Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: No subforum for Tubular Beats?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 16 2013, 09:04

While obviously not a "regular" album, it seems to me that Tubular Beats deserves its own subforum as much as any official release, and would be right at home in the compilations section. So far, the only place to talk about it seems to be this thread in the News section, but it's old news by now, and the thread could be moved to the new subforum if and when it is created.

Not sure how many posts such a subforum would attract, now that the dust has settled on that release, but, I dunno, since we have a subforum for every official compilation, the forum seems incomplete without it. No big issue obviously but it would be neat.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 16 2013, 15:49

I second that! As far as I'm concerned it's part of Mike's discography. It's not a York album.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2013, 06:22

I agree, regardless of whether I personally have any interest in the album, I feel it should be included.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 18 2013, 11:25

I think Mike said it was or it became York's album, something like that, and he never mentioned it by himself. We probably should have a "Compilations and remixes" section in the discography. Added a forum.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 18 2013, 12:06

Quote (Olivier @ Nov. 18 2013, 15:25)
I think Mike said it was or it became York's album, something like that, and he never mentioned it by himself.

That's I guess a bone of contention - whenever Torsten's mentioned it, he's sought to underline how much of a collaboration it was, whereas Mike did say it was 75% Torsten. I think it was probably Torsten who wanted to push it in the direction of marketing it as a Mike Oldfield album, and I think the cover (and probably the title too) was his idea. Personally, I think it might have been better served being marketed as Mike Oldfield + York, as I think it appeals as much or possibly more to Torsten's fanbase as it does to Mike's. Still, last I heard, sales of it were reasonable.

If it being 75% Torsten's work makes it, according to Mike, more of a York album than a Mike Oldfield one, I wonder where that places Man on the Rocks... ;)

Anyway, putting it in Compilations seems like a good solution!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 18 2013, 13:54

Quote (Korgscrew @ Nov. 18 2013, 18:06)
Personally, I think it might have been better served being marketed as Mike Oldfield + York, as I think it appeals as much or possibly more to Torsten's fanbase as it does to Mike's.

Yes, I thought the same. It's a bit weird that it only has Mike's name on the cover. Even though we all know how varied Mike's stylistic range is, if this was actually a "pure" MO album, it would really stick out as sounding totally different, more so than Earth Moving or whatever else he has done that is not what we'd think of as "regular MO sound". The closest he's ever done on his own is probably TBIII - but still the difference is enormous, like a mild breeze compared to a hurricane. :)

That said I like the album and I'd actually be happy if Mike was capable of doing this kind of thing instead of something like Romance... OK, maybe the comparison is not fair.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Nov. 16 2013, 09:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net