Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Old Alan Parsons CD - "AP Live", Is this a boot?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 10:36

I've got a fairly old (1994) CD by Alan Parsons [not by the Alan Parsons Project!! Woolfson does not play in it... :)], called "Alan Parsons Live". IMHO it's a great CD, featuring APP's best songs beautifully rendered live, from a series of concerts in Germany (I think). The funny thing about it is that this CD seems not to officially exist. :) The Parsons official website does not list it in the discography and I wasn't able to find it at Amazon or in other online shops. Additionally, its label (OffWorld Records, which looks like an Italian label) is suspiciously called the same as the label which, at the beginning of the 90s, put together the famous Blade Runner 'original soundtrack' bootleg, collecting all of the Vangelis tracks not released in his own Blade Runner disc, and some other material. So, I'd like to ask to anyone who likes AP and the APP [Hiawatha, maybe? ;)]: is this a bootleg? And if it is, how the heck did the bootleggers manage to hire no-one-else-than Storm Thogerson (formerly from Hipgnosis - the creators of one of the most famous LP covers ever, the one of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side") to do the cover of this, which IMHO looks much more like a PF cover than an AP one? [I also think that there's always been a huge musical cross-up between the APP and PF, but that's completely another matter. :)]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 11:06

It is an official release. There are 2 versions, the USA and european version as you can see on The Avenue (the official fan site, something such as Darkstar :)): http://www.theavenueonline.info/site3/discog-1.htm. the album it's not easy to find, maybe it sold little. When it was released was easy to hear the single on the radio, that was Luciferama (a medley containing Lucifer and mammagamma). If you check the discography on the CD ROM included on the On Air album you will find AP Live listed on it. I haven't check the official site but maybe they have only included the albums with new songs and not the live and compilation ones. Maybe it is out of print (this would also explain why is difficult to find).

Storm Thogerson designed some of the Alan Parsons solo albums at that time such as Try Anything Once and On Air.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 13:00

Yes, "The Avenue" is the best place for Alan Parsons info, even though they have admitted that getting complete lyrics is not a priority.
<P>
Here's a small picture of the album cover:
http://211.233.45.45/uploadF....ive.jpg

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 14:52

I've got the spanish edition of thus CD... it is fine, a nice collection,... but am I a cloth-eared man, or the singers are out of tune most of the time...????????

Sadly enough, I had an exam and been unable to attend last year's APP concert near here....  :(
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 16:08

If you want to hear great vocals on an APP-related album, listen to "Parca Guell" on the second Gaudi CD. The cover of this CD is my avatar for now, and has been for a few days.

(If you are reading this at a later time and the avatar has been changed and does not make sense, the avatar I am referring to has the "gaudi" letters in it. If you do not see this, I have changed the avatar.)

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 17:27

Quote (hiawatha @ Jan. 19 2005, 22:08)
If you want to hear great vocals on an APP-related album, listen to "Parca Guell" on the second Gaudi CD.

Unfortunately I ain't got it. :( All the Gaudi I got is the eponymous album by APP. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 18:38

It makes the first one seem like a rough draft. It is actually music from a Woolfson musical.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
skibbylabab skibbylabab Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 20:19

HEY! TALKING ABOUT ALAN PARSONS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION??? :laugh:

Quote (Nacho @ Jan. 19 2005, 20:52)
Sadly enough, I had an exam and been unable to attend last year's APP concert near here....  :(

Hola, Nacho. I remember I read an article in El Periódico about that concert which was not magnanimous at all. Its headlines were something like "castañuelas enlatadas" as a clear reference IMHO to those that my cloth-ears (que no sé qué puñeta significa pero queda una chulada :cool: al igual que los acrónimos) perceive in "Don't answer me".
Ok, let's assume that Alan is far to be a showman or someone who boasts of playing dozens of instruments in his concerts (not at least the castañuelas) but there's no doubt about his quality as sound engineer.

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 19 2005, 16:36)
So, I'd like to ask to anyone who likes AP and the APP [Hiawatha, maybe? ;)]

Hiawatha, when you asked to me in another post about the origin of the name "The Alan Parsons Project" I thought you were still going on the joke that you had just begun with your funny version of 'Tricks of the light' :laugh: and that's why I answered something silly just pretending to continue that game playing a friendly card. I didn't realise that both of us shared this other devotion and that you were talking seriously!

Another helpful link for such kind of rareties: http://web.infoave.net/~dennmac/FAQS/faq_alanparsonsproject.html

----------------------------
A devoted Pyramidian

--------------
«Hasta mis debilidades son más fuertes que yo»
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 20:56

Over the years, I have to say that the 'Project is my second favorite band/artist. Behind you-know-who.

A devoted Pyramidian? I even have a 6 foot tall "Pyramid" record sales display made of 3 interlocking pyramids.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2005, 21:03

I like APP a lot,and on The Very Best Live,Chris Thompson is one of the singers.Saw them live as Alan Parsons Live Project in 97 twice here in Brazil,had the chance to talk to Alan aftershow.

AP live is really really funny,since he's not the frontman,he's playing keys and acoustic guitar in a upper place in the middle of the stage.

Alan's latest CD,A Valid Path,is 100% electronica,with David Gilmour on guitars on a track,as well as a interesting collaboration with The Crystal Method.

More info on him on these 2 sites:
www.alanparsonsmusic.com - which feat a pic of Alan doing a quad mix of TB for a demo record

and www.theavenueonline.info

Hope you enjoy!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
skibbylabab skibbylabab
Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 20 2005, 12:51

I propose you an amazing riddle. Let's see who can discover in all the www an ingenous relationship among masterpieces of Mike Oldfield, Alan Parsons and M.C. Escher all in one single image.
Has Google any secret for you? ;)
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2005, 18:09

The only Escher-Mike connection I'm aware of is Boxed. :) About AP-Escher connections, I have no idea. :)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 21 2005, 19:13

Does nobody know to which url I'm refering? :/
Well, if you find it so difficult.. I'll give you some hints: Ask me questions about it and I'll answer only 'YES' or 'NOT'.
Come on, fellas, show me what you're made of. :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2005, 19:28

Okay, skibby. Does the image have anything to do with Boxed? :)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 04:32

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 22 2005, 01:28)
Okay, skibby. Does the image have anything to do with Boxed? :)

It was not bad this try, but I think there appears only an Escher-Mike connection as you said before. Remember I said among masterpieces of Mike Oldfield, Alan Parsons and M.C. Escher all in one single image. I'm asking for an image in a web page, so the final answer should be an http location.
The answer is NO.  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 09:55

Does it matter which of the very different 3 or so "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" covers are involved?

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 14:42

Quote (hiawatha @ Jan. 22 2005, 15:55)
Does it matter which of the very different 3 or so "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" covers are involved?

Well, the page must involve MO, APP and MCE. A picture of Escher, an album of MO and another of APP. However any extra imagination in your aswer will be wellcome as well.
Now, if I were you, I'd begin asking something related to their albums ;).
In order to make it more 'interactive', the answer to your questions will be Yes/Not, True/False...
I'll put the answer if you give up, anyway.

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 16:08

Interesting to see so much, ehm, interest in this guy here. I've only properly heard one of his albums, "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" (his debut I believe?), I put it on once again a while ago and I liked it. Nice mix of styles on there. Reminds me a bit of Sky also. One of the tracks (The Tell-Tale Heart) sounds exactly like Iron Maiden, years before that band was founded. Which I always found quite puzzling. It's as though Maiden's whole career was built upon ripping off that one song.  :D
Another track, "The Cask of Amontillado", reminds me very strongly of Genesis, and also of The Beatles. Quite a rip-offer himself, this Mr Parsons, but a talented one.  ;)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 18:17

Just one more question, skibby: did I put this picture (which is the object of your quiz) among the ones linked here ? :)

Edit: The old links on that page didn't work any longer, but the new ones I just adjusted do all work. :)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 18:57

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 23 2005, 00:17)
Just one more question, skibby: did I put this picture (which is the object of your quiz) among the ones linked here ? :)

Edit: The links on that page don't work any longer. But maybe that picture is among the ones I listed, isn't it, skibby? :)

:O That was a very interesting post!
I know the pictures pointed by all this links including the broken ones and I'm affraid there is not the one I refer. Sorry, but the answer is 'No'.

--------------
Profile PM 
45 replies since Jan. 19 2005, 10:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net