Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Old Alan Parsons CD - "AP Live", Is this a boot?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 19:21

That's strange, because the pictures I linked were by far Escher's most popular ones. :) Anyway, we'd better clear the field here: are we talking about album covers or album titles? If the latter is the case, then the thing is much bigger than what I was thinking. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 19:53

Quote (hiawatha @ Jan. 22 2005, 09:55)
Does it matter which of the very different 3 or so "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" covers are involved?

I didn't see a Yes or Not on this one, so I am still wondering.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
skibbylabab skibbylabab Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2005, 20:51

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 23 2005, 01:21)
That's strange, because the pictures I linked were by far Escher's most popular ones. :)

To be honest, the picture is popularly ascribed to Escher, but I think he is not properly the original author.

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 23 2005, 01:21)
Anyway, we'd better clear the field here: are we talking about album covers or album titles? If the latter is the case, then the thing is much bigger than what I was thinking. :)

On the other hand, we are talking about albums' both covers and titles. But not just titles of themes or songs, no. We're talking about titles of albums. So it's quite easier.

Sorry, Hiawatha. The answer is Not. I can't find any relationship between the various covers of TOMAI and Mike Oldfield's. Did you find any?

Oh, dear. It's me now who is wondering if you are too patient with my limited english level while I'm trying to expose the whole idea of this riddle correctly :/. It's taking me a long time to do it.
One more try and tomorrow I'll propose you the solution.

--------------
«Hasta mis debilidades son más fuertes que yo»
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 23 2005, 12:58

You can read here to see some hints. You can stop reading whenever you think it's enough to find the answer by yourself. You can search in a browser from the keyword given.

***************HINT 1***************
We want to connect three equidistant points:
The first point is MO.
The second point is APP.
The third point is MCE.

Connecting the points MO-APP, APP-MCE and MCE-MO we form a ...    (--> keyword #1)

***************HINT 2***************
This keyword #1 is a plain figure.
If we connect 4 of them side by side and mount them over an square base, then we'll form a ...    (--> keyword #2)

***************HINT 3***************
Look for the connection between keyword #1 and MCE ...    (--> keyword #3)

***************HINT 4***************
Look for the connection between keyword #3 and APP ...    (--> keyword #4)

***************HINT 5***************
Notice the similarity between keyword #4 and the MO's most famous cover's saga.

***************HINT 6***************
Have a look at this possible answer:
answer1

In this link you can notice these references:
MO --> Sooner or later, we'll find it as the cover of "Tubular Bells N". Just a magic (re)touch and... that's it!
APP --> In the base, emerging from the sea, we can see a "Pyramid" and the author exposes clearly why.
MCE --> This figure is a reproduction of the popular picture known as "Escher's Triangle".
(I've just put it as my wallpaper :cool: ).

***************HINT 7***************
Now, look at this other one:
answer2
MO and MCE --> Similar to the first image.
APP --> The author confesses expressly his inspiration.
Furthermore, we could do an effort and imagine that the light in the middle represents the main star in the egyptians calendar which is also involved in pyramids construction. If so, we'd have obtained the only common title for one piece in MO and APP which is Sirius ('TR3S LUNAS' and 'The eye in the sky' ).

Well, I hope I didn't decieve you. :/

I have no ralationship with the authors of that pages. I was just strolling around the web. Don't think I'm taking any benefit if your visit them!  :p

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 08:17

This is why I asked about the "Tales" covers:

http://www.manticornio.com/rock-pr....ery.jpg

and

http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~histor....nd.jpeg

No Oldfield connection, however.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 10:51

Quote (hiawatha @ Jan. 24 2005, 14:17)
This is why I asked about the "Tales" covers:

http://www.manticornio.com/rock-pr....ery.jpg

and

http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~histor....nd.jpeg

No Oldfield connection, however.

So I understood quite fine because I was thinking at the first one you say form TOMAI which reminded to me this other one from Escher pictures, very similar to the one you suggested.

Have a glance to this this flash ani and some other rare objects about this topic at this page.

--------------
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 11:02

Quote (Holger @ Jan. 22 2005, 16:08)
Interesting to see so much, ehm, interest in this guy here. I've only properly heard one of his albums, "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" (his debut I believe?), I put it on once again a while ago and I liked it. Nice mix of styles on there.

Yes, Tales Of Mystery And Imagination is the first APP album, but you must be aware that the CD version is the 1987 version which is slightly different from the original: http://www.theavenueonline.info/site3/tale1987.htm All the songs on this album are inspired on Edgar Allan Poe's stories (the tittles of the tracks are the same as the narration in which is based each song).

About the connections. Let me tell you that apart from the Boxed cover there's also another MO-Escher connection. Most of the animations on The Essential video are inspired in Escher works. :)

Also, if this triangle is the relation between Ap, MO and Escher we can also add Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon (using any of the variations of the artwork). This album was produced by Alan Parsons and the artwork for the 30 anniversary was done by Storm Thorgerson and Peter Curzon who also have done some of the Alan Parson's covers after the project. As you can see it's a very tinny world :laugh:
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 11:10

Quote (Spinne @ Jan. 24 2005, 11:02)
Also, if this triangle is the relation between Ap, MO and Escher we can also add Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon (

Which brings us back to the cover art for Philip Glass "North Star"

http://www.connollyco.com/discography/philip_glass/north.jpg

very similar to the "Dark Side of the Moon" cover art. This album, of course, contains the original for the Mike Oldfield's "North Star" section of Platinum/Airborn.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 11:48

Quote (hiawatha @ Jan. 24 2005, 17:10)
Quote (Spinne @ Jan. 24 2005, 11:02)
Also, if this triangle is the relation between Ap, MO and Escher we can also add Pink Floyd's The Dark Side Of The Moon (

Which brings us back to the cover art for Philip Glass "North Star"

http://www.connollyco.com/discography/philip_glass/north.jpg

very similar to the "Dark Side of the Moon" cover art. This album, of course, contains the original for the Mike Oldfield's "North Star" section of Platinum/Airborn.

Wow, this theme is taking the dimensions of a thesis in musicology! :laugh:
Another brick in the topic: I have the original video of the superb Knebworth Festival wich is introduced by an animation of Escher's "Ascending and Descending" during the first compasses of Guilty.

--------------
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 13:11

Another brick in the topic (part 2) :p
The animation which introduces Ommadawn is also based on an Escher drawing:
Guilty: Ascending and Descending
Ommadawn: Waterfall

Boxed cover: Gallery and
Other World

And you can find more interesting drawings which plays with reality and fantasy (such as the wonderful Relativity) in the official page: http://www.mcescher.com/
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 14:54

Going way off topic here, aren't we? :)

Spinne & Skibby, it seems you are hitting hard on one of my favourite subjects EVER as far as art is concerned, i.e. optical illusions, impossible buildings, etc. Escher is one of my longtime favourite artists. Another is Hungarian Istvan Orosz, another two are American visual surrealists Jim Warren and Rob Gonsalves. If you really like 'unreal' art, I'd suggest you to check out all of them. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 15:22

Quote (Spinne @ Jan. 24 2005, 17:02)
Quote (Holger @ Jan. 22 2005, 16:08)
Interesting to see so much, ehm, interest in this guy here. I've only properly heard one of his albums, "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" (his debut I believe?), I put it on once again a while ago and I liked it. Nice mix of styles on there.

Yes, Tales Of Mystery And Imagination is the first APP album, but you must be aware that the CD version is the 1987 version which is slightly different from the original: http://www.theavenueonline.info/site3/tale1987.htm All the songs on this album are inspired on Edgar Allan Poe's stories (the tittles of the tracks are the same as the narration in which is based each song).

Thanks for the info. I've got the LP version, and I've read most of the Poe stories. Can't say that I would have gone about setting them to music quite the way Parsons did though, so I prefer not to make the connection while listening.
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 15:25

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 24 2005, 20:54)
Going way off topic here, aren't we? :)

Luckyly, you have contributed in this 'going way off', precisely you who initiated and first answered this topic.
Because there were certain moments in which I wondered if I was pissing out of the flowerpot :/ (we call it "mear fuera de tiesto") with this idea of mixing Escher with AP and MO. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2005, 15:41

Well... when I started this, I posted it in 'Other artists' because we weren't talking about MO but about Alan Parsons... :) So of course it is way off as far as MO is concerned. :D But I felt we were going 'off topic' here as we started talking about Alan Parsons, and we ended up talking about Escher and optical illusions. :) Obviously I don't worry at all about this - instead, it pleases me a lot. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2011, 15:42

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 21 2005, 01:09)
The only Escher-Mike connection I'm aware of is Boxed. :) About AP-Escher connections, I have no idea. :)

How about this CONNECTION!! (I41C3)

CLICK TO EXPAND!
I1

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2011, 16:28

@ eye-one: that's one of the endless variations on the basic theme. Very nice. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2011, 16:35

I did not realise he played 5MO in new york, did you know of this poster?

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2011, 16:41

Quote (0+1(I1) @ Aug. 31 2011, 22:35)
I did not realise he played 5MO in new york, did you know of this poster?

Mike played 5MO pretty much everywhere - it was sort-of a hit at the time. :) Regarding the poster, I'm not familiar with that particular version of it. But I'm more than familiar with Escher's original. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2011, 17:25

I wonder where he got it from & if it was a one off 4 his appearance at "MY FATHERS PLACE" maybe its a photo from 5 miles up :laugh:

--------------
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2011, 17:33

There's no guarantee that the poster was actually used for the New York show - indeed, I don't think it was. It's the cover of a bootleg record, so only the bootlegger(s) know where did he/she/they take it from. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
45 replies since Jan. 19 2005, 10:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net