, according to this newspaper article the council are giving the owners problems relating to planning permission...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 

Posted: June 17 2010, 09:31

Quote (Matt @ June 17 2010, 12:50)
Better be quick if you want to visit, according to this newspaper article the council are giving the owners problems relating to planning permission...

I'll be visiting it not this weekend,but on the other one - I'm going to be in the area - hope that it'll be open until then.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 

Posted: June 27 2010, 18:33

Went today there...the house is currently under major refurbishment works to re-open for parties and weddings later this year.

Lovely views of the Severn Bridge...had a great time there and I even saw Mike's famous telephone booth - it is still there !!!!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2010, 10:11

Planners/Council have relented and allowed it to stay open as a visitor attraction. Article here :)

--------------
Profile PM 
10 replies since July 29 2009, 04:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net