Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: No Free Speech in Mike's FB Group, Banned for polite discourse?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
StrumDynasty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 29 2015, 13:42

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Dec. 28 2015, 16:33)
..and TREAT(ed) LIKE A CRIMINAL !!!

It was a...MISTAKE
I mean, what's goin' on!?
This is a new territory for an internet story
And you had to come to the gates for redemption...
Okay I'm done
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2015, 22:00

Same old tubular dot net. They're still at it......Except it's not Music of the Spheres this time. Ya'll seem to be having a ball! Happy New Year. Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2015, 00:27

Quote (StrumDynasty @ Dec. 29 2015, 13:42)
a new territory for an internet story

bahahaa  :D
Profile PM 
crises1980 Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2015, 15:00

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Dec. 28 2015, 16:33)
:/  :/  

....... something weird , bizarre on his two FB groups these last days ! Everybody here know me i'm an old fan and loyal , i follow Mike and his music since i'm 12 so 36 years i'm following him and for Christmas eve he gave me a nice gift !!!!!! i was banned with no reasons or explanations .....now i suspect it was about the fact i shared a video but it was the video of a musician ( a spanish fan ) that Mike had liked his music before so i thought it was possible to share in his group ! ..and then why not to refuse my request ; it has been finished and i would have accepted his decision but no he banned me immediately

Was it maybe because some of those videos go far beyond what's considered "viral" and became pure spam? I mean, I can think of a well-knwon Spanish fan that merely keeps ripping off Mike Oldfield's style... and every single week someone posts one of his videos! Maybe it was not your intention, but it might look like spamming.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2015, 16:41

:/ ok let say that's the reason but why he doesn't ask me before the ban ! it was done so suddenly with no warnings !
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 31 2015, 17:28

Quote (crises1980 @ Dec. 30 2015, 19:00)
Maybe it was not your intention, but it might look like spamming.

I think that's really the crucial bit, though - if that was the reason, it's assuming an intention and responding to it in what I'd say is quite an aggressive way. I think it's one to really be careful with - and I'm sure there have been examples here over the years, where I (or one of the others) haven't really responded in a way that was in proportion to what was done (if anyone's feeling like chipping in with a "Yeah, remember that time you..." then I'd really rather you keep it to yourself, though :P), so we've worked out procedures which help us approach things in a way which hopefully is a bit more fair...

Sometimes a user really just screams 'spam' as soon as they turn up...especially when their first post is trying to sell little blue pills or something. If they're that blatantly spammy, we usually will just throw the post away and at least shut them out of their accounts.

When it's someone who's been in the community for a while, though, we might delete the post (or possibly just hide the topic until we can talk amongst ourselves and/or with the user to work out what's going on) and I suppose if it feels like someone's really going on the rampage, we might take away their ability to post until it cools down, but kicking someone out for good over what could just be a misunderstanding...there's a danger that you're not going to end up with anyone left, if you run a place that way ;). I think it also needs to be borne in mind that fans are customers and a group like Mike's is indirectly there to sell music - enthusiastic fans posting videos are likely the ones who'll post Mike's promo videos for all their non-fan friends to see...it would seem like a good idea to me to keep video-posting fans on side. That's not to say that I think he should just let people post whatever they want, but just that he probably doesn't need to do any more than gently explain what the problem is, set out the boundaries, make sure that there's space for everyone to have a good time without treading on anyone else.

I think it's also a problem with Facebook, that it's not really organised in a way that's geared towards the long term - things are posted, then disappear beneath a pile of new things not too long afterwards. I think it's likely very easy to not realise that what you're posting is something which has been posted before...it happens here too sometimes, and of course we've got various tools to help when that does happen (like merging, or just closing a topic with a friendly note and a link at the bottom). That's a thing which someone running the place really needs to think through, what the policy is for repeat posts of things...sometimes it doesn't matter a lot, other times it gets really annoying, which is often linked to how often something crops up (along with how spaced apart the posts are in time, and whether it's different people or always the same one).

Of course, Mike's not reading this, so it's a bit immaterial...but a lot of this community management stuff is a topic which particularly Inkanta and I have spent a fair amount of time discussing (relating to both this and other communities) so it's interesting to have a topic here where this kind of thing is being discussed...quite nice to join in on the forum for once as well ;)
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2016, 11:24

;) lol itdoesn't help much lol i just would like to go back to those groups and then i will pay attention to what to post now ! for sure ! even if there was no offense in what i posted ...

OFF TOPIC :

Korgscrew i'm going to send you a PM ! ;)
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 15 2016, 15:50

Quote (Dr Bogenbroom @ Dec. 03 2015, 09:27)
I wonder where the Gordon Mikefield idea came from? Rather odd.

Greetings, all,

A cautionary, happy 2016, hoping it will get better from here on in!

I do wish the forum software offered a "like" option--if yes, I would "like" Korgscrew's post and the points that he makes. It is very well stated. :)

Building a virtual/online community no matter what the platform or topic is a process that takes time, care, attention, fortitude, and communication—something I haven’t seen in any of the groups or forums in which Mike has been directly associated. When groups/communities form, there are stages: forming, storming, norming, and performing--a bit like the formation of our solar system and planet Earth—eventually it all coalesces. When tubular.net started out, information about virtual communities was around but you had to know to look for it, which I didn’t initially, and then not seriously until around 2007-8 when asked to do a book chapter on the topic.  I think of Howard Rheingold's work, The Virtual Community, which was originally published in 1993—the information was indeed out there for all of us.

Tubular Tos—I am sorry it happened to you and I do feel your pain, having had a similar experience. What happened: I messaged him to see if he wanted a signed copy of a recent book (music-tech related) instead of going through another channel. When I followed up I discovered I’d been blocked from sending messages. My SL avatar could send him a message—yes, even random strangers—but I have been blocked. There wasn't anything in it for me – just connecting two people (really cool, respected author in the “biz”). Maybe it looked like spam. I have no idea if “Gordon” did it or his gatekeeper did. I couldn’t care too much less at this point, but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth, reminding me of bee stings….the first time not much happens but when you keep getting stung, the toxicity grows and turns into necessary avoidance. It's been back to the music for me….well….not his.

By the way--regarding where the idea for Michael's name came from.... as I recall there were so many "Mike Oldfields" on FB that he couldn't use his own name--so he got creative with it. But it is Mike--he needs a FB account to post to his groups.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 23 2016, 12:59

Quote (First_Excursion @ Dec. 30 2015, 06:27)
Quote (StrumDynasty @ Dec. 29 2015, 13:42)
a new territory for an internet story

bahahaa  :D

Jajajajaja as we laugh in Spanish.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 23 2016, 13:02

It is such a sad story, probably the best intentions of a true fan clashing with a delicate topic Mike doesn't want to know about in his FB page. I want to know there'll be a solution to it.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Dave in Ledbury Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2017, 20:36

And add another fan to the list of those who've been banned from Mike's FB pages.

Hardly the way to treat real fans. Well I won't now get to hear about developments for Tubular Bells 4. I may not bother with it then. How to alienate your fans, Mike.

--------------
"Dave, I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over...."
Profile PM 
SYNTHMAN1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2017, 08:03

Don't take it personally if Mike has deleted posts on his fb page. I've had posts deleted on there and been even blocked from his group by Mike himself, but since then I've re-registered as a different member using a different e-mail address, apologised and even had my messages approved by the great man himself because after all, he his a human being and people fall out, just like when he fell out with Sir Richard Branson and made up again soon afterwards.
He loves you all really it's just that he must find it difficult to deal with the so many thousands of his fans who try to interact with him on there.
I mean, the worst has happened to me in the past where Paul Jones(The singer from Manfred Mann) has turned his back on me because he thought I was a bit of a knob, Bob Geldof has told me to stick my song where the sun doesn't shine when I offered to let him use it as the new Band Aid song,  Alison Moyet has called me a c*nt and John Parrott ignored me in the Winter Gardens in Sheffield when a World Snooker Championship broadcast was held in there during an interview with the public and Jamie Vardy ignored me on national television when I went to watch the celebrations when Leicester City Football Club won the Premier League last year.
At least now I know that im now regarded as the world's biggest c*nt in the world of showbiz, which is a rare quality itself thesedays.
Join the club, mate.
Richard Steed
www.soundcloud.com/synthman1
Profile PM 
Yann Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2017, 09:02

It seems that many people nowadays don't get what free speech is.

Free speech is not about you saying what you want when you want where you want. It is about every side of any polemical issue being allowed to express their view, without being banned because of it, from places where people make implicit or explicit statements about those subjects.

But some people like to have their quiet corner where there's not harsh or polemical debates. The Facebook group is a bit like that. The threads are quite cordial, kind of similar to the conversation you have with friends when you invite them to your house (which means that quite a few people must have been banned).

And since it's a private group and not a public forum, there's nothing bad with it.  
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 20 2017, 04:40

Quote (Yann @ Mar. 19 2017, 13:02)
It seems that many people nowadays don't get what free speech is.

Freedom is a tricky subject really...ultimately everything we do has consequences.

I would certainly agree that expecting to be able to say absolutely anything you want to, in whatever way you want to, right under Mike's nose is likely expecting too much - like most people, he's not going to enjoy seeing things which aren't kind towards him, or things which aren't kind towards other group members.

There's a question of expectation, and knowledge of the consequences, though. What do people expect from the group, and how will they know when their expectations are different from Mike's? If there's a clear set of written rules on joining, and it's clear that you risk being banned if you break them, that seems fair enough. From the complaints I hear, that doesn't seem to be the case, though.

It's Mike's group, he's free to ban people because he doesn't like their profile picture or because they've asked a 'why' question, I suppose, and he doesn't have to explain himself to anyone...but what are the consequences of that approach likely to be long term?

I agree that it's hard running a community of that size - a full-time job, even, and one that would normally be done by a small team of community managers. I hear that Mike has been encouraging people to get their friends to join in order to grow it yet further, something which isn't going to make things any easier (for multiple reasons...).

While Mike is of course a person, his name is a globally recognised brand. I'm not sure that protecting the latter necessarily needs to be all that different from protecting the former - ultimately what's needed in both cases is a community where people are kind to each other and generally feel fairly treated. Still, when the people he's banning are the journalists that review his albums in national newspapers (and that appears to have happened...), when he reaches for the ban button rather than merely deleting a post and referring someone to the house rules, the consequences may be wider than he expects...

His group, his choice, though! :cool:
Profile PM 
Yann Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2017, 08:00

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 20 2017, 04:40)
It's Mike's group, he's free to ban people because he doesn't like their profile picture or because they've asked a 'why' question, I suppose, and he doesn't have to explain himself to anyone...but what are the consequences of that approach likely to be long term?

I don't think he cares about the consequences. I think he cares about making music and the facebook group is some kind of corner where sharing it in a kind environment. I mean... if somebody is rude in your house and you kick his ass out, maybe there will be consequences. But I still would kick the ass.

And think he's English. Manners were kind of important in that country.

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 20 2017, 04:40)
While Mike is of course a person, his name is a globally recognised brand. I'm not sure that protecting the latter necessarily needs to be all that different from protecting the former - ultimately what's needed in both cases is a community where people are kind to each other and generally feel fairly treated. Still, when the people he's banning are the journalists that review his albums in national newspapers (and that appears to have happened...), when he reaches for the ban button rather than merely deleting a post and referring someone to the house rules, the consequences may be wider than he expects...

I have no idea what happened with those journalists. But today's journalism has a excessive entitlement, like they were beyond good and evil, while at the same time their influence is getting lower and lower.

Of course, you're right, he could point out to the house rules before pressing the ban button. But he comes from a time when people were supposed to know house rules, and you weren't suppose to waste your time educating them.
Profile PM 
Erick Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2017, 19:39

:)
Profile PM 
SYNTHMAN1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2017, 10:43

Well there's a new counselling service available now for all Mike fans who've been told to f*ck off by the great man himself.
It's popularity is growing by the day! :laugh:
Profile PM 
Erick Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2017, 13:48

:)
Profile PM 
SJM Offline

Posted: May 19 2017, 20:06

Facebook nearly destroyed my life. Seriously. Don't go anywhere near it.  :(
Profile PM WEB 
38 replies since Nov. 27 2015, 22:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net