Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: No returning to ommadawn happening.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Priabonia Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 22 2017, 12:52

Quote (First_Excursion @ Jan. 22 2017, 00:12)
After a while it started putting me to sleep but then that gratingly over compressed TBII guitar sound reared it's pretentious head and I felt the urge to destroy all the glassware and crockery with my favourite axe.

Oh dear - I think our tastes are aligned so I am suspecting I won't like this (to be frank I haven't bothered to order it...I intend to wait until I can find it online somewhere and if it's worth it, buy it...I can't say I feel guilty about depriving Mike of any income as he certainly deprived me of mine for no return from TBII onwards!)

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 01:05

You can buy the album digitally through Amazon, as I did.

This is the first time I've logged on in a few years (I almost disowned myself from the Oldfield fanbase after MOTR) but as I've just listened to Return To Ommadawn all the way through for the first time I figured I would throw in my 2 cents.

What I found strange as I listened to Part 1 was that initially I was pretty unimpressed, but hours after hearing it I feel the need to listen to it again, so maybe there is a chance it will grow on me. I find Part 1 much more akin to Hergest Ridge than to Ommadawn, but less melancholy than either. It is also less intense than either. Really the only way I can describe it after one hearing was "pleasant" but not overly memorable. I felt like the melodies on this part were somewhat underdeveloped and somewhat weak as a result. There are ghostly mirages of his past albums strewn throughout: a nod to Ommadawn here, Amarok there, Voyager here, Hergest Ridge there. The overall effect is somewhat unsettling and uneasy- there is nothing overtly offensive about the music here but it left me feeling slightly puzzled. Again I do intend to listen to the whole album again (possibly several times if it grows on me) so my feelings may shift.

Onto Part 2: strangely, I found the 2nd half of RTO to be far more effective than the 1st. The melodies were a bit stronger, the playing a bit more muscular, and in general it held my attention more so than the more subdued Part 1. There are shades of Voyager here, as well as the obligatory reference to Tubular Bells with Mike playing a 16th note bass sequence (very well played mind you) and jaunty acoustic playing. Again, nothing here blew me away either, until I heard the last 2 minutes. When I heard what is essentially the climax of the album, I actually hit the rewind button several times to listen again before the tune could even reach the end (the first and only occurrence of the whole listening section). It almost felt to me like Mike had reached down within himself and pulled out one last nugget of real inspiration- until I realized I was just hearing a reworking of the climax from Amarok, but it was still effective.

Overall I have to agree about the album's production and fidelity- it definitely could have benefited from some more EQ work. There are also some parts that are noticeably played out of time. Mike may have wanted it to sound raw, but the impression I got was that he recorded the first take and just didn't bother trying to get a better performance in some places. Still, the acoustic guitar playing though the whole album is really good. The electric playing is nice too, but it lacks the bite it did even 20 years ago, but I think that's just a sign of Mike mellowing. He actually seems happy now, if I were judging by the music. Some of his best music was written while he was in a great state of mental anguish. But I'm glad he's happier now. We should be thankful he is still bothering to record music at all, despite my criticisms.

I would give RTO 3 out of 5 stars. I like it, but I wish he had spent 6 more months refining the ideas, maybe expanding the variations and melodies and polishing the production. All in my personal opinion.
Profile PM WEB 
Yann Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 03:06

Quote (GusFogle @ Jan. 23 2017, 01:05)
Overall I have to agree about the album's production and fidelity- it definitely could have benefited from some more EQ work. There are also some parts that are noticeably played out of time. Mike may have wanted it to sound raw, but the impression I got was that he recorded the first take and just didn't bother trying to get a better performance in some places. Still, the acoustic guitar playing though the whole album is really good. The electric playing is nice too, but it lacks the bite it did even 20 years ago, but I think that's just a sign of Mike mellowing. He actually seems happy now, if I were judging by the music. Some of his best music was written while he was in a great state of mental anguish. But I'm glad he's happier now. We should be thankful he is still bothering to record music at all, despite my criticisms.

Agreed, the mixing sounds raw. However, electric guitars sound quite nice... it seems that Mike got a nice sound using guitar effects... while the acoustic instrument recordings remained quite raw.

Quote (GusFogle @ Jan. 23 2017, 01:05)

I would give RTO 3 out of 5 stars. I like it, but I wish he had spent 6 more months refining the ideas, maybe expanding the variations and melodies and polishing the production. All in my personal opinion.

And agreed.

Though I think that this happened because Mike felt he had made a great album and needed to release it to tell everybody "hey guys, I'm not dead, and I'm back". But the album needed more work, it seems like it was not ripe enough.... I hope he goes back to it and works it a bit more. In my opinion, it has the potential to be one of his great ones.
Profile PM 
seventeen64 Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 04:38

Beyond a "10 year anniversary remake" or something, I can't see it. The CDs, DVDs and Vinyl are pressed - distributed across the world. Its not easy to take something like that back.

I think we've got what we've got.

--------------
life is not one-dimensional
Profile PM 
Yann Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 12:19

Quote (seventeen64 @ Jan. 23 2017, 04:38)
Beyond a "10 year anniversary remake" or something, I can't see it. The CDs, DVDs and Vinyl are pressed - distributed across the world. Its not easy to take something like that back.

I think we've got what we've got.

There's always ways... not now, but perhaps in a few years. A "remastered" or "unplugged" or "revised" version.

Or a version divided in tracks, like what he wants to do in TB4... and making the most of a "several tracks" version, having a more ripe RTO one.  :)
Profile PM 
mvm Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 12:35

I personally prefer a part one/part two instead of many tracks and however I would not touch nothing of the album..., because I love it more and more everytime I listen it.

--------------
Hey and away we go
Through the grass, across the snow
Big brown beastie, big brown face
I'd rather be with you than flying through space.
Profile PM 
Snow Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 14:19

Hi

..just to say how impressed I am with Return to Ommadawn. It was never going to surpass the original version (for me one of the greatest albums ever made) but I was expecting a really watered, tepid version based on Ommadawn. Yet, there are some lovely melodies and Mike's playing is superb (IMHO). I'm picking up new things all the time with repeated plays. Great fun!

Mike has done himself proud - he isn't exactly a spring chicken! There can't be that many artists who released such a great album in 1975 and are still producing music of this quality?
Profile PM 
Liquid Friend Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 16:35

Nothing like The Times' review, but I thought I'd share a Swedish review of RTO. From the biggest Swedish newspaper, Dagens Nyheter. Only one that published an online review so far too. It's my translation, and I keep it literal, not ideomatic, but holy crap is this piece of shit poorly written, so please don't shoot the messenger.

[Rating 3/5. Category: 'Symphony-rock' (i.e. progressive rock)]

'Mike Oldfield's first four albums consisted of long swaths of instrumental music, one for each LP-side. The debut "Tubular Bells" was such a sensation as to make it a template. He has since returned to it with the sequel "Tubular Bells II" as well as the re-recording "Tubular Bells 2003".

Now he turns his gaze to the third album "Ommadawn", and its slightly more pastoral accent with a focus on nylon-stringed solo-guitar. And the funny thing is with what ease he places himself next to that very album; without directly copying it, every part of the suite feels like it could have been effortlessly inserted somewhere in the middle. Even though the guitar-sounds, wordless vocals and muted ritual-drums are recognizable from lots of Oldfield albums, it is "Ommadawn" it sounds like.' Dagens Nyheter

I don't know where to begin deconstructing this non-committal nonsense. Two short paragraphs, one being about TB + sequels. Mike Oldfield sounding 'pastoral', really?! (Tell us again about what a recluse and introvert Mike was back in the day, before Exegesis...). Return To Ommadawn 'could have been effortlessly inserted somewhere in the middle [of Ommadawn]'. Duh! That's the big idea, how about telling us to what degree that idea succeeded!

Contrary to what a previous comment opined, music critics aren't -- or shouldn't be-- just personal opinions. They should be professional music-fans with special analytical skills. Alas, this guy doesn't qualify.

--------------
Watch out for snakes!
Profile PM 
Lancelot Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2017, 13:39

I think it is not fair to compare this album to Ommadawn - this is a much more personal work. Like an elder, wiser man returning to the same landscape, finding there familiar forms and lights and colours, yet interpreting them on a completely different way. (it is summer again, not winter at all...) Ommadawn was a mythical, grandiose landscape. This is something much more simplier yet more gentle and personal. For the first listen I didnt realize it somehow. I agree that some melodies especially on part I could have been more developed, but still, through the part II the music evolves beautifully into something majestic. And you realize it is not one man standing there anymore in a lansdcape but the place is crowded again.

I suppose we changed ourselves a lot since release and the first hearing of Ommadawn - and probably Ommadawn itself would't work now, in 2017 the same way it worked back in 1970s, 80s...
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2017, 15:30

Quote (Lancelot @ Jan. 26 2017, 17:39)
I think it is not fair to compare this album to Ommadawn - this is a much more personal work. Like an elder, wiser man returning to the same landscape, finding there familiar forms and lights and colours, yet interpreting them on a completely different way. (it is summer again, not winter at all...) Ommadawn was a mythical, grandiose landscape. This is something much more simplier yet more gentle and personal. For the first listen I didnt realize it somehow. I agree that some melodies especially on part I could have been more developed, but still, through the part II the music evolves beautifully into something majestic. And you realize it is not one man standing there anymore in a lansdcape but the place is crowded again.

I suppose we changed ourselves a lot since release and the first hearing of Ommadawn - and probably Ommadawn itself would't work now, in 2017 the same way it worked back in 1970s, 80s...

Thanks for this. This expresses very well my own responses.

Some folks have talked about being puzzled by aspects of it - that's not new for me. It's part of my response to almost all his work! I remember being shocked by Platinum, listening to side 1 over and over, trying to figure out what he was doing, and how this linked with what had gone before. Same with Wind Chimes. And Songs of Distant Earth. So puzzlement is the norm, for me.

What I decided over the years was to do my best to accept whatever it was as it was. Especially to try not to wish it were something else. Obviously sometimes I just couldn't make much of a connection, and had to move on.

This new Return to Ommadawn has its puzzling moments, but mostly I'm coasting along happily enough. I was never much of a fan of Voyager, but I like the 'flavour', the reminders of Voyager that keep popping up in this, and the echoes of other music too. I think I see the title as a suggestion - 'this is new, but when you listen to it, remember Ommadawn (and a few other albums too)'. At any rate, that's the approach I'm taking. I still haven't listened yet to part 2 but have listened to part 1 twice. I am still loving that section beginning with the drums. Night. Mystery. Expansive landscapes. Dark hills. Deep awareness of nature.  Passion. Something like exultation.
Profile PM 
Weisshaupt Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2017, 20:22

Quote (Lancelot @ Jan. 26 2017, 13:39)
I think it is not fair to compare this album to Ommadawn - this is a much more personal work. Like an elder, wiser man returning to the same landscape, finding there familiar forms and lights and colours, yet interpreting them on a completely different way....

This is how I felt about it as well.  

On Horseback? I would Rather be Here.
Profile PM 
30 replies since Jan. 20 2017, 13:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net