Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 06 2008, 03:09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trfkKin3qfE
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 11 2010, 08:39

This isn't as much fun as some of the other videos, but it's actually considerably artier, with the dull colours matching the song's emphasis on greyness. The fact that the singer's clothes colour matches that of the lighthouse can't be coincidence either. Anyone know who directed this? I suspect it was Mike himself.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 11 2010, 18:24

Quote (nightspore @ April 11 2010, 14:39)
Anyone know who directed this? I suspect it was Mike himself.

This is part of the Wind Chimes video album, so, yes, it's Mike himself - with the exception of "Magic Touch", which was directed by Ian Emes (Eames?). I think I've already stated elsewhere what I think of this, but I'll repeat it here: very nice video (yes, the colour palette is carefully calculated), excellent music, totally shitty lyrics. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 11 2010, 20:45

Quote (Ugo @ April 11 2010, 18:24)
Quote (nightspore @ April 11 2010, 14:39)
Anyone know who directed this? I suspect it was Mike himself.

This is part of the Wind Chimes video album, so, yes, it's Mike himself - with the exception of "Magic Touch", which was directed by Ian Emes (Eames?). I think I've already stated elsewhere what I think of this, but I'll repeat it here: very nice video (yes, the colour palette is carefully calculated), excellent music, totally shitty lyrics. :D

Ha ha, you know what I think of the lyrics too  :D

Really, I don't know why Mike didn't direct all the videos himself. The more I think about that one for "Let There Be Light" the sillier I think it is. You'd think he'd want to oversee all aspects of his creations.

For some reason, I can't access the video for "Magic Touch". Oh no! How will I ever survive?  :D
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 12 2010, 02:53

Am I the only one that likes the lyrics in Nortpoint :)
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 09:14

No.

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 11:12

Quote (^NabLa^ @ April 12 2010, 09:14)
No.

I don't think they're too bad, actually, but Ugo and I debated the point some time ago and agreed to disagree, so there's probably not much more to be said!
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 12:31

I like the lyrics.

"Have you ever been to Northpoint
to spend your time and pray...?"

No, I haven't actually, but I'd like to :D.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 14:14

Quote (wiga @ April 12 2010, 12:31)
I like the lyrics.

I have a theory that Mike was lyrically under the influence of Jon Anderson at the time.
The Wind Chimes videos are quite awful IMO. The exception is Flying Start because it has Kevin Ayers in it. Magic Touch only shows what a proper video director could have done with the project. The Wind Chimes (the title track that is) looks like a screensaver and perhaps that's how the videos were meant to be viewed. Something to have on your "video wall" as a backdrop to your next cocktail party.

But hell I've seen worse. There's an old (90s) Tangerine Dream video which is beyond pointless. I remember gondolas in Venice in 10 different colours...

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 16:51

Quote (larstangmark @ April 12 2010, 14:14)
Quote (wiga @ April 12 2010, 12:31)
I like the lyrics.

I have a theory that Mike was lyrically under the influence of Jon Anderson at the time.

Lars - is that a good thing, to be influenced by Jon Anderson? I don't always pay attention to lyrics but I liked lyrics from "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and "Going for the One"....

With this video I was hoping to see "Northpoint" - the prison. I assume it was built on a rock somewhere remote and relatively inaccessable, perhaps in the North Sea.

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 17:12

@ Wiga: the only prison named Northpoint I could manage to find on Wikipedia is this. It's in Kentucky, so nowhere near the North Sea. :) Regarding the lyrics, to me they're silly right from the second line you quoted: "Have you ever been to Northpoint / to spend your time and pray?" You don't pray in a prison. At least, most of the people who are there just don't. :D

@ Lars: the videos for the Islands album, or at least the long Wind Chimes video, were meant to complement the music - in Mike's (twisted?) mind, videos and music should have worked together as one thing. I cannot say whether they actually work or not, I kinda like them. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 17:32

Ugo - you might be reading too much into it - it's just a story.. an intriuging story I think :). You might pray for their souls if you went there..perhaps?

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 17:41

No, I'm not reading too much into it. To me, a lyric is nice when it has a meaning, however stupid that meaning is. To me these lyrics don't mean anything ["way beyond the searchlight comes alive"... does this mean anything to you?? :D] and so they're just plainly silly. However, please don't start me again on this, because, as nightspore pointed out above, I had quite a long debate with him on the same subject. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 17:44

Ok Ugo - seeing as it's your birthday ;).

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 17:58

Quote (wiga @ April 12 2010, 23:44)
Ok Ugo - seeing as it's your birthday ;).

?? What are you talking about? It's not! And as far as I know I'm not a little white beastie. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 12 2010, 21:09

Quote (Ugo @ April 12 2010, 17:41)
"way beyond the searchlight comes alive"... does this mean anything to you??

It does if you add a comma between "beyond" and "the".

Ie "Way beyond, the searchlight comes alive"

means "In the far distance, the searchlight becomes visible."
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 13 2010, 02:28

Quote (wiga @ April 12 2010, 16:51)
Lars - is that a good thing, to be influenced by Jon Anderson? I don't always pay attention to lyrics but I liked lyrics from "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and "Going for the One"....

It's a matter of taste really, but Jon has his own cosmology where "praying" is not necesarily a religious practice but just a generally nice/groovy thing to do!

I think Jon is a genius but his lyrics were never meant to be read out of context. A lot of it are just words that goes well with the music. There's a line in the Yes song Close to the Edge that goes "Re-arrange your liver to the sound of mental grace...". I think we all can agree that it doesn't mean a lot, but when I listen to the song and turn up the volume I sure sing along without fliniching.
Lars T

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 13 2010, 07:35

Quote (larstangmark @ April 13 2010, 02:28)
Jon has his own cosmology where "praying" is not necesarily a religious practice but just a generally nice/groovy thing to do!

That could make sense - like meditation, for a higher state of consciousness and loving-kindness  :cool:.

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 13 2010, 07:53

Quote (wiga @ April 13 2010, 07:35)
Quote (larstangmark @ April 13 2010, 02:28)
Jon has his own cosmology where "praying" is not necesarily a religious practice but just a generally nice/groovy thing to do!

That could make sense - like meditation, for a higher state of consciousness and loving-kindness  :cool:.

Absolutely! But considering the hardcore materialism that is de rigeur in the world of music and art, this is the kind of thing that is typically used to ridicule Jon. Couple that with his home-made think-positive type ideology and he's a possible scientologist too...hmmm

I like Jon Anderson more for every year.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 13 2010, 09:33

Quote (larstangmark @ April 13 2010, 07:53)
I like Jon Anderson more for every year.

I hear he speaks very highly of you too, Lars  :D

A joke - seeing as it's your birthday!
Profile PM 
34 replies since Mar. 06 2008, 03:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net