Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: No Mans Land Reprise< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
bugular tell Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 25 2003, 08:17

just listened to Tre3 Lunas (again) and have come to the conclusion that No Mans Land Reprise is evidence that mike is still the same composer that he has always been, and by that i mean brilliant, the track, imho, is a back to the roots track, very reminisent of the early compositions that mike wrote the guitar, the change in moods, its all there, so for all the people that say Mike's lost it, please listen to this track again and try to feel the music, i think you'll find he has still got it, it's just been sidetracked and hopefully re recording TB has given him the taste to return to his origins  ;)

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Q! Offline

Posted: April 25 2003, 16:02

Yeah, that would be a perfect track but that horrible saxophone kinda ruins it. :/

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 25 2003, 20:01

I love the saxophone.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: May 02 2003, 16:32

Considering how damn good TMB was, I don't think that Mike has "lost it", or that he ever will, but I really, really don't like Tr3s Lunas. And certainly not this song. The only good thing about it is the absence of drums. But the melody is pretty dull, as are the rest of the melodies on this horrible album. I used to think it was pretty "nice", but now I just can't stand it. I like the "sax", though  :laugh:
Profile PM WEB 
theweightless Offline

Posted: May 02 2003, 17:14

have to say no mans land reprise really is great one, just took bit longer to find out that..and that sax thing doesn't sound anymore funny, it's very nice  :cool:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
bugular tell Offline

Posted: May 04 2003, 13:51

how can u compare TMB to Tre3 lunas? they are so different! imoh TMB is one of the weakest of mikes albums, there are some great moments, but for me the album doesnt flow well enough, Tre3 lunas is a good attempt at an ambient album and the concept of the game and the album interlinking is fresh and a welcome change, but back to the point of this topic, i started it really so that all the people saying mike has lost it, because they dont like the synth bass on the TB 2003!!!, should listen to it because it is very much like the old style of playing that we associate with mike, im not saying its the best ever, but the most recent "old style" peice that he has done, proving he still has "it"

--------------
Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Profile PM 
Thomas Andersson Offline

Posted: May 05 2003, 05:52

I compared TMB to Tr3s Lunas because they are his two most recent albums. I think TMB is one of his very best, while Tr3s Lunas is awful. Tr3s Lunas was an experiment that didn't work out too well, in my opinion. The music simply can't stand on its own. I don't know how well it works in combination with the game, because I haven't played it.

However, I am confident Mike will put out something as good as TMB some time in the future, although I don't have very high expectations regarding TB2003...

Mike hasn't "lost it". He has had many ups and downs in his career... but then again, who hasn't?
Profile PM WEB 
Armlann Offline

Posted: May 05 2003, 10:40

Tr3s Lunas on the whole is a wonderful album - I really enjoy it, but I have to admit No Man's Land Reprise is my favorite, the accoustic is so beautifully done and the sax adds a level of power in the song, excellent song :)
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: May 05 2003, 19:14

Quote (Thomas Andersson @ May 05 2003, 05:52)
The music simply can't stand on its own. I don't know how well it works in combination with the game, because I haven't played it.

i think it works much better with mvr... i would say the music without the images has a limp...
i know the music disc was built to stand alone, but imo the music is so mixed with visuals that seems not to be complete without the game...
i've sometimes thought that if the different tracks in the music disc were joined in a long single track, it may be different but on the other hand, i have my doubts that this doesn't fit with the project cause mvr is something open, very free, one can enter and make different routes along different pieces of music depending on the mood one's got that day.
cause of this it's also possible to do different mixes that works well (we know of two good... :))

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Aleksej Offline

Posted: June 08 2004, 21:22

:cool: It`s nice, but one bird does not make a flock.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 09 2004, 07:16

Why should that track be any special? It's not any different from anything else in the album. Tr3s Lunas is a decent album, but that one track never shown anything to me - other than Mike thinks the only way he can show his personality is playing the same melody in more than one track.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2008, 16:07

Quote (Q! @ April 25 2003, 16:02)
that would be a perfect track but that horrible saxophone kinda ruins it. :/

LOL. I had to laugh as I'd just commented, elsewhere, about my lack of enthusiasm for the sax on this track. I wouldn't say it ruins it, though I'd certainly remove it if I could. I really like "No Man's Land (Reprise)". It seems to be where the guitar is the star. The tune may not be particularly catchy, but I think the guitaring has a gorgeous and passionate sound.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2009, 02:12

Quote (Thomas Andersson @ May 05 2003, 05:52)
The music simply can't stand on its own.
Quote (maria @ May 05 2003, 19:14)
i would say the music without the images has a limp

I fell in love with Tr3s Lunas on first listen - having not played the game. I really dug the music and didn't feel I was missing out on anything. After experiencing MVR, I grew more attached to some of the tracks, associating them with particularly memorable scenes from the game. So, IMO, the music is excellent regardless of its virtual counterpart.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2009, 06:01

"Firefly" is the only piece that I think is excellent. There's far better music in the game (in particular "Moonlight Stroll" and "Rebirth Tube") that should have been included instead. If the rest of the album were of the standard of those three pieces it would have been of the standard of TSODE, the record of Mike's with which it bears most obvious comparison.

I still prefer Maestro to the Tr3s Lunas game. Tr3s Lunas is too "anything goes"; and I find all those vast, echoing chambers of the Maestro game quite eerie and haunting.
Profile PM 
13 replies since April 25 2003, 08:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net