Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Nice album, horrible artwork< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Allan_N Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 05 2003, 13:13

I like this album...it's got great production, wonderful guitar playing, beautiful music. Compare this to all those horrible 'celtic' new age records from New World Music etc (kräkmedel, as we say in Sweden). This is quality stuff. But people who don't understand instrumental music (e.g. pop critics) usually don't see the difference between crap and quality. Pads, flutes, guitars and spacious reverb, it all sounds the same to them.

One might argue that the album just 'floats by' (as a friend of mine put it), and that's kinda true...I see this as more of a chill out album than Tr3s Lunas to be honest...but that doesn't mean it's new age fluff. It's folk music performed in a modern way, which really hightens it I think...it gives an atmosphere that I far prefer over a bunch of drunk irishmen farting around in a pub.

And Mont St Michel is just perfect...one of Mike's best I think.

However, the artwork is really horrible and tasteless. It's just a marketing thing...the idea was to make it look interesting to the new age people, and middle-aged women who like relax music. If it had a more down-to-earth, tasteful look (less pink and purple, less half-naked man in leather, less overused font on the cover) they would lose a lot of potential buyers, I think.

It's still art compared to The Millennium Bell...that one should win a prize some day... ;-P
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 05 2003, 20:08

i came back to this album after putting it away just 2 plays after buying it. It wasn't as bad as i remembered, but still comes very low in the list.
I'm sure it must have been purely for the money, look at that tasteless artwork, Even mike must have been embarrased.
I hate to say it, but Simple Minds did Woman of ireland better in "belfast Child"

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2003, 10:33

Quote (olracUK @ Aug. 06 2003, 02:08)
[...]
I hate to say it, but Simple Minds did Woman of ireland better in "belfast Child"

...And I hate to dot other people's i's and cross their t's, but the music that Simple Minds put the "Belfast child" lyrics to is "She moves through the fair" and not "Women of Ireland", which (I must admit) people like The Christians and Sarah Brightman REALLY did better than Mike. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2021, 05:40

An album cover would not put me off buying a particular album, especially a Mike Oldfield album. I have to say, I don't mind the cover for Voyager, it's not one of his best but it's ok.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Aug. 05 2003, 13:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net