[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: NightShade, Schiller and Oldfield< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
siul Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 04 2005, 04:10

Hi.

Nightshade is growing on me, and now it is my favourite track in Shade. Far better than the other trance-techno tracks in my opinion. I find very exciting the collaboration Christopher von Deylen - Oldfield.

Maybe Oldfield would need to work with a producer. Of course, Tom Newman is impossible nowadays, but Christopher von Deylen would be a fantastic producer for a modern new record from Oldfield.
Why not? ;)

I would like more on this collaboration in the future.
Profile PM 
Jools Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 15:43

Nightshade is pretty dreadful and an example of Mike's compositional laziness. The complete lack of melodic and harmonic content or development or dynamics make this track one of the worst on the album IMHO. Perhaps von Deylen is to blame.

There's just not enough compositional substance in that track to make it worthy of a place on the album.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 15:58

Nightshade? That is the "Yello" track. Like a Karaoke version of "Desire" from their "Stella" album All you need is Dieter Meier rasping over the top of it.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 16:19

I agree completely with all of Jools' points. I find it very weird two talanted musicians can come up with something as seemingly forgetable and worthless as Nightshade.

I don't really know an awful lot about Chritopher Von Deylen. I downloaded about 10 tracks off the internet and about 3 of them were memorable. It just seems like very wishy washy slightly chilled out slightly dancy but mostly just unengaging eletronica. I'd much rather see Mike collaborating with someone like Moby who's music at least has tons more edge and character to it.
Profile PM 
siul Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 18:21

Yes, Moby would be great.
Talking about electronic music, another interesting producer IMHO would be "William Orbit".

Regards.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2005, 21:16

About Moby,he came to my city recently and his concert was broadcasted on TV...besides 2,3 tunes I like,he's into rock nowadays and doesn't sound as good as in the past.Hotel is not Moby at his best like on Play,IMO.

Nightshade, I DO love this tune,is my fav of both albums.The first version I've heard was from the German promo,which is a bit longer and those guitar solo which on the album version is just blinded by other elements,on the promo,it ROCKS a lot. It's been a long time that a tune caught me after the first listen like Nightshade did.I'm addicted to it...

I'd love to see Mike collaborating in the future with Steve Hillage doing the stuff Steve creates with System 7(go have a listen,it's very good trance stuff).Or maybe with one of the guys from Orbital.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 10:32

You can listen to 30 seconds of Morgentau, the song Mike played guitars on Schiller's brand new album, Tag und Nacht here !

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 08 2005, 12:45

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Oct. 08 2005, 15:32)
You can listen to 30 seconds of Morgentau, the song Mike played guitars on Schiller's brand new album, Tag und Nacht.

Wait a second, Mike called his album Light + Shade, and Schiller's is Day and night?  :O

Sounds like one of them kinda copied the other, makes it even more suspicious the fact that they worked together  :D

I'll give Mikey the benefit of the doubt  ;)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Jools Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 06:14

Sorry - did someone say Nightshade had a tune ? Sounds like three notes repeated ad nauseum to me.

The oboe / guitar passage in Hergest Ridge (to name one of many great ones that Mike has written) is what I call a tune.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 09:13

In theory I wouldn't say it was completely worthless - there are some lovely pieces of gentle Spanish guitar playing in there. Unfortunately they're rendered almost completely unlistenable for me by the endless repetition of the three notes and - as with so much on this second CD - the ubiquitous pneumatic-drill-like monotony of the trance rhythm.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 09:40

Thats true, I'd never really payed any attention to the acoustic guitar in it before, its so smothered by the rest of the track. But it is such a two dimentional piece of music, three plonky notes that don't really conjour up have any percptable mood with the word nightshade said over them, what a great idea, no wonder it took two of them to write this track.

Also using arpegiated melodies in dance music has to be the oldest and naffest trick in the book. It's the one thing anybody with a home keyboard can do, press the arpegiator button hold down two or three notes stick a drum beat to it and there you go, instant dance music. :/
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2005, 16:56

Well, I've got now two Schiller albums ('Weltreise' and 'Leben'), for two friends' recommendations - one was a '3 discs for 15 Eur' offer with the Corrs and Eric Clapton, and the other because it was 10 Eur for the SACD, but that was almost the best of it.
OK, the 5.1 mix of the SACD 'Leben' is really impressive, but cannot compensate for the instant feeling of boredom that comes up after some 10 seconds of each track, and eventually at latest after half of the tracks. It will get a second chance, but that won't change much, I'm afraid, having tried 'Weltreise' a few times now.
Kind of reminds me of a Klaus Schulze album - 30 seconds from the beginning, the middle and the end, and you know most of it - which doesn't mean that I'm not occasionally listening through all of one of my early Schulze LPs, but I still can't help getting bored by Schiller.
Adding that the sniplets from 'Tag und Nacht' don't sound too different from my two albums, I guess I'd rather save that money for the 'Exposed' DVD.
Profile PM WEB 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 04:07

Nightshade is the one track on the album that I'm having a problem getting into.I do like all the sounds - don't know really just something that dosen't seem quite right to me with it.Love all the rest of L+S though,suppose there's always got to be one you're not fond of isn't there?
Although those "notes" don't annoy me(quite like them)and the Spanish guitar is superb.Maybe ,as so much to the whole album will have to just focus on that one track alone,then decide :)
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 19:27

Thee best part of Nightshade are the lyrics, so fab.
....IIIIIINN TheNIIIIghtshAAAAAde. perfect to me.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 11 2005, 13:27

But yet another example of Mike having the vocals singing the track's title (ok, so there are two extra words there, but still). I wonder if if he also likes singing the names of his favourite TV shows along with the theme tunes...
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 12 2005, 18:57

I'd love to see Nightshade as one of the singles from L+S, the album version, the German Promo,as well as some remixes of it  ;)

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2005, 03:07

Quote (Korgscrew @ Oct. 11 2005, 19:27)
But yet another example of Mike having the vocals singing the track's title (ok, so there are two extra words there, but still). I wonder if if he also likes singing the names of his favourite TV shows along with the theme tunes...

Wouldn't it be the other way round - that the tracks are named after the word that's being sung?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2005, 13:15

What ever way round it is all thats important is that each track by Mike these days does what it says on the tin, so to speak   ;)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2008, 14:38

Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 09 2005, 09:40)
it is such a two dimentional piece of music, three plonky notes that don't really conjour up have any percptable mood

I find the sounds entrancing. For me, "Nightshade" does conjure a mood - a seductive, nocturnal ambience - and is one of the most effective pieces on all of L+S.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 03 2008, 07:31

The album version is the sexy Nightshade.The German promo version,dance to trance Nightshade  ;)

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
22 replies since Oct. 04 2005, 04:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net