Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Nick TB himself for licensing money???, John Schaefer comment on TBII< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 01 2010, 06:06

John Schaefer (of WNYC) interviewed Mike about TBII back in 1993 - interview can be read here. He added a comment about TBII to his blog recently which can be read here.

The main thrust of his blog entry seems to be using TBII as an example to discuss why artists shouldn't redo their own work for financial reasons. That he feels something about TBII "really bothered me" and that it is a little "unseemly" for an artist to re-record their own music just to "grab a piece of the pie".

Fair enough thought I suppose but for me I have never thought of TBII quite in that way - while it is indeed a copy of the structure of the original TB it has always felt fresh enough to me and different enough to me to be a valuable contribution to Mikes discography.

Thoughts???

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 01 2010, 06:46

"I don't believe I've listened to Tubular Bells 2 since then..."

So he writes this article in 2010 and apparently he heard the album in 1993. I get the impression he's not really listened to TB II - his critical generalisations feel a bit disingenuous to me, and so not valid.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
bob Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2010, 11:10

I agree with wiga about TB11 but would the comments be valid if he used TB2003 or the 2009 remaster/remix
Bob
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 01 2010, 16:08

I asked him why he did it, and he said that he’d grown sick over the years of people “nicking the piece” – essentially copying the sound of Tubular Bells for any number of commercials and soundtracks – and making money from it, so he figured he’d nick the work himself and get some of that licensing money.

Wow. If that is accurate, then that must be Mike's most frank statement about Tubular Bells II ever.

I don't think it's a crime to make music for money; I mean, everyone who's in the business is, to some extent, making music for money. But that is a pretty shocking revelation to come from Mike himself: it always felt to me like Tubular Bells II wasn't a matter of inspiration, but of convenience, and to have that more or less confirmed by Mike is sort of startling.

Yes, I do think there's some artistic merit in the album, but I think Schaefer has valid reasons to feel like that.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: Nov. 01 2010, 16:53

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 01 2010, 21:08)
I asked him why he did it, and he said that he’d grown sick over the years of people “nicking the piece” – essentially copying the sound of Tubular Bells for any number of commercials and soundtracks – and making money from it, so he figured he’d nick the work himself and get some of that licensing money.

Wow. If that is accurate, then that must be Mike's most frank statement about Tubular Bells II ever.

Well I didn't read what he said literally there. I think his tongue was firmly in his cheek. Basically, Mike had another masterpiece in him, - in TBII - he didn't need any excuses or 'whys' really, though he tried to oblige the interviewer. The proof is in the pudding.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2010, 11:25

The notion of licensing money has come from the interviewer and not from Mike himself. Tubular Bells II is different enough from the original for licensing to not come into it - if it had been recorded by someone else (as long as they didn't call it TBII) then there wouldn't be any legal problems. There'd be derision and it would be frowned upon but that's about all.

Marti Pellow releasing a hits compilation of him singing the songs of Wet Wet Wet in re-recorded form (so that they didn't get any performance rights, just any authorship rights that they might have) might be a bit shoddy, but a relatively cheap way of bringing out a compilation.

TB2003 was a way of bringing the first album out again while reducing the amount of money payable to Virgin. The idea of making money through the licensing for this is nonsense.

I think it's a valid argument if you think of it as trading on an established name, as all the TB albums have, to a certain degree, and have sold well as a result (and is presumably what Mike means by getting a piece of the pie), but this licensing money talk is indicative of a man who doesn't know what he's talking about.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Duncan25 Offline

Posted: June 12 2022, 06:01

There is a very cool system that gives out loans and pays interest on deposits over time. You can find this service at coinlive.io/coinrabbit/ and use cryptocurrency lending. In light of this, the activity of the platform is satisfactorily legal.
Profile PM 
6 replies since Nov. 01 2010, 06:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net