[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Nightfall, A reprise from 2003< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Satyagraha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 20 2017, 18:41

Nightfall

This was originally posted here.

Haven't been to this forum for well over a decade, so I thought I'd just say hello again with this track I composed and recorded in September 2003. Its sound quality leaves something to be desired, I had very primitive equipment back then (and the compression rate is very 2003). But if anyone likes it, I might make something new, in glorious stereophonic sound (not to be played on old tin boxes).

--------------
Byrði betri berrat maðr brautu at en sé mannvit mikit
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 21 2017, 05:03

Quote (Satyagraha @ Jan. 20 2017, 22:41)
But if anyone likes it, I might make something new, in glorious stereophonic sound (not to be played on old tin boxes).

But of course!

I always thought your work was very cool, and this is no exception. It would really be great to hear you have a go at something new...and of course it's just nice to see you posting here again :)

Just as long as it plays on new aluminium boxes...
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2017, 07:41

Thank you, Korgscrew! I had a good time here all these years ago, and it is very nice to see you and a few other names from back then still here. And curious to see that the site looks exactly the same (but why fix it if it works, and it certainly does).

I ended up here on tubular.net again on the release day of Return to Ommadawn. Although I find the record underwhelming, it is still very nice to hear echoes of the old Oldfield once again. And it made me want to compose something in this direction again. I don't have a lot of time these days, so something shorter will have to do.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Priabonia Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 22 2017, 12:49

A good effort for 2003! I like it (although shame about the Ommadawn "excerpt" in the section around 1'20")...you definitely should do more

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2017, 13:08

Quote (Satyagraha @ Jan. 22 2017, 11:41)
And curious to see that the site looks exactly the same (but why fix it if it works, and it certainly does).

I'd say the "don't have a lot of time these days" bit is something a lot of us can relate to!

I know the feeling about Return to Ommadawn...I've been enjoying it and picking it apart in equal measure, and it's definitely got wheels turning in my head. Where it'll all lead, I don't know, but it would be fun to have a go at a long-form instrumental piece...

I'm looking forward to hearing what you come up with next, anyway!
Profile PM 
Liquid Friend Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 23 2017, 17:05

Beautiful. I thought I made M.O. 'fan tracks', but this is stellar. 2003 though, what have you done for us lately?!

--------------
Watch out for snakes!
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2017, 09:44

Thank you, everyone! I am already tinkering with some ideas for an instrumental composition, somewhat inspired by Ommadawn. But it will surely end up less Oldfieldish than those pieces I wrote when I was active on this forum, and also more coherent than those Amarokian rollercoaster-rides.  

I am afraid it will take a long time to finish and record it, though. My goal is to have it posted here before there are leaves on the trees (at least where I live, which is a cold place).  

Quote (Priabonia @ Jan. 22 2017, 18:49)
shame about the Ommadawn "excerpt" in the section around 1'20"

Do you really think it is that similar to Ommadawn? I can't remember how I dreamt up that part, but I think this whole piece was mainly inspired by Amarok. Which of course started out as Ommadawn 2. And the bodhrán makes stuff sound like Ommadawn.

Quote (Liquid Friend @ Jan. 23 2017, 23:05)
Beautiful. I thought I made M.O. 'fan tracks', but this is stellar.

Thank you so much! Comments like this really makes me want to record stuff again.

Quote (Liquid Friend @ Jan. 23 2017, 23:05)
2003 though, what have you done for us lately?!

I posted a couple of things after this one, but then I drifted away, never to return here. I will try to make it up to you.

Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 22 2017, 19:08)
Where it'll all lead, I don't know, but it would be fun to have a go at a long-form instrumental piece...

Yes! Please do. Has there, by the way, been made collaborative work here since that great Tubular Bells finale? Time to do something like that again, perhaps?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2017, 10:53

Quote (Satyagraha @ Jan. 27 2017, 13:44)
Has there, by the way, been made collaborative work here since that great Tubular Bells finale? Time to do something like that again, perhaps?

Oh dear! :D

We've not done anything quite like that since, no. A group of people from the forum did put together an album of work, and I seem to remember there were some collaborative tracks on it, but it wasn't coordinated by any of the tubular.net team in the same way as Finale was (I don't think any of the individual tracks had quite as many different people contributing to them either).

I say 'oh dear' because...it does cross my mind sometimes! I remember it taking a lot of work to fit all the pieces together, but it was pretty satisfying when it all came together. It would be kind of fun to have another crack at something like it...the potential to make something that sounds really good is all there...

So I'm open to suggestions, I guess. It would be nice to do something related to Ommadawn, I guess, as our own nod to Return to Ommadawn. I'm not sure exactly when I'd find the time and energy to do it, but if there's enough interest out there, I'll see what I can do. :)
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2017, 13:14

Yes! I'd very much like to collaborate on something related to Ommadawn. Maybe we should make something that is not a direct cover version, but rather something somehow derived from that great piece of music. This would complicate things, of course, but also perhaps make it more interesting. Count me in, anyhow.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2017, 17:57

Quote (Satyagraha @ Jan. 28 2017, 17:14)
Maybe we should make something that is not a direct cover version, but rather something somehow derived from that great piece of music.

Of course, Mike did say he'd be interested to hear us try an original track...

Response to Ommadawn :P

I'm going to have to go away and think about this!
Profile PM 
Satyagraha Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2017, 11:20

Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 28 2017, 23:57)
Response to Ommadawn :P

There's our title already!

I'll try to come up with some ideas and suggestions. I really hope we can make this happen.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
10 replies since Jan. 20 2017, 18:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net