Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: News from Music Week magazine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 03 2005, 16:37

According to Music Week magazine, Mike's entire back catalogue will be transferred to Mercury Records in 2008 as part of his new deal with them. This is in contradiction to the news we previously had here, saying that only Mike's Virgin back catalogue would be transferred to Mercury. Either way, this is an interesting development, and we'll try and get clarification on the details when possible.
Profile PM 
sohfar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 03 2005, 20:18

Mercury your not selling Mickey Mouse anymore!!! Your selling a Wonderful Composer of our time, make the most of it! they don't come along too often!

and on a different note..

Hea'ven.... I'm in Heaven.... du du du du... du du du du.. du du du...

Wahey!... At last... Mike is bringing it all together or getting it all together...  Ha Ha. Happy!?

Ha Ha Ha Ha!

We should be!

Sohfar

--------------
HEALTH WARNING
This record could be hazardous to the health
of cloth-eared nincompoops. If you suffer from this
condition, consult your Doctor immediately.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 03 2005, 20:50

I'm getting the urge to have a nice basket of fruit delivered to the suits at Mercury Records to thank them for their new deal with Mike Oldfield.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 03 2005, 20:54

So, let's get this straight.. in a few years time (less than the wait between real albums, we could possibly see a decent complete hits output, or decent re-issues?

Sounds as if some-one has been doing some serious dealing in Mike's behalf.

And to add to Mr Devonports comment.. HaHaHappy..

Yes!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 04 2005, 04:57

Excellent news. Thanks for passing it on, Korgscrew.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 04 2005, 06:19

It's good news if Mike plays ball and digs around in his archives and finds some interesting rareties we haven't heard. Otherwise its more re-packaged re-releases of albums that have been flogged to us before. On the one hand I think its great Mike's back catalogue is all under label but on the other I'm trying to imagine what they will do with it all. How many remastered copies of Tubular Bells do we really want? Ho many copies of Crises with slightly different sleeve notes do we really need? Like I said I think its great and much needed if some imagination is put into a true rareties box set for Mike but I don't see anything to get too excited about until that happens.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 04 2005, 06:34

One potential problem I see is that Virgin may now lose interest in doing anything more with Mike's material, and so releases of things like the Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, Incantations and Exposed CDs could well be postponed until then. That said, they've shown absolutely no sign of doing anything with that material anyway, so it's perhaps no loss (and I'll bet Mercury will be glad to release those - it'll be something new for them to release without them having to do much work).

I would personally like to see a decent compilation of 'rare' stuff, even if 'rare' just means things like extended versions that have only been released on vinyl in the past (we had a topic about that elsewhere). I'd rather that than see the material spread out as bonus tracks over re-releases of the albums, though I'd have no objections to them doing both (not that it's terribly likely - it rather defeats the marketing potential of bonus tracks, if they're all available on a compliation too). What would interest me with regards albums is if they were to release them all on SACD, like was done with a recent series of Rolling Stones remasters (all sold as dual layer SACD only, no regular CD version). Multichannel mixes would be preferable (and they have plenty of time to organise that...), but even stereo would be a useful bonus (up until Amarok where Mike started recording on 16 bit digital). I don't think I'd buy them all at once, but I'd certainly buy a few for the extra quality. Surround remixes would make them very attractive.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: June 04 2005, 07:35

If I were Virgin or Wea, I would make such a massive output from Mike's years until 2008, that I would left no benefits to Mercury!!! There's a lot of DVD to be released...   :)
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: June 04 2005, 07:47

More re-issues! wa-hey! and another compilation like Complete Mike Oldfield, this time with, say, Innocent (instrumental) as the only reason to buy it!

Okay, I'm being negative here. But if they have half a brain, they will hire me to come up with tracklistings for a proper box set (great idea, but probably not going to sell that much), compilations (good idea, likely to sell quite a lot with a good tracklisting) or re-issues of albums (not such a good idea, not likely to sell more than 10 copies per title).

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 04 2005, 22:04

I'm now only hearing postive reactions about this, but it concerns me a bit. Doesn't history dissapear a bit with this transfer? I mean, Virgin may have been a pain in the *** sometimes for Mike, but it was the record company which made Mike's career. Call me nostalgic, but will the original Virgin cd's dissapear? Will we only see his back catalogue with "Mercury Records" printings on them?

Or maybe I'm worried about nothing...

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
sarujuu Offline

Posted: June 04 2005, 22:24

It is a large surprise...  I understands now why the album is called Quicksilver  :p  .

You realize of the news!  All rights of production Virgin transfered at Mercury...  It is a f***k good news.  Because not only the albums official will be transfered but also all the bands not distributed, the lives ones, etc!  He should leaves  exits inedites of album or versions new...  Moreover, one can imagine that Mike will want to return on certain albums that he will want paufiner...  Rahhh for me it's genial!
(sorry for my google translate english  ;) )
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 05 2005, 16:57

I wonder if both versions of Tubular Bells (the original and the 2003 version) will remain available when this happens....

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: June 09 2005, 07:43

QUOTE=Korgscrew,June 04 2005, 06:34]
"What would  interest me with regards albums is if they were to release them all on SACD"

:)  I agree with Korkscrew on this point. I would like to see the entire back catalogue re-issued in Hybrid Multi-channel SACD with extras (rarities, b- sides, extended mixes) added as bonus tracks. Universal/Mercury as done a fantastic job with Elton John and Eric Clapton re-issues this way.These discs include Multi-channnel & Stereo Sacd and regular CD Stereo versions so they would be compatible with ANY CD player. :)
Profile PM 
Horsey Offline

Posted: June 11 2005, 02:14

The only thing that remains is for Mike to push for someone to actually do something with his vast catalogue of music. I mean, give me a day and I could release a half-dozen compilations that are infinitely superior to anything that has been released as a "best of" or "greatest hits" so far. Mike's music is so vibrant. But, what I often hear in his compilations is utter confusion (except for the excellent "Complete Mike Oldfield"). Nothing at all sounds related or relevant. Whoever has been involved with releasing Mike's material seems to have been compiling music purely based on sales figures. It's obvious the music industry is in a state of stagnation. I mean, it's recoiling from the sudden realization that the creative geniuses of the 60's, 70's and 80's (Beatles, Oldfield, ELP, Genesis, Asia, Yes, Queen, Van Halen, Rolling Stones, et al.) can't be replaced. These, and many other artists, made it through sheer honesty, originality and hard work. They weren't created or told to get an image. They made their own image. So, fine time for a fine musician, who was always light-years ahead of his time, to showcase his stunning abilities. And my bet would be, it's a good time for Mike to make some moves into the U.S. market. They may just be ready for a real musician now!
Profile PM 
Hatter Offline

Posted: June 16 2005, 03:47

This is definately good news. (You forgot Bowie and Pink Floyd in your list, but you said et al, so I assume that they're in there.) :)

Anyways, I put together a nice set of compilations lately. It's four discs, 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's. The 00's disc is shorter than the others, of course, but the first three are full. :) I'll put up the track listings if there is any interest.

Hopefully, if the company is willing to take on his entire back catalogue, then they are going to be willing to re-issue it, make the rare stuff available, and to promote and encourage his new works. This way, they get the best return on their money. This makes sense. (I just wish that the corporate world worked on logic, but alas (Dilbert!;), it doesn't.) Hopefully his new company is smarter (and smaller) than your average corporation. (I have found that the larger the corporation, the more illogical it becomes.)

Enjoy the music all! :)

Hatter
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 16 2005, 20:58

let me get one thing straight here....
Does this mean that Mercury from now owns the right from all mikes music (from the beginning untill now?)

if it is. I command them to make a huge dvd of mike! i will see mike play the song on tb3 live that we cant see on the orginal today. I will see the hole horse parade concert :)
The same with the rest of mikes concerts thank you..
A new re Islands album would be great.
tracklist -> wind chimes + all the extract songs + shine + pictures in the dark..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
c_haese Offline

Posted: June 17 2005, 15:16

Since we're already dreaming, my wish is for them to reissue Platinum on CD with the original Sally on it. It's a shame that currently the only way to get this fine song is to either "steal" a digital copy from the internet or to buy a used LP, and Mike doesn't profit from either option.

-Carsten
Profile PM 
Ingvar V Offline

Posted: June 17 2005, 19:22

Mike signing to a Universal Company...which is propably the biggest group in the whole record industry! Hopefully, this will mean something BIIIIG...ay? Not just the backcatalogue with souped up sound and tiny differences in cover design. But something new, as well. I don't want the backcatalogue. I have it already - I have all the versions and variants of the Tubular Bellseses...both in vinyl and CDs. Don't need another rollover there.

But if I could make a wish, my wish would be [make a wish] to have something in the style of Hergest Ridge Part One, with oboe, strings and a choir...since we're already dreaming... :music:
Profile PM 
sarujuu Offline

Posted: June 18 2005, 12:06

I have it already - I have all the versions and variants of the Tubular Bellseses...both in vinyl and CDs. Don't need a rollover there.

Ahaha ! Me tooo ! Mike Oldfield would be crasy by TB, unlucky for me, because I prefer original album. But perhaps, it's Mike Oldfield's obsession. We heard his musical therapy. :D
Profile PM 
Andyg Offline

Posted: July 06 2005, 01:32

Now that the whole back catalogue is at mercury, maybe MO will do the 5.1 re-mix of Ommadawn he talked about . He may even now be free to do more 5.1 stuff (which was fantastic on TB2003.) Maybe even the new album
Profile PM 
29 replies since June 03 2005, 16:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net