Group: Members
Posted: May 19 2002, 22:07

THE GREAT REBIRTH!

Congratulation!
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: May 20 2002, 03:45

The more I listen to the 'Return Ro The Origin' clip the more I love it - it's growing to be my fave (extract at least - I wonder what the 'whoop whoop' sounds are as the extract fades out?

We're in for a real treat here folks..can't wait! I'll have to wait til July 1st though as i order through Amazon.co.uk - :-$

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 20 2002, 06:42

Check it out everyone! the website has been updated with the english version! smile

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 20 2002, 07:02

Mmmmh, avatars! I hope Music VR has a dolphin avatar, than I can swim around in the game with the multiplayer game! smile Weeheee!

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: May 20 2002, 07:53

Hey Blue Dophin, you have eagle ears! I`ve listened to Taurus 1 and Misty and... yes- the same bass part in the beginning!!!!
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: May 20 2002, 08:17

Yes, it looks like Mike is quoting himself quite alot in this album... not that it's a bad thing. He does it all time.

I have just listened to Tres Lunas and there's definitely a quote from TBII (somewhere on part 2 but I can't remember the exact title).

Cheers.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: May 20 2002, 11:33

This is some seriously sweet stuff...

I, too, heard some quoting--most distinctly in "Return to the Origin," where something in it triggers the memory of another song...but I can't quite figure out what it is.

Sirius and Turtle Island are 2 other faves from these samples. But I have to say that "To Be Free" just didn't click for me. It's like having "Man in the Rain" in the middle of TB3, which I always thought interrupted the flow.

Still---this is going to be a wonderful album! The BIG drawback is that I'm in the States--who knows WHEN it will be released here? Waaaaah! I'm in purgatory!!
Profile PM WEB 
Juan Luis Offline

Posted: May 20 2002, 13:39

At the very end of Tres Lunas sample there is a tune which is played with a kind of electric guitar that is exactly the same as a tune from Tubular Bells II. You can hear it several times through Dark Star track, for example at 00:40 with piano and at 1:08 with a keyboard.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: May 20 2002, 14:46

coooooooooooooooooooooooooool biggrin

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: May 20 2002, 23:34

Hey,
Am I really the only one to think that there
would be an excellent opportunity here to
revolutionize promotion as well as the production? The music we are to receive soon seem spectacular, and I have no doubt that
the whole experience of musicVR will be
extraordinary. But, there could be more
spectacular web presentation of "Tres Lunas",
especially since the important elements of
MVR has already been released with the demo.
Anyway, love the sounds Mike!
Cheers
Shingebis Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 00:34

I, too, heard some quoting--most distinctly in "Return to the Origin," where something in it triggers the memory of another song...but I can't quite figure out what it is.

It's quite close to Maya Gold from TB2, I think - the same 'organ' sound. There's also a sequence 'D-F-G-F-G-A-G' which is similar to one used in Mont St Michel... but that's stretching it a bit smile

Seems there are a lot of TB2 references - as well as this and the title track / Dark Star link Juan Luis mentioned, I think there's a vague similarity between Misty and Sentinel, and No Man's Land and Weightless.
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 03:12

The worlds largest game expo, E3 has just begun somewhere in the US. Any chance that Music VR is shown there?

It would be a great oportunity to show the game for the hole world.

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Osiris Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 03:32

hhhm, not sure that the game would have a great success there (E3). All gamers will laugh seeing that old graphics, and compared with new games, the difference is far too important... But I think that the interest of a good game is not the graphical quality, but is gameplay. MVR is a revolution in that domain, a game based on exploration, relaxation, and music, has never been released before, and maybe it won't be funny or relaxing at all, but it's a revolution, and I hope that many game companies will follow the path. But I'm a bit pessimist, and i'm sure that nobody excepted fans will hear something about it. And that the sells will be low... But it will be our job to show MVR to as much people as possible, and particularly to all gamers of our family and friends who don't know mike at all. This game is a good way to convert people to Mike's music. I think that in 13 days, we'll live something very special with MVR, and nothing will no more be the same...
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 04:40

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been waiting for that for a long time. Definitely one of his "growing on you" albums, but a very fast growing one ! I began to like more the extracts from the 2nd listening, and really loving them from the 3rd !!

And I'm so pleased to see such a positive response among us. Where are the - often useful - angry criticisms ?

Ha-ha-ha-happy.
Jerome

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
Ludor Tudor Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 07:11

Damn these exams!!! Because of them, I didn't have the chance to listen to the tracks before today...
But enough about that: These tracks are great. And if I know Mike's music, the tracks will be even more fantastic the longer you hear...
I nearly can't wait!

--------------
Kjell at oldfield.no
Why don't you have a try to win at the competition?
Profile PM WEB 
Fox Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 08:34

This is unusual. I can't remember the last time I've heard such positive feedback from samples of tracks. Sounds promising ;-)

On top of that, I'm hearing phrases like, "best since [pick one: Amarok | TB2]." Well, I'll wait until I hear the whole thing before I say that, but it's refreshing to hear positive feedback for once.

There is one thing I'd like to say: I for one don't care if the graphics of MVR aren't top of the line. Just as long as they're not bottom of the line!

I think it's unfair to compare MVR to video games of today. I don't think it's supposed to be compared with anything else; it should be taken on its own, as a unique creation. Mike said it's not a game per se, so I don't think it's fair to compare it with computer games at all.

I'd buy it just to hear the music! It's a unique creation, and should stand on its own until someone else creates something similiar.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 08:47

Yes! Promotion! I think MVR commercials on TV should be transmitted all over the world! Also the MVR presentation on the MVR site!

Also, I wonder if game magazines will review Music VR on their issues. And about the graphics and gameplay.... I lately read that a lot of gamers are dissapointed with nowaday games because it's all very beautiful and all, but the gameplay is too short. They rather have long gameplay than super graphics. So I really hope reviews of MVR will be superb!

And, promotion all over the world! I want to see it on all dutch and foreign media 10.000 times! wink

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: May 21 2002, 10:20

I hope that it is only the openings of the various songs we hear. It's all very neat and well polished, but terribly boring.
What I fear is a cross between Kitaro and Vangelis. Neat and polished music that never moves anywhere.
There is a lot of potential in the sound, so I really look forward to the album. I would just hate it if it turns out to be neat backgroundmusic, as the risk is with chill-out albums.
theweightless Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 10:28

tres lunas sounds f***ing great...can't wait.

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: May 21 2002, 11:23

Blue Dolphin:

I mailed a Swedish gameingmagazine ant suggested that they should write about Music VR, the man behind it and finally a review. The answer I got was. "why should we wright about that? its not a game that is on everybodys lips". The embarrassing about the whole thing is that the magazines stands for groundbraking ideas and originality. And then, when a game comes who should fit there wishes, they ignore it because its not that well known as for example Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Counter Strike and so on and so forth.

So, my guess is that there will be very few or none review in game magazines of this game which is truly sad frown

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
91 replies since May 17 2002, 07:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net