Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Obsessive thunderstorm< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
gorjanbak Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 26 2000, 16:51

Can anybody tell's me witch are the instruments in obsessive thunderstorm at the end of second part of HERGEST RIDGE ?
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: June 27 2000, 04:48

It sounds like a few overdubbed guitars plus an organ to me.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 27 2000, 14:51

According to David Bedford's analisys it's 96 overdubbed guitars. I frankly don't believe it. wink To me it sounds like no more than 12 or 15 guitar overdubs, some of them double-speeded.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: June 28 2000, 02:55

IMHO, there's some overdubed Guitars (I don't know the number and I think nobody knows... As they are distorted, saturated, fuzzed etc, I don't think they are more than 10) and an organ. Yes, I'm pretty sure there's an organ.
GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Vinz Offline

Posted: June 28 2000, 05:41

I think we can add an electric guitar in the background...

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
Rod Offline

Posted: June 28 2000, 20:48

SEVERAL guitars in the background. And don't forget the soloing electric guitars in some parts. I want to believe that there were 96 guitars as David Bedford says, it sounds so cool... but honestly I don't believe it.. hehe.. It would be great if we could get a reliable source to tell us the truth.
Profile PM 
Rod Offline

Posted: June 28 2000, 20:49

Oh and an organ? Nahh.. it's only guitars... but some of them with heavy effects.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 02 2000, 20:09

There could be quite a few there...96 though...not sure. He would have had to have 'bounced' things a few times (mixing several tracks together onto a single track), which would have made things lose definition (less treble, more wooly sounding). That might mean there are actually more than it sounds like (some being hidden in the background as nothing much more than a fuzzy mush).
Of course, double tracking several guitars playing the same melody at the same pitch would make it sound like less guitars than there really are, although it would sound a bit 'bigger'.
There is an organ in there as well - it comes in at the bit where the guitars take up that theme from TB (that's at somewhere around 12 minutes in). It plays that little melody over the top of it. It also comes back somewhere before the 15 minute mark. Listening to a copy of the original mix, there are also some female voices in various parts (just ooohs and aahs).

There's a great thing I've noticed right near the end of the thunderstorm section as well. In the background, towards the right hand side (on the remix at least) there's a guitar that bends in pitch interestingly (I think you can only hear this on the remix properly)...it sounds a bit like heavy use of a guitar's tremolo arm, but I think it's actually a guitar that's been recorded to tape and 'scrubbed' over the tape heads (I hope I don't spark off a huge discussion with this...). It's a bit like a DJ 'scratching' records really...who said Mike's links with dance music were anything new? wink
Profile PM 
Lightspeed Offline

Posted: July 11 2002, 10:09

Note: That Thunderstorm part was a nice excuse for him not to do concerts those days....

How could he play it live without using playback?

and use about 20 guitarist with guitars fuzzed just to be similar to the album sound?

Yep....Mikey-Boy was smart....think big....fill the multitrack....no live :D

and because of that...ppl had to wait till 1979....

i tend to agree with Branson on that matter...He said if Mike started playing live earlier...he could be a legend...

Now he's more like a....modern veteran genius....having an asteroid with his name....

But it's all relative...

--------------
"Thou Art In Heaven" :D
Profile PM 
pantofis Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2006, 13:11

I read of 62 guitars on that section, repeating the trick for the opening of "Ommadawn Part Two"...

I will always believe it was over 60 guitars. 96 sounds even better.

The music is much too crazy to let it be there just on 10 guitars...
Profile PM 
9 replies since June 26 2000, 16:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net