[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Nice little idea, ...if it works< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
arron11196 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 12 2005, 06:52

hello all,

Up until yesterday I thought I could sing. Then i bought a microphone to record for this project - and was utterly disgusted with the result.

I'm afraid i'm gonna have to pull out of this endeavour. I would be embarrassed to put my name to the quality I can currently output.

Sorry people.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2005, 08:30

Noone likes their own voice though.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2005, 08:51

Yeah, but this is really, really, really, really bad. It sounded quite good from in my head, but recorded its worse than the average bad X factor contestant.

Jeesh, what a dreamland I must have been living in.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 08:39

ach arron! its prob not that bad!! as steven said! everyone hates their voice!

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 08:47

Can we have TubularBelle sing on it and call it "The Belle" ?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 08:49

aha! if shes willing!! definately! im working at the moment on my own cover of moonlight shadow with the perfect singer for it.... to get my head around the mixing etc! :D

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 08:53

I personally think Arron has the potential to do a fantastic job here, but at the end of the day, it's going to be his decision whether he does it or not.

So, Arron, I would say think about it, try out a few songs and see which one would be best suited to your voice, and we can work towards getting a result you're happy with. If you still don't feel it's working, there doesn't have to be any pressure for you to go further than you want.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 08:53

Quote (jonnyw @ Dec. 13 2005, 08:49)
aha! if shes willing!! definately! im working at the moment on my own cover of moonlight shadow with the perfect singer for it.... to get my head around the mixing etc! :D

I'm sure it would be a nice one, but after this, how about considering one that has not been done before? Imagine a much more accoustic/guitar-based cover of "Surfing" with a human vocal. Make it all-guitar (except for Oldfield's guitar solo toward the end: replace that with synth for a real twist).

Of course, it is all and good for me to ask for things like this. Not being a real musician, I do not have much knowledge for what it takes to make something like this.

Regardless of what you or others do with fan-tracks, it would be wonderful if Mike Oldfield did such "unplugged" versions of "Surfing" and "Tears of an Angel" on his next concert tour.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 10:21

Hello!!
Maybe Jonnyw does already know this, but I've been asking some guy who produces music, how this project can be done exactly...

He said that all of us should at least be using the same software, the most easiest being Cool Edit, he said.
Also you need a cable, a soundcard (don't ask me what all this is), and electronic drums (because that's probably the easiest.) When talking about the drums, Arron suggested that the propellerheads.se site would come in handy.

So, I hope this helps a bit...
Korgscrew, also thanks for the technical advise you gave in a post earlier on!

Man, we could get world fame with this!!  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 10:26

Well,

whilst i admire you optimism and courage to be honest I didn't know that some fine people from tubular.net had covered 'finale' until I saw the link for exactly that.

Maybe we could start a collection to pay for a slot on the 6'oclock news, or maybe newsnight. :)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 11:22

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Dec. 13 2005, 15:21)
He said that all of us should at least be using the same software, the most easiest being Cool Edit, he said.
Also you need a cable, a soundcard (don't ask me what all this is), and electronic drums (because that's probably the easiest.) When talking about the drums, Arron suggested that the propellerheads.se site would come in handy.

I'd personally disagree about the software. It's true that using the same software has its advantages, but it's not at all necessary - I can say that from experience!
You just need to export files in a format that the person doing the mix can read, and if necessary, to make a note of what point the particular part should start. You can do that either by noting it down from your recording software, or just by exporting not only the part you've recorded, but the silence up until it starts. I get on fine with the former option, but the latter option makes things easier for someone who's not used to editing to get everything synchronised.

Cables and soundcards are always good, but don't forget microphones - they are your friends, especially if you want to record acoustic instruments (using pickups really doesn't give an 'acoustic' sound).

Electronic/sampled drums are one option, the other is to re-arrange the song so it can be played with other percussion instruments. Better still is finding a drummer with decent recording equipment, but I'm afraid the only one I could point you in the direction of would want payment (he could give Simon Phillips more than a run for his money though)...
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 13:49

Three things:
1: F**k too bad aaron leaves It could have been awsome :/ ...
2:So it means thats we'll have to do something instrumantal. (or we can hire M.Reily???)
3:Who would mix all that stuff??
4: so do we compose??

keep going!!!

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 16:19

[Hiawatha] Imagine a much more accoustic/guitar-based cover of "Surfing" with a human vocal.

...or buy a few helium balloons and make a track called "Smurfing" with some slightly altered lyrics.  :laugh:

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2005, 22:25

Quote (hiawatha @ Dec. 13 2005, 08:47)
Can we have TubularBelle sing on it and call it "The Belle" ?

Why thankyou Hiawatha but unfortunately I sound much better in my head as well. The closest I ever got to singing LIVE was when a guy in a country band said I look like a country singer, because I was wearing a big hat and asked if I wanted to sing in his band. My kids told me I sounded like Yoko Ono once! And singing "I am Woman" at a karaoke night for my Mums birthday, but luckilly I was drowned out by my sister, she has a gorgeous deep voice, she sounds like Debbie Bryne (formerly of Young Talent Time who discovered Danni Minogue and starred in Les Miserables).

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 08:30

Quote (arron11196 @ Dec. 12 2005, 06:52)
Up until yesterday I thought I could sing. Then i bought a microphone to record for this project - and was utterly disgusted with the result.

You could do what some do in this situation: blame the microphone!

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 08:31

Quote (TubularBelle @ Dec. 13 2005, 22:25)
My kids told me I sounded like Yoko Ono once!

If only Yoko Ono had sounded like Yoko Ono only ONCE. Our poor cloth-ears would be a lot better off.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 08:37

Quote (Markus K. @ Dec. 13 2005, 16:19)
[Hiawatha] Imagine a much more accoustic/guitar-based cover of "Surfing" with a human vocal.

...or buy a few helium balloons and make a track called "Smurfing" with some slightly altered lyrics.  :laugh:

Markus, by any chance have you heard the chipmunk version of "Heaven's Open"? for real?

Back to your subject:

Smurfing I'm smurfing, I'm blue and I'm searching
I've running from Gargamel's net
Morning and evening, of Smurfette, I'm dreaming
Oh, can't keep her out of my head...

(followed by lyrics for "Tears of Papa Smurf")

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 14:54

Ok i think surfing is a great idea!!!

Ill mix it!

I have a clavinova- purely amazing drum machine in itself.

we dont necessarily need the same software, just the same format of our recordings - mp3 is fine, wav is fine - i can convert them here.. so no worries...

we have to find someone with vocoding software.........

but lets try surfing to get us started.... stefan - send me your bass riff as soon as possible - sonilink - you and i can guitar for this one - just listen to the track and just play whatever you feel, this is only a demo track, so dont worry tooo much about it.. just make sure you record to the same tempo and key of the original. i have a drum machine and some drum software but please anyone else who can do some beats please send me some of it - the  bell(end) can you send me some of the synth stuff? maybe the backing in whatever way you wish - but so long as you keep it the same tempo!!!!!! stevenmd... did i read you can play synth? get back to me but have a go at mikes guitar solo at the end on synth.... anyone else PLEASE get back to me.... lets get this started.

my email should be in my profile.

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2005, 18:54

Oh No! Of all the excellent choices, you chose Surfing?! Each to their own I guess.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2005, 04:57

Oh No! Of all the excellent choices, you chose Surfing?!

hahaa, this is just a demo! were gona have a go at something else afterwards,- this is just to see what can do! :D

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Profile PM WEB 
90 replies since Dec. 07 2005, 10:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net