Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Not too good< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TheInfection Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 22 2002, 07:11

The first track is a great example, what will happen when Oldfield has some inspiration. Rest of the tracks are just technical experimentation.

Regards,
TheInfection
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 22 2002, 07:43

With regards to technical experimentation, I think it's a shame he didn't take a bit of extra time to do some more technical experimentation - I feel that an album played using entirely guitars could have come out being more unique sounding than Guitars did.

I think some of the reason for doing it so quickly was to get out of his contract with Warner that he had at the time, leaving him free of obligations to work on Music VR, after having completed The Millennium Bell (another album which was done quickly).
Profile PM 
TheInfection Offline

Posted: May 23 2002, 03:29

Another thing... I think Mike should use a producer. An artist cannot always judge his/hers work objectively.

Regards,
TheInfection
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: May 31 2002, 02:18

mike works well with guitars, but a whole album of just guitars is a little too much. trying to substitute every instrument with a guitar doesn't always work out. Guitars has its good tracks but it can get a little boring after a while.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: May 31 2002, 05:00

I didn't like guitars much at first, but now I like it a lot. Muse is excelent, and Out of Mind is a track I discovered to by really good. It's an interesting concept, and it turned out well, but it probably won't be remembered as a classic.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 31 2002, 18:58

There are lots of types of guitars, and lots of varied sounds possible with them - it just needs time taken to explore them, and possibly a producer/collaborator to push the experimentation in the right direction.

Keeping it from sounding boring is really down to creative playing, arranging and composition.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2002, 06:03

Another thing I find good about this sort of album is that the composer is working on his own, so it's impossable to have someone else play it slightly wrong, it will always be exacly what you wanted (hopefully...). The variety in this album is staggering, and there is so much going on behind the main melody. I would hate to see how many guitarists you would need to play it live...

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2002, 08:05

But just think, if Mike got x-many guitarists for a performance of Amarok, a bit of Guitars could be added to the setlist.  :)

Also, raven's first point- composer by himself, what he wanted etc. - isn't that why Mike didn't have/want many collaborators/other musicians on his early albums eg TB, HR...?
Profile PM WEB 
Horse Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2002, 02:11

It can be said in short...
We want Thom Newman back!
Profile PM WEB 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2003, 11:33

well........"GUITARS' is not my favourite MIke's album.I mean, i like it but it is not really that good compared to TBIII or some other new stuff.songs like "OUT OF SIGHT" and "OUT OF MIND" are lacking something.
but three songs are amongst my all time favourites -
"COCHISE" in my opinion one of his best nineties song.and i love to play it on my guitar
"4 WINDS" - epic tale....9 minutes of emotiones and action
"ENIGMATISM" - really moving small piece reminds a bit of his older works...

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 15 2003, 13:31

When I see an album titled Guitars, and claiming that "all sounds were originated on guitars", I'd expect something far more mindblowing. Like some Brian May guitar noises like he did on Good Company, or even stuff similar to what Robert Fripp does often. Come to think of it, an album entirely made of freaky guitar noises can be majorly fun.

I don't think that was the idea of Guitars, though. There are synths, and just the fact that they were played through a guitar isn't exciting at all. But the music is quite good. And hey, how often do you see Mike playing blues? ;)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2003, 14:28

Mike plays blues not to often - but when he plays it he plays it much better than on "B BLUES" track.just listen to "12 BAR BLUES" track, an Ommadawn session outtake.simply no one plays like that....

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2003, 08:23

I dunno if it's only me, but I love "Out Of Mind" a lot. This is apparently Mike's attempt at trying something Rolling Stonesy, and I noticed it immediately when the song hit me for the first time. It might be my favourite song on the album! Second is Summit Day, easily.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2003, 13:17

All in all, I quite like the album; I just think it's a shame that with very little or no extra effort, it could have been so much better. MIDI drums on a guitar-only album? No thanks, Mike!
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2003, 21:46

awww! how sad! i liked this album a lot. Out of Sight rocks. although, i guess i'm just a sucker for distortion effects :) this album reminds me a lot of my trips to Germany, too, so i guess it has sentimental value along with the sounds.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2003, 23:11

Hi!

I am a lucky bargee who is absolutely glad with Guitars. I'm reading with regret that You don't feel like me, because it has made me delighted so many times! For me, (maybe except for TBII) there isn't any albums more exciting than Guitars, especially because of its lot of different tempers.

And B. Blues is the best blues I've ever heard!  :D (IMHO) I can't listen to it without intense empathy...

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2003, 07:42

---

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Bonsignore Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2003, 09:12

Blimey! Guitars is straightforward, cutting-edge,varied...with a shimmering beauty of a song "summit day" (my fav track off the album)...I'm pleased with that one :p
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2007, 17:06

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 06 2002, 06:03)
The variety in this album is staggering, and there is so much going on behind the main melody. I would hate to see how many guitarists you would need to play it live...

Mmm... Guitars live... *daydreams*

Initially, I didn't appreciate the variety and depth of sounds in Guitars. I'm so glad that I finally replaced my missing CD some months ago so I can enjoy the simple classicism of "Muse", the rockness of "Out of Sight", and the exoticism of "Four Winds", among other joys.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2008, 05:50

I'm fascinated with the opinions here.  My take is that if half of these tracks had been bits of TB or Ommadawn people would be raving about how great they are.
Profile PM 
21 replies since May 22 2002, 07:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net