Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Now I Like Tubular Bells, I'm such a slow poke< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 15 2007, 02:51

I had given the original TB several attempts in the past, but I always had a hard time sitting through it, thus it wasn't one of my faves. I felt odd about it since a) there's so much of MO's work that I do like, and b) TB seemed to be the most popular album.

I recently bought the 2003 rerecording, and - on first play - listened through the entire album from beginning to end, enjoying it immensely. I'm sure that to someone who knows the original recording frontwards and backwards, there must be noticeable differences, but to me it seems very much the same music... just a lot more listenable, and now I finally get it.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 12:11

When I got to hear the 2003 re-recording I seriously started to doubt that the original really was any good, and I've been listening to the original for 25 years.

I think it's the weakest of Mike's early works, and the charm that it does have, it own much to its faults and bruises. So I'm affected the same way you are by the re-recording, but the other way around so to speak.  :/

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 15 2007, 13:55

I find it hard to call Tubular Bells and Tubular Bells 2003 "the same music", because personally, I think several stretches in the re-recording truly compromise the musical quality because of highly questionable arrangements.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 15 2007, 17:52

Quote (larstangmark @ May 15 2007, 16:11)
When I got to hear the 2003 re-recording I seriously started to doubt that the original really was any good, and I've been listening to the original for 25 years.

I think it's the weakest of Mike's early works, and the charm that it does have, it own much to its faults and bruises. So I'm affected the same way you are by the re-recording, but the other way around so to speak.  :/

Call me an old nostalgic but TB2003 just doesn't quite  cut the mustard with me as so to speak  :O.

TB2003 to me is a little too polished, and John Cleese just isn't Monty Python enough. I love the original Tubular Bells warts and all
, infact I don't really notice the warts   :)  :D.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: May 16 2007, 03:52

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ May 15 2007, 18:55)
I think several stretches in the re-recording truly compromise the musical quality because of highly questionable arrangements.

Can you give us an example of the bits you mean, Sir M?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 16 2007, 15:15

I've already addressed most of those problems on a long thread I created, but some of them are: 'Basses', with the 80's hair metal arrangement; 'Latin' and 'Jazz', with the lift music feel; 'Introduction', with the growing momentum pretty much canceled right from the start; 'Thrash', with the dentist's drill guitars; and the overall way in which the mix feels blatant and seems to lack texture. I can understand that many of the arrangements are different, but I don't think they're necessarily improved - and to me, some of them just don't work. As for the sound quality, the way I hear it, the mix just exchanges the flaws of 70's analogue recording for the flaws of 00's digital recording.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: May 16 2007, 15:37

Quote (larstangmark @ May 15 2007, 12:11)
I think it's the weakest of Mike's early works, and the charm that it does have, it own much to its faults and bruises.

I agree. I regard both Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn more highly than Tubular Bells. At the same time, I greatly respect TB, not only for its historical importance, but also for its unique musical character, and possibly even more so for - what I understand to be - the troubled psyche it grow from. For listening enjoyment, I prefer TB2003, but I'm unsure if this reaction is from an emotional, intellectual, or aesthetic viewpoint. I suspect intellectualism and aestheticism have more to do with it than emotionalism, for me, whereas aestheticism is likely the strongest force behind my attachment to HR, as emotionalism is for Ommadawn.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 11 2007, 14:20

This question probably doesn't need its own topic, so I'll just ask it here:

At the end of "Blues", there is a very brief lovely piano melody. Does it show up elsewhere on the album (or on another album)? I think it deserves more than a mere twenty seconds.

--------------
Profile PM 
7 replies since May 15 2007, 02:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net