Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Nice little idea, ...if it works< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 15 2005, 10:28

I really love surfing, and it's one of the best songs from the new one!!!
For the 43st time: I love LIGHT AND SHADE!!

I've started working on it!!

@ tubular belle: you just gave us a great mission!! we'll make sure you love our version of the song!!  :D

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2005, 11:08

There's a slight stack of problems such as I don't have Light and Shade and there's no midi of it. Does anyone know where I can listen to Surfing on the internet so I can figure out how to play it?

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2005, 14:07

... I'll play as soon as the guitare with the amplifier
I've ordered arrives, should be next week.

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Dec. 18 2005, 17:48

First off...arron--lots of people don't like the sound of their own voice--think of Mike--he doesn't either (many of us, on the other hand, wish he'd sing more)--so, you're in good company. It's probably a matter of getting used to hearing yourself. I'm one who never could stand the sound of mine, but have ended up forced into so many singing situations over the years that I'm nearly ok with it. Nearly. First started out singing at a nursing home where not many could hear very well (that's what I told myself, anyway), then moved on to story hours at the library with young kids who didn't care how bad anyone's voice or guitar-playing was--they just want to sing along :D --but then I got to working with the kids at church then on to singing solos--scary in that our organist has a doctorate in music and teaches voice at the local college.

But anyway... you will get more comfortable the more you hear your voice and will do brilliantly! Really! I also think of something I once read from a Native American author...maybe Joseph Bruchac, but I can't remember. In a forest, every bird's song counts--that if only your favorite song bird sang, the forest would be a pretty empty, quiet place, music-wise--that all birds together create a rich choir of birdsong. Having lived in a forest, I can admit to even loving the crows that nested practically outside the bedroom window, and the wild turkeys that gobbled sometimes incessantly. :)

Quote (hiawatha @ Dec. 13 2005, 07:53)
I'm sure it would be a nice one, but after this, how about considering one that has not been done before? Imagine a much more accoustic/guitar-based cover of "Surfing" with a human vocal. Make it all-guitar (except for Oldfield's guitar solo toward the end: replace that with synth for a real twist).

My youngest daughter and I were driving along yesterday singing with this (I'm addicted to the song at the moment if not to the activity, ha ha). "Surfing" sounds like it contains several different voices (unless there actually are and that point, like so many, has escaped me), and I got to thinking about the merits of mixing several different singers into it. Well, not exactly mixing them totally together, but having different voices in different parts. I thought of languages, too, to emphasize the global aspect of the Internet and collaboration, but that would probably be a bit much.

Hiawatha added:
Of course, it is all and good for me to ask for things like this. Not being a real musician, I do not have much knowledge for what it takes to make something like this.

You and I, both. :) But as non-musicians, we still listen to music and have ideas as to what could be interesting--just like when I've had other people design websites for various projects--I don't have the expertise, but as a user of the end result, sometimes (though not always) my opinions count for something. :D

Well...carry on--should be an interesting result, guys!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2006, 18:26

First of all, I would like to thank Inkanta for your inspirational words (even if my thanks are after the event!;)

However...

After my recent attempts, wherein I have sung 'hard' and 'about the level that my voice is capable of' songs, I have come to the conclusion that I'm just not making any progress. Korgscrew has consoled me on this, telling me that I am on a kind of 'plateau' and I need to sit it out to get better.

The thing is, I've been on this plateau for a year now.

I'm losing hope here, so I regret to inform the virtual band that I am withdrawing my 'position' as potential male vocalist. I apologise for taking so long to come to this conclusion; but there have been numerous factors, not least of which was about 3 weeks of throaty illness that left me unable to analyse until recently.

Others have analysed the sound of my voice, and to be frank, I haven't been encouraged by their words. They have confirmed my thoughts on my voice. It's a shame, but considering how I only started to fill in the time at uni when I wasn't going to play piano (another story) I suppose at least its taken up some time.

I'll still sing; I could never stop myself really - whenever I feel good and a singable track comes on, I'll still do it. I'll just recognise the fact that it wouldnt be suitable for recording.

Thank you for all your support though.  :)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2006, 22:52

Hey, I forgot all about this band thing. Seems that that never got started all the way. Problem for me is that I can't find sheet music, and I only have these cheep quality keyboards (although I'll probly buy a new one this summer after I move west).

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 05 2006, 11:28

An "acoustic" version of "Surfing" would be a good one. And really, Hiawatha's suggestion of making the solo on a synthesizer could rule as well. Acoustic "Tears Of An Angel" could give good results, too. I know it's a twisted idea, but instead of using them pesky drum machines, what about using random percussion? If we get to make "Surfing", we don't really need super drums for it. I already like the sound of boxes, bottles, spoons and lids. It's weird and Amaroky, but we can think about it.

I could contribute vocals, but only if there are other vocalists as well. I only have a cheap, silly computer microphone to record my voice and a not-so-good method of reducing noise, but if we're aiming towards a kind of choir, I wouldn't mind adding my voice. I think.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Feb. 05 2006, 13:55

Quote (stevenmd779 @ Feb. 04 2006, 22:52)
Hey, I forgot all about this band thing. Seems that that never got started all the way. Problem for me is that I can't find sheet music, and I only have these cheep quality keyboards (although I'll probly buy a new one this summer after I move west).

Well, actually it DID get started  :)
There is a demo version of Tricks of the Light, which is not completely finished, but it's got the drums and guitars of Jonnyw, the vocals of Orla (Jonny's girlfriend) and Arron, and my bass... It sounds quite nice, but it's far from finished and not at all close to what we wanted it to sound like.

It also missed a lot of musicians on it, for different reasons...

Jonny and I did wonder about you, Stevenmd!!! We thought you may have forgotten about it, because you said you'd join and afterwards we didn't hear from you again  ;)
You are still very welcome to join of course  :D

Furthermore Sonilink had some technical problems (recording) so he didn't play on it yet, though I really hope that he will after all, should he be able in the future to record.

Arron: I knew about your decision, of course, as you told me about it... I totally respect that, because I know that you're in a very vulnerable situation being a singer. And I know that you have to be satisfied with your voice in order to be comfortable with singing in public.

Bell(end): did you get the bongo's out yet??  :D

Sir mustapha: good ideas :)

--------------
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 05:17

Yes as stefan said, weve a demo half finished, but as some of you may know my motherboard on my pc blew the other day and i havenet been able to be online at all recently, im in the process of reformatting my freinds pc wich he will lend me as he got a new one, but i cant as yet say how long it will be!

great stuff sir mustafa, hope we can get back on track when my bands heavy season slows down, and before it kicks off again... hahaha.

well talk to all of you soon!!

jonny :D

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 09:24

Quote (arron11196 @ Feb. 04 2006, 17:26)
Others have analysed the sound of my voice, and to be frank, I haven't been encouraged by their words. They have confirmed my thoughts on my voice. It's a shame, but considering how I only started to fill in the time at uni when I wasn't going to play piano (another story) I suppose at least its taken up some time.

OK....this is weird....I woke up from a dream early this morning about vocal coaches--I'll not go into the particulars of the dream, but I had lost sight of this thread for awhile--so maybe it was a prompt of sorts (or not--I'm not very good at dream analyses). But anyway....irregardless of the current project....for you and the future--if it is really important, which it sounds like it is, you might try voice lessons or a voice coach. Sounds like you are at university or there is one around? Do they have a choral music program? Sometimes the voice professors offer lessons on the side or they have advanced students that do--or maybe even a talented church choir director in the neighborhood could help. Two of my daughters have three-octave ranges. All the kids had sung with an area children's choir for years. That in of itself didn't help completely. My oldest one had a rather quiet, though crystal clear voice. A few years ago when she sang "Climb Every Mountain" in the play, she needed to be miced so people could hear. It really took voice lessons her senior year of high school to bring out that beautiful voice to an audible decibel. She auditioned for the college choir and made it (in the past, the group has sung at Carnegie Hall, just like Mike <-; ) but I'm not sure without the instruction her voice would have developed the way it did. Listening to the difference within literally months was a jaw-dropping experience. My youngest one is going to have other vocal challenges, but absolutely loves to sing. When she gets a little older (she's only 11) we'll see what we can do. Guess I'm still suggesting not to lose hope--whether you can do it now or at some point in the future, you may want to try lessons to maximize your voice within. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 11:58

:) Thank you again for the support.

There is no way I'll give up singing - as I said, I'll still do it when a bit of music prompts me to. I won't, however, record or contribute to this - which is why I posted. Anyone who has heard either of my distributed renditions (Michael Buble - Moondance) or Tricks Of The Light, as prementioned, will know that I don't have a pleasant tone. Some people might like it, but i find it thin and nasal.

I have considered a vocal coach, but there is simply the financial factor. The reason why it sounds so important to me is that I was very dissapointed when I first heard my voice recorded - in my head I always sounded a lot better. (cliche, but true)

I originally started doing it just to stay within the music area whilst i took a break from playing the piano, which I never took grades in and learnt bad habits. The idea was to come to Uni and forget them, and start again doing grades. Singing became a sort of replacement for piano, but now I have had it made clear to me what my better 'skill' is.

Besides all that, I have other things I'm involved in - I like to continue my rendering projects (some of you may have seen some of them) and I'd also like to get back into hand drawing again. As I said to Korgscrew, there are so many other things that I can do that I would be much more comfortable with putting my name on it, that I feel the extra time and effort devoted to forging my voice may be unjustifyable, especially if it doesnt improve much more beyond its current standing.

Anyways, this is a different topic, so if you'd rather Inkanta, please let's continue this if you want to through PM, IM or email. There are plenty other aspects about this project that await discussion!

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 13:18

Is it just me or is the word new red everytime that it appears on this page? Anyways, I don't think I'll be laying down any tracks right now anyways, unless no one else will.

--------------

Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 14:49

Yeah!! The word 'new' is red as well on my screen!
I thought it was just me, because I maybe could have used the word in a 'search' before. Now I know it's not that! :)

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 16:00

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Feb. 06 2006, 20:49)
Yeah!! The word 'new' is red as well on my screen!
I thought it was just me, because I maybe could have used the word in a 'search' before. Now I know it's not that! :)

If you see the link of the topic, it's "hl=new" there. I think this is the most straightforward way for the board software to look after topics that have new posts. And its side-effect that every "new" is red.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2006, 16:14

Quote (arron11196 @ Feb. 06 2006, 10:58)
Anyways, this is a different topic, so if you'd rather Inkanta, please let's continue this if you want to through PM, IM or email. There are plenty other aspects about this project that await discussion!

Mmm....absolutely (on both accounts). <-:

--------------
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 06:32

aww well arron i respect you for making your decision! good stuff sir! (hehehe)

so would you want us to take your voice from the tricks of the light demo, or shall we leave it on? ill keep my ear to the floor for a male singer-- and you too stefan!

was great talking to you on the phone the other day! hope all is well there and i look forward to hearing you soon, next time I email you, ill include my contact numbers if you dont already have them!
:D

again, talk soon good sir.
:)

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 07:38

I reckon it would be better to remove me all together, as the track is incomplete. It was only meant as a precursory demo anyways, and wasn't something we were going to 'put out there' as far as I was aware. Maybe Stefan can sing it; I have been told he sings lead occasionally  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 09:15

Quote (arron11196 @ Feb. 07 2006, 07:38)
Maybe Stefan can sing it; I have been told he sings lead occasionally  :D

Hahaha...
Very clever of you  ;)

Well... I do sing sometimes yes... But I wouldn't know if it's good enough... I think Jonny has more experience with that  ;)   *passes the ball over to Jonny*

hahaha... So, all the people from to forum, help us if you can!! Can you sing and are you male?? Please let us know...
Tricks of the Light is waiting for you! And we are too!  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 12:45

Just for your information, I have the following instruments:

*Eminent 2000 Grand Theatre organ including Solina string ensemble

*Roland cheapo keyboard

*hopefully a Kawai K1M synth in about 1 week

*a homemade acoustic bass guitar with a very erm distinct sound :).

*and a Moeck recorder

I can play the keyboard and organ+string ensemble a bit. I can invent some riddles on the recorder. I'm really bad at the bass though.  Moreover I can't play a  lot of Mike Oldfield and I can't read notes, plus I don't have a mic at the moment so I can only record the organ, string ensemble, keyboard (and synth).  And I'd need to make a longer cable even for that... :/ .

I have played some Portsmouth, TB2 intro + TB1 intro lick, Arrival, and David Bedford's Phaenician Games on the keyboard/organ/string ensemble though.

But I'm an inexperienced player.  But at least now you know I have these instruments, so maybe I am of any use in a futurre project :).
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 12:54

What about playing parts of The Songs of Distant Earth, only this time in an arrangement like the early albums, so more 70's analog/acoustic?

My string ensemble and organ would come in handy. Now if only I could play any TSODE parts :D.

That way, we're all happy to play Mike Oldfield music, and still we're answering the man's call for originality amongst musicians a bit  :/  :)
Profile PM 
90 replies since Dec. 07 2005, 10:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net