Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Nothing But / The Time Has Come< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 08:28

I checked the Islands forum and the Earth Moving forum and couldn't find anything about this - So...

The opening to Nothing But is almost the same as the theme from The Time Has Come.

:D

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 19:33

Yes, it is. :D It's not a note-perfect equivalence, but the basic idea is the same in both pieces. Congratulations for spotting it, Ben, and welcome back to the board. ;)

Mike is always rather good at recycling his own material. Just think of the use he made of a very simple six-note theme in Amarok: five years later that theme had become one of the best things (IMHO) he's ever done, i.e. "Let There Be Light". And the foundation for the bagpipe theme in Ommadawn part II had been laid by Mike way back in 1968, during the Sallyangie sessions. These are just two examples, there are many more.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 05:44

Hey Ugo. :) Where does the six-note theme appear in Amarok? I like to compare things like that :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 07:23

It starts at about 8'37'', in the first "Roses" section. According to the analysis here on tubular.net, which I translated, it's the same theme on which "Let There Be Light" (a later composition) is based, and it's eight-nine notes rather than six. :) Also, the theme that starts at 11'54'' is similar to "Blue Saloon", which is also a later release. And starting from 12'45'' the main theme of "The Wind Chimes" (i.e. the one in Part I) is reprised on guitars and mandolin.

The bagpipe theme in Ommadawn part II is "A Sad Song for Rosie", on the Sallyangie bonus disc.

--------------
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 07:38

Thanks Ugo. :) Just listened to them all. The 3rd one (The Wind Chimes) is particularly subtle, but they're all there. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 05 2009, 08:59

Quote (Moz @ Jan. 05 2009, 13:38)
The 3rd one (The Wind Chimes) is particularly subtle, but they're all there. :)

On the Amarok Player (a nice little app that I used to have here on my PC, but unfortunately doesn't work any longer because I changed both of my CD players [a DVD player and a burner]), that theme is named "Bridge to Hergest Ridge". It does indeed sound like a cross between the WC theme and the HR instrumentation and mood. It's so very nice to find that within Amarok. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2010, 10:57

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 04 2009, 01:33)
Mike is always rather good at recycling his own material. Just think of the use he made of a very simple six-note theme in Amarok: five years later that theme had become one of the best things (IMHO) he's ever done, i.e. "Let There Be Light".

Woooow!!!!! Amazing stuff!!! Never noticed that one!!! Big one, my friend!! That flute performs exactly the 'Let There be Light' melody!!!! I really, really didn't know that one.

Who would say to me I would discover that from those two albums in my revival of 'Earth Moving'????

Regards.

Delfín>>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
6 replies since Jan. 03 2009, 08:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net