Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Nice little idea, ...if it works< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 13:22

Nicolas, I'd love it. Remember the wonderful cover tracks "The Songs of Hergest Ridge" by Mat Cochrane? It was HR themes given the TSODE sound treatment.

I could see what you are describing as the REVERSE of this: the TSODE themes given the HR treatment. Call it "Distant Ridge".

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 13:30

I remember those covers indeed. Well done!

Maybe we could even add some other MO references in the more quiet parts of TSODE.

I would aim for a style somewhere in TB/HR/Ommadawn.  Not too fuzzy, but a warm distinguishly older, acoustic and analog feeling. On listening, one should feel like being in the "making of Blue Peter" video :).

It should sound like a long lost album, the never released unknown MO gem ;).

No it's just us having a good time totally recreating TSODE into a classic MO album as a joke/exercise/tribute, with some playing around and references now and then :).

I'm in!  I'll practice, practice, practice until I can play just one tiny bit that's of somewhat acceptable quality :).  With a lot of practice, I could throw in a solo Portsmouth lick on the organ and/or string ensemble :D. The organ can do amazing drone effects as well.

The Songs of Distant Past
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 14:37

I've just seen part of TSODE played live. This really makes me want to give (part of) this album a go :).
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 15:00

Great load of ideas that came up!
Very nice, Nicolas!
:)

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 15:27

I've already found some approximate notes (it's not like I'm totally tone deaf, but usually I end up playing little more than a far interpretation instead of the original melody) for the lower part of the "whale chant" played through my organ.  I'll get the high chirps out of it as well.

I also found a way to play the first guitar melody through organ + solina string ensemble. That one does not sound as it should, but it's a nice first interpretation of the melody.

I've only tried for one minute, I hope to get more out of it while searching.

I've searched some more, I've pretty much nailed down that guitar part now.  It sounds best when I use the analog transposer on the organ to pitch it up half a note.  I've tried to play it with nominal tuning as well, which means the melody is to be found less elegant in a mix of black and white keys, but hey at least I learned to transpose by hand and still play the melody :).

I've found some really nice analog way to produce the lower whale sounds (more or less :)), by using some 16' hornlike sounds and adding wah and echo.  I've got not enough keys on the upper keyboard to get high enough for the high chirps that way, but I'm sure that some (virtually) shorter tube length sounds will create a good effect.

It's amazing how versatile this organ is. I begin to believe the most crazy original price of the organ the previous owner told me...about 10.000€ back in 1978!! :O   It's got some problems, but overall it's working nice! I got it for free, with a broken spine as bonus ;).

I've been playing music for almost 3 years as a parttime hobby, but I've never taken music classes or anything. I feel best going by ear and remembering the melody rather than reading it.

I'm off to another round of TSODE on the organ and strings :D.

Another edit: I've found ways to reproduce usable versions both whale sounds on the organ.  It requires the use of 2 16' voices, an 8' voice, the analog transpose, the wah and echo function, vibrato, orbitone and multivoice modulators and the volume drawbar, but this organ can synthesize whalelike songs. I'd need to videotape the creation of those samples... This is so much fun, using the organ for things it ain't designed.  But it's half a synthesizer anyway, so let's find its limits.

I've also found that most melodies of TSODE seem to use the same selection of notes, which is handy for me...
Profile PM 
Mr_Brownstone Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 17:19

i can play most of TSODE on guitar so im more than happy to contribute, but if not, then cant wait for the finished product!!!
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 07 2006, 17:36

We'd certainly need someone who leads the project. Somebody who can contribute musically, and who has the time, will and means to do the mixing.  Someone who has an idea how to make these internet cooperations work too.

I don't know who did it for Finale, but maybe those persons are looking for a new project?

The Songs of Distant Past idea seems to work on people's imaginations.  Maybe we should start a new thread discussing the details, ideas and how (and if  :/ ) we'll get to work?

Somebody who can play TSODE on guitar is very useful of course :).  I don't know whether you play differently if you'd play it 90's versus 70's? :)
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 05:18

well, as soon as my new machine is sorted, ill be happy to take the lead, thanks to acid pro etc i can do such things effectively, so long as everyone else can record their parts decently!!! :D

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 17:12

Korgscrew compiled the Finale project. I don't know if he'd be interested or not. It was quite an undertaking, from what I remember him saying. If worse comes to worse I could mix it (I use Sonar 5 Producer Edition), but I'd rather let someone who has more experience than I do it.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2006, 17:33

If worst comes to worst I could do it, in Logic (which MO used, but there ends the credit for me trying to mix such a piece...) ;)

I strongly suggest not leetting me do the final mixing. Heck, not even much of the playing :).
Profile PM 
jonnyw Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2006, 04:59

well, ill take the main mixing job and guitar, but as i said itll be about a week or so before im back on track with my home pc, however, we need as many instruments as we can get, so anyone out there, leave a message with your instrument, and than ittl make it easy to distinguish who is doing what.

(we had a similar problem last time with tricks of the light)

jonny

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
90 replies since Dec. 07 2005, 10:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net