Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: News from the Beacon< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 15 2006, 17:23

The Beacon, located on Bradnor Hill outside of Kington, was home to Mike during his Ommadawn era. In its present incarnation it is a bed & breakfast, run by Robert & Shirley Pritchard. Many of Mike’s fans enjoy staying there while exploring Hergest Ridge, Offa’s Dyke, Bradnor Hill, Kington, the local pubs, etc.  

Robert and Shirley would like everyone to know that the Beacon is still up and running as a b & b, though they have dispensed with their website. You can find a description of the Beacon, contact information, and a few photos at http://uk.geocities.com/dickyhip@btinternet.com/BradnorBeacon.html.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 15 2006, 17:56

Great stuff that has just inspired me to play Hergest Ridge.  Hope I find work soon, as I need to get some money together to visit Kington/Hergest Ridge again  and stay a few nights at The Beacon  :D. I'll be lucky the way the work situation is going if I can afford to stay at the campsite in Kington,or a field at the bottom of The Ridge, but it's nice to have my creature comforts.   How wonderful to sit and  eat your breakfast, whilst looking out over The Ridge   :D, or to sit on The Balcony area and watch the moon rise over Kington and The Ridge  :cool:  . I think I fell asleep :zzz: , on the balcony,  after walking up The Ridge.  
I hope to witness a thunderstorm over Hergest Ridge from the saftey of The Beacon, that would be fantastic   :) .  Another thing about Herefordshire, the nights can be so beautifully starry,  as there isn't the high levels of light pollution, that horrible orange glare from streetlamps  as there is in UK towns and cities. No wonder Mike was drawn to the area.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2006, 19:52

When I have the chance,I´d love to stay there :D

Thanks for the updated info about it,I missed their website.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Duggeh Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2006, 21:56

the old website is on the internet archive, sadly none of the pictures are saved.

--------------
http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com
http://www.last.fm/user/Dougmac21
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2006, 22:01

I was wondering about that. What is the url of the old site?

This has to be just about the only time I've ever heard of an operation that gave up on the Web. To me, it is like a business deciding not to have a phone number.

I wonder if someone was charging them too much or something for web hosting? If that is the case, perhaps someone who knows them could put up a little page for them.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 16 2006, 19:37

It was www.thetopbeacon.co.uk :)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Morty Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2006, 14:36

Does anybody know if the pictures in the book included with Boxed are taken inside the Beacon?

It would be interesting if anybody has a chronological list of where Mike has lived through the years.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2006, 18:43

Hi Morty, welcome to TubularBoard :) .

The photos in  "Boxed" were taken at Througham-Slad Manor in Gloucestershire.

I've tried to compile a list of places where Mike has lived over the years, if there's any ommissions anyone able to fill them in please?
All locations England, unless specified otherwise

1953-1966 Reading, Berkshire
1966 The Oldfields  move to Hornchurch area, Essex
1971 Mike lives in  flat in Tottenham, London, this is where he records demos for Tubular Bells
1972/3 Mike temporarily resides at The Manor Studios Shipton  on Cherwell Oxfordshire during recording of Tubular Bells
1973 Mike moves to The Beacon, Kington, Herefordshire
Late 1975 Througham, Bisley, Gloucestershire
c.1979/80 Denham, Buckinghamshire, various houses in Buckinghamshire including Chalfont St Giles area.
1998 I know Mike did live in Ibiza during TB3 recordings, I don't know if he kept his property in England during this time.
2005/6 Possible move to Bath area, Somerset,but only speculation ATM (see Schiller chat page).
       ;)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 

Posted: Jan. 23 2006, 19:00

1992 LA,USA during TB II days.

1996-1998 Ibiza,Spain.I read that Sally was on the Croft while Mike was in Ibiza.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2006, 16:04

There is also the year he spent in Gstaad, Switzerland, 83-84 or there abouts. He also had a second house at Henley Upon Thames (I think anyway) which he stayed for a short while circa 99 but he then sold it because it wasn't lived in enough. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a fair few holiday homes scattered about.

If he has moved to the Bath area he's in with a whole load of rock aristocracy out there. Peter Gabriel lives there as does Sting as does Nick Mason of Pink Floyd.

It's interesting if he has finaly moved away from Chalfont St Giles, he's tried to sell that house god knows how many times.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2006, 18:42

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Jan. 23 2006, 19:00)
1992 LA,USA during TB II days.

1996-1998 Ibiza,Spain.I read that Sally was on the Croft while Mike was in Ibiza.

It did make the USA news when he left LA and sold his house to John Cleese. I'm sure I remember this correctly, with the possibility that he BOUGHT his Los Angeles house from John Cleese instead.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2006, 16:12

I once read that the house featured in the "Moonlight Shadow" videoclip was a house owned by Mike. But that seems rather unlikely to me... I find it so huge for Mike. Does anyone know more about this?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2006, 16:40

I think it would be Mikes house after all, as it seems the same house as featured in the video for Magic Touch, which, I read, was filmed in Mikes own house...
So I think it might be his own house after all   :)

It certainly don't look like the house I live in  :/

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
_ShiNe_ Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2006, 17:43

Just a lovely place! :)
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 01:45

In 1979/1980 he gave up Througham Slad for Little Halings in Denham, Tilehouse Lane, Buckinghamshire, mainly for the airport nearby.

In 1987 he moved out of it in order to find a new home with his then newly girlfriend Anita. After looking at a couple of houses which included one belonging to Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber she found Roughwood Croft in Nightingales Lane in Chalfont St. Giles, Buckinghamshire.

In 1984 Mike moved to Switzerland for tax reasons, where he recorded Discovery (within sight of Lake Geneva on sunny days).

His home was Chalet "le Caribou" in Villars-sur-Ollon 1884, Vaud.

le Caribou

In 1997 Mike made way to the southwest of Ibiza to build a £2 million house from scratch located in Es Cubells next to the ocean. He was a frequent visitor to `Ses Boques´ beach restaurant and Bar Llumbí.

[URL=http://www.oldfield.de/images....Cubells[/URL]

It is also within the the impressing sight of the island Vedra, which is presented on the cover of 'Voyager.

"By the side of the church there is a road that runs two thirds down and along the cliff, to about fifteen or twenty big villas built on the slope. One of the firsts to be built, right by the seashore, almost thirty years ago, was for the Swiss actress Ursula Andress ("007 vs. Dr No") (together with Jean-Paul Belmondo), which has fallen into ruin now.

The road was extended three kilometres to the last villa built for the musician Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells) in the 1990s."

He knew a couple of people there including Michael Cretu of Enigma and stayed in Pikes Hotel whilst looking for a plot of land by the sea. 'I found an incredible piece of and which was right on the beach, overlooking the sea with this lovely ring of rocks surrounding the sea. It just looked idyllic.'

In 1999 he sold his house to Noel Gallagher of Oasis famefor "a bit more than half" the original cost, other sources mention £5 million.

Dec 18, 1999
Ibiza Locals Don't Look Forward to Noel

Yesterday's news of Noel Gallagher's move to the Island of Ibiza has prompted concern from his new neighbours. Noel, Meg and their expected child are to move in the mansion formerly belonging to Mike Oldfield, which is kitted out with a recording studio, large grounds and a swimming pool, but even though it's been empty for months, local people are nervous of what the Gallagher invasion may bring. "I would have much preferred it if Mike had stayed as he was really nice and I'm worried a Gallagher on the island will bring trouble" said a waiter at local taverna Es Sabina.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2006, 15:22

About the house Mike moved in around 1979/80, I just found out a Doctor Who episode was filmed there! Whattayaknow!

(Little Halings in Denham, Tilehouse Lane, Buckinghamshire)

http://www.doctorwholocations.org.uk/mapper/show/10.html

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2006, 14:32

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Jan. 31 2006, 22:40)
I think it would be Mikes house after all, as it seems the same house as featured in the video for Magic Touch, which, I read, was filmed in Mikes own house...
So I think it might be his own house after all   :)

It certainly don't look like the house I live in  :/

Ah, wait! I just read that the mansion featured in the Moonlight Shadow WASN'T Mike's house. It was just a mansion borrowed for the video.

Also, I don't think the house featured in Magic Touch was the same house of the Moonlight Shadow video. Recently there was another band's video clip which featured the same house of the Magic Touch video clip.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
ARROW Offline

Posted: May 13 2020, 14:43

Quote (manintherain @ Feb. 23 2006, 01:45)
In 1987 he moved out of it in order to find a new home with his then newly girlfriend Anita. After looking at a couple of houses which included one belonging to Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber she found Roughwood Croft in Nightingales Lane in Chalfont St. Giles, Buckinghamshire.

In 1999 he sold his house to Noel Gallagher of Oasis famefor "a bit more than half" the original cost, other sources mention £5 million.

This is not factually correct.

Mike Oldfield did indeed purchase and live in Roughwood Croft in Nightingales Lane in Chalfont St. Giles, Buckinghamshire.

However, when he sold the house it was not to Noel Gallagher of Oasis, but to someone else.

Noel Gallagher of Oasis purchased a different house on the same road, Nightingales Lane, namely The Sheiling.

How do I know this? Because I have lived in Nightingales Lane since 1987 and live only a few houses away from Roughwood Croft and The Sheiling.

The Sheiling was sold last year by Noel Galllagher to Dario Franchitti the scottish racing driver.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 13 2020, 18:59

Who did the conveyancing?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 14 2020, 02:23

Quote (ARROW @ May 13 2020, 19:43)
Quote (manintherain @ Feb. 23 2006, 01:45)

This is not factually correct.

Mike Oldfield did indeed purchase and live in Roughwood Croft in Nightingales Lane in Chalfont St. Giles, Buckinghamshire.

However, when he sold the house it was not to Noel Gallagher of Oasis, but to someone else.

Noel Gallagher of Oasis purchased a different house on the same road, Nightingales Lane, namely The Sheiling.

How do I know this? Because I have lived in Nightingales Lane since 1987 and live only a few houses away from Roughwood Croft and The Sheiling.

The Sheiling was sold last year by Noel Galllagher to Dario Franchitti the scottish racing driver.

Did you ever see or meet Mike?
Profile PM 
22 replies since Jan. 15 2006, 17:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net